British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,118

Yes, my argument was more about the "general" criminals, ie robbers, that make up the majority of crime, not serial killers. Also how do the numbers of justifiable homicides compare with the number of unjustifiable ones?

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ December 15 2012, 2:29 PM GMT

Also how do the numbers of justifiable homicides compare with the number of unjustifiable ones?

It's a bit of difficult one and we may venture into 'Trayvon' territory. Similarly, instances when a burglar has been scared away by an armed homeowner without shots being fired don't make it into the statistics.

Situations like the recent shooting in New York, when the cops pulled up and plugged 8 bystanders along with the gunman don't fill the average US citizen with confidence.

Sometimes just owning the gun is enough for most Americans. Hypothetical case in point: Your girlfriend / wife is doing the late shift at Lonely Pines Mall in the middle of nowhere and has to walk to her car across a dark and deserted parking lot at 3am. Would you feel happier if she had a gun on her for protection? I think it's down to personal preference.

In the UK, it is an entirely different story and we don't have to worry about coyotes, alligators or bobcats when we're out jogging.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 15 2012, 2:41 PM GMT

In the UK, it is an entirely different story and we don't have to worry about coyotes, alligators or bobcats when we're out jogging.

WTF are you on?!

Jogging!? :|

Quote: Nil Putters @ December 15 2012, 2:43 PM GMT

WTF are you on?!

Jogging!? :|

If I was able to carry a gun, I'd go jogging. That would stop the kids pointing and laughing at me.

I've always hated jogging, even when I was fit enough to do it. Boooooring as hell.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 15 2012, 1:17 PM GMT

It took the NRA about 5 minutes to come out and say that if the teacher had possessed a hand-gun, this whole tragedy could have been avoided.

F**king monkeys.

Oh, yeah, just like that she would have shot her own son.

Sometimes just owning the gun is enough for most Americans. Hypothetical case in point: Your girlfriend / wife is doing the late shift at Lonely Pines Mall in the middle of nowhere and has to walk to her car across a dark and deserted parking lot at 3am. Would you feel happier if she had a gun on her for protection? I think it's down to personal preference.

In a country where guns are legal, I'd want her to have a gun. Otherwise a can of mace / a rape alarm.

Yeah, I understand why people in rural areas need a gun, that's why people in the countryside over here can still get one.

Quote: billwill @ December 15 2012, 3:02 PM GMT

Oh, yeah, just like that she would have shot her own son.

Hmmm, it seems that is wrong.
Early reports said the mother was the teacher at the school but later reports said he killed his mother at home and then went to do the school shootings.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ December 15 2012, 3:25 PM GMT

Yeah, I understand why people in rural areas need a gun, that's why people in the countryside over here can still get one.

The coyotes, alligators and bobcats have crept into the suburbs or vice versa - really people who live in the suburbs are evils.

Personally, I'd like to see a ban on dogs in British cities, but what am I gonna do?

Quote: billwill @ December 15 2012, 3:30 PM GMT

Hmmm, it seems that is wrong.
Early reports said the mother was the teacher at the school but later reports said he killed his mother at home and then went to do the school shootings.

Shot his Mom and Dad. I'm no psychologist, but that sounds a bit mental. Aside from gun control, the next level of blame will be put upon the school security measures.

The BBC are reporting that Nelson Mandela has successfully had gallstones removed. Why is that being reported as headline news? Is his personal medical information really anyone's business? It might be different if he was running a country and his health was affecting the nation, but it just seems so intrusive to broadcast that sort of thing.

Quote: Harridan @ December 15 2012, 3:40 PM GMT

The BBC are reporting that Nelson Mandela has successfully had gallstones removed. Why is that being reported as headline news?

I suppose everytime he goes into hospital, all of the news organisations gear up with their 'tributes'. So maybe they have to announce it loudly so no one jumps the gun and reports his death prematurely.

Quote: Harridan @ December 15 2012, 3:40 PM GMT

The BBC are reporting that Nelson Mandela has successfully had gallstones removed. Why is that being reported as headline news? Is his personal medical information really anyone's business? It might be different if he was running a country and his health was affecting the nation, but it just seems so intrusive to broadcast that sort of thing.

Well of all the people we've labelled as terrorists, he's the best-loved.

There's still time to hasn't nelson

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 15 2012, 2:24 PM GMT

As for your argument about being safer unarmed, there have been a huge amount of justifiable homicides in America from armed citizens, reports indicate that areas with high levels of CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit holders have reduced and as is evidenced by the targets chosen by recent mass shooters - cinemas, schools, colleges, etc., they deliberately go to places where there is unlikely to be people with guns.

The gun stops crime is strongly linked to 'stand your ground' legislation. Which was recently successfully used by one chap to defend himself for shooting an unarmed man sitting down whom he started the argument with

It utterly skews sdtastistics

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 15 2012, 2:24 PM GMT

as is evidenced by the targets chosen by recent mass shooters - cinemas, schools, colleges, etc., they deliberately go to places where there is unlikely to be people with guns.

I really don't think that's the case RC. The reason they choose the place would be more to do with a connection with that location or people who live/work there, be it a real one or in the case of the cinema, a delusional fixation of some sort with a film character.