British Comedy Guide

The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 32

Quote: Aaron @ April 16 2009, 8:32 PM BST

It was the weakest of the series.

Oh yeah, sorry, my mistake.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 18 2009, 3:48 PM BST

Oh yeah, sorry, my mistake.

You were right, Matt! It was probably the only good episode of the weakling that was series 3.

This series has just popped up on Virgin on demand.
So I'll be watching them all over the next day or two.

Is series 2 the best then?
I wish I hadn't checked the thread now.
:)

The series 3 episode about the internet is the best one, for my money. Hilarious!

Dan

It's won a(nother? - I think) BAFTA this year. I'm glad, I really enjoyed this year's series.

Lord, The Inbetweeners and Outnumbered were infinitely superior.

Actually there was no sitcom called Lord in the nominations so just The Inbetweeners and Outnumbered then.

Quote: miss_jaffacake @ April 27 2009, 2:49 PM BST

It's won a(nother? - I think) BAFTA this year. I'm glad, I really enjoyed this year's series.

Good. It deserves the recognition it's getting now.

Quote: swerytd @ April 26 2009, 10:36 PM BST

The series 3 episode about the internet is the best one, for my money. Hilarious!

Dan

Yeah just watched it - hilarious.
I had seen that particular one before though.

Loving Matt Berry as Douglas.

:D

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ April 27 2009, 8:29 PM BST

Loving Matt Berry as Douglas.

He is excellent. And a huge improvement on Chris Morris as the boss, who never really worked for me.

Hello
Having never watched IT Crowd, I spotted an old episode of it sheduled on G.O.L.D., so I though great! Everyone raves about it so I'm in for a treat.

I hadn't watched it before because:
1) The trailers weren't funny.
2) Oh, it's that girl again who always plays the same dumb girl character. She played the same dumb girl character again in The Old Guys recently, and I do believe she was first seen playing the dumb girl character in Doc Martin, but at least then she played that role with a bit of warmth.

Anyway, I put these things aside, made myself a hot drink and sat down to watch The IT Crowd.

It was the episode where Chris O'Dowd tells the dumb girl character that he's seen the builder who's doing up her house on Builder's From Hell and that he pisses in sinks. Also, that bloke with the stupid haircut and glasses is being hassled by bullies.

Sorry guys. Just didn't get it.

I thought I would as I like "silly" sitcoms.

The three main characters didn't have that oomph. They didn't gel. I felt they were quite cold actually. At least Father Ted had the Ted and Dougal dynamic, i.e. two characters bouncing off each other with ease.

And the bloke who was being bullied - his geek voice was more overdone and OTT than his haircut. Yes, we do get it. He's geeky.

And, sorry. I turned off before the end of the episode. I think it was after that boss bloke found a gun in his drawer then sounded like he was reading "oh look, a gun" from a cue card.

On paper, that gag/idea was probably brilliant, but I felt it was executed poorly.

Of course, this is based on one episode, so I will watch some more as I like to keep an open mind.

++++++++++ EDIT ++++++++++++++++++

Just read through several pages of this thread, so it looks like I'm not going to get the best reception for my comments, but come on, everybody can't like everything can they?

Oh. And couldn't the sound dept. lower the volume of that annoying laughter? It kind of spoilt it.
I assume the audience would have been recorded with different mics than the studio set. The raised volume kind of made it sound canned.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 11 2009, 7:56 AM BST

I think it was after that boss bloke found a gun in his drawer then sounded like he was reading "oh look, a gun" from a cue card.

The fact you clearly don't find Matt Berry (that 'boss bloke') funny negates this entire review for me! :) The IT Crowd is great, one of the few genuinly funny (and warm) sitcoms around at the moment.

Oh. And couldn't the sound dept. lower the volume of that annoying laughter? It kind of spoilt it.
I assume the audience would have been recorded with different mics than the studio set. The raised volume kind of made it sound canned.

The studio laughter doesn't seem any louder than any other studio sitcom to me.

And the bloke who was being bullied - his geek voice was more overdone and OTT than his haircut. Yes, we do get it. He's geeky.

And a genius character!

And, sorry.

Who are you apologising to? You don't have to like it! :D

I just didn't get Matt Berry's character. (shrugs shoulders)

Well, like I said, I will watch some more to give it a chance. Hopefully I'll warm to it.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 11 2009, 9:34 AM BST

I just didn't get Matt Berry's character. (shrugs shoulders)

Well you obviously just don't find his shctick funny. Personally he's one of the funniest guys around for me, he's brilliant.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 11 2009, 9:38 AM BST

Well you obviously just don't find his shctick funny. Personally he's one of the funniest guys around for me, he's brilliant.

Agreed. Especially on The IT Crowd. The third series was at it's best when he popped up.

Quote: chipolata @ May 11 2009, 10:16 AM BST

Agreed. Especially on The IT Crowd. The third series was at it's best when he popped up.

A minor problem I had at times with the third series was the fact that Berry is such a force of nature, that the episodes he didn't feature much in felt too different to the ones he did. The balance there wasn't quite right so the series tone wobbled from episode to episode. The lesson to learn there is if you've got Berry, use him!