British Comedy Guide

The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 33

Mikey, very unlucky there. You chose one of the worst episodes they've made to try the show for the first time on. That one was, quite frankly, dull. Given what you've said of the show I really would suggest you try to catch series 1, episode 1. The dynamic will make sense once you've been introduced to the setup properly, and you'll get a proper look at them individually. I can certainly see how you've got the impression you have when you've dipped into it in such a manner, particularly on that episode.

Series one was as good as it got in my opinion.

OK, I'll start from series one and become a chronologicalist. :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 11 2009, 9:34 AM BST

I just didn't get Matt Berry's character. (shrugs shoulders)

Well, like I said, I will watch some more to give it a chance. Hopefully I'll warm to it.

The trouble is you'd never seen it until everyone raved about it. It couldn't meet up to your expectations.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 11 2009, 7:56 AM BST

ust read through several pages of this thread, so it looks like I'm not going to get the best reception for my comments, but come on, everybody can't like everything can they?

Oh. And couldn't the sound dept. lower the volume of that annoying laughter? It kind of spoilt it.
I assume the audience would have been recorded with different mics than the studio set. The raised volume kind of made it sound canned.

Don't worry about it, The third series is mostly shit. There's one great but flawed episode (The one where Roy ends up sleeping on the street because he took his shirt off over a coffee stain) and a few choice moments but it's mostly dire. The second series is also super patchy.

The best episodes are series 1, ep 1-5 and series 2, ep 1. After the first series Linehan ran out of IT jokes and he seemed unable to think up any more. He relied instead on slapstick and his actors. The real issue seems to be he doesn't know anything about IT, which is a bit of an insult to the audience, really.

On the director's commentary on the series 2 DVD he talks about bringing in new writers for series 3, which he didn't do. If he does that for future shows, the programme will go from strength to strength, because the setup is perfect and the cast give 200%.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 11 2009, 11:41 PM BST

The best episodes are series 1, ep 1-5

Surprising, most seem to think of the first series as the wobbly baby steps, before it found its feet in series two. Though I do really like the first series.

After the first series Linehan ran out of IT jokes and he seemed unable to think up any more. He relied instead on slapstick and his actors. The real issue seems to be he doesn't know anything about IT, which is a bit of an insult to the audience, really.

I've heard that before from you, I can't say I'm bothered if there aren't any clever IT gags; as far as I'm concerned it's just a setting.

Don't worry about it, The third series is mostly shit.

It might not work as well as the first two series - especially the second - but it's a long way from shit.

Quote: chipolata @ May 12 2009, 9:56 AM BST

It might not work as well as the first two series - especially the second - but it's a long way from shit.

Correct. I don't understand, if you enjoyed the show previously, how you could suddenly see it now as shit; I didn't notice any sudden swing in quality.

I can't believe how little everybody thought of series 3! I thought it had some great moments such as the bit with the police cars in the second episode and the whole "this is the internet" bit in another. Also, any moment with Matt Berry is great.

The only episode I had any real problem with is the last one, Calendar Geeks. It just didn't work for me.
Each to their own though! :P

Great British humour at its best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeg2sqaPfyY

Quote: Lindyloop @ May 12 2009, 12:29 PM BST

I can't believe how little everybody thought of series 3! I thought it had some great moments such as the bit with the police cars in the second episode and the whole "this is the internet" bit in another. Also, any moment with Matt Berry is great.

*Agrees*

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 12 2009, 9:16 AM BST

Surprising, most seem to think of the first series as the wobbly baby steps, before it found its feet in series two. Though I do really like the first series.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that. The writing on the first five episodes is very tight. It's a lot slacker in the second series. Since most people started watching it with series two, it's not surprising they prefer it. If you look at the show at script level, series one is stronger. I think even Linehan prefers series two to one, but that doesn't mean it's better.

I've heard that before from you, I can't say I'm bothered if there aren't any clever IT gags; as far as I'm concerned it's just a setting.

yeah, I tend to say the same things over and over. It's either fantastic or depressing, depending on your view.

Quote: chipolata @ May 12 2009, 9:56 AM BST

It's not a long way. The calendar geeks episode mentioned above - watch the last five minutes again. It's absolutely awful. It was obviously written - or rewritten - about three hours before broadcast.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 12 2009, 9:16 AM BST

That's like proclaiming that Fawlty Towers could do without any reference to the hospitality industry, or that Father Ted should drop the whole kooky religion shtick. We're not after line after line of UNIX lolz0R, but just two or three gags an episode which are referencing IT would work wonders. And I'm sure that they could be done without alienating the IT-plebian section of the audience.

Oh, and for me series one was the best. Series two was very good but peaked far too early. The third had some duds but wasn't awful.

Quote: Lindyloop @ May 12 2009, 12:29 PM BST

Big problem with it was a downright dependence on Matt Berry's big manly voice to generate laughs. I don't like him at all, so series 3 bombed with me.

The internet in a box episode was series 3 I believe?
That was an amazing one.