British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,155

Quote: Kenneth @ February 10 2013, 6:21 PM GMT

I never mentioned the word fear. If you have any phobias you would like to overcome, I'd be happy to help.

Do you first check your patients don't have a fear of blindfolds?

Whistling nnocently

Steve Irwin was a bad influence. When I encountered brown snakes in the garden in Australia, I would be loath to shoot them. So I'd get a shovel or rake to hold the snake's head down, then pick it up by the 'neck' and put it into a sack, tie the sack up, and then drive out to the countryside and release the snake. Did this twice and was probably lucky not to get bitten. But Steve Irwin made it look so easy.

Just Googled the brown snake. Yeah, you were lucky not to get bitten alright.

Quote: Sinon @ February 10 2013, 6:29 PM GMT

Do you first check your patients don't have a fear of blindfolds?

Whistling nnocently

Never tried blindfolds. I once had a girlfriend who was terrified of cockroaches and other small-medium crawly insects (and grubs). If she encountered a little caterpillar inside a lettuce she was washing, she would scream and drop the lettuce and remain in a panic until the caterpillar had been evacuated (see 'removal of snakes'). But she managed to put her phobia on hold when we moved to a new apartment (furnished) and found the previous tenant had let the fridge get filled with thousands of cockroaches. Thousands all through it - mostly very young ones - under the seals, in the wiring, everywhere. She freaked out. It took me about 4 hours to calm her down. And then another 4 hours to take the fridge apart and clean away all the roaches. I needed her to hold wires and freezer components while I was unscrewing things and scraping out roaches. This she did with her eyes shut (no blindfold required), but eventually she calmed down and even killed a few. Then we discovered the apartment was infested with rats, which were also exterminated.

Then your girlfriend didn't actually have a phobia did she? I think that's the point of a few previous posts.

Quote: Sinon @ February 10 2013, 6:56 PM GMT

Then your girlfriend didn't actually have a phobia did she? I think that's the point of a few previous posts.

Who can tell? Most of the roaches in the fridge were dead. Dry skeletons. Only a few live ones around the base. So less terrified of the dead ones. I think she just pushed the phobia aside to be helpful (prior to moving, she had "inspected" the apartment and told me the kitchen was great). Upon subsequent sightings of roaches and little bugs, she still freaked out - as if looking at them or touching them would kill her. Which is irrational. I never tried to cure her of this. It was almost endearing. Gave me an excuse to be "heroic" by carrying poor little caterpillars outside.

I hear that aversion therapy is good for dealing with arachnophobia.

Well I'd say by the very fact she was able to control her fear that it couldn't be a phobia.

Isn't that the point? A fear becomes a phobia once that fear becomes uncontrollable.

Quote: Sinon @ February 10 2013, 7:11 PM GMT

Well I'd say by the very fact she was able to control her fear that it couldn't be a phobia.

I'd like to think that her love for me was so powerful that she managed to briefly sideline her phobia. But that's because I'm grossly conceited. You know, like when a mother picks up a car that has rolled over her baby - because love (or hysteria or a crisis rush of adrenaline) supersedes the body's usual limitations/reactions.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 10 2013, 7:22 PM GMT

I'd like to think that her love for me was so powerful that she managed to briefly sideline her phobia. But that's because I'm grossly conceited. You know, like when a mother picks up a car that has rolled over her baby - because love (or hysteria or a crisis rush of adrenaline) supersedes the body's usual limitations/reactions.

:D I reckon you should keep believing that...

And maybe she loved you SO much she let you go.

I'd probably have told you to f**k off, Kenneth.

Analyse this - my mother didn't give a damn about spiders - when I screamed she'd clear the spider. However I remember her hoisting me onto a chair to avoid a mouse when we came home to find one romping about the floor in our Govan tenement. If I saw a mouse now, I'd look at it with interest. No fear.

Quote: Sinon @ February 10 2013, 7:25 PM GMT

:D I reckon you should keep believing that...

And maybe she loved you SO much she let you go.

Not really. I moved to Australia.

Quote: keewik @ February 10 2013, 9:03 PM GMT

Analyse this - my mother didn't give a damn about spiders - when I screamed she'd clear the spider. However I remember her hoisting me onto a chair to avoid a mouse when we came home to find one romping about the floor in our Govan tenement. If I saw a mouse now, I'd look at it with interest. No fear.

Mice are cute.

I was watching Paul Gascoigne's last public appearance on YouTube. Creepy and sad...

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ February 11 2013, 8:30 AM GMT

I was watching Paul Gascoigne's last public appearance on YouTube. Creepy and sad...

Is that the one at the club in Northampton?
Awfully sad.

How could these people let him go on stage?