British Comedy Guide

Question about synopses...

A tad off topic in a not really very much kind of way.

When writing a synopsis for your plot does one tell all the detail of the story or set the scene and then basically state "And then the fun begins" (or, you know, something not shit), without writing the conclusion to the plot?

I ask mainly because I'm entering the Screenwriter's Festival's Son of Pitch, with an idea for a horror film. What they ask for is a 25 word pitch-line and then a 150 word synopsis. I'm struggling to get in the basic details in so few words. (horror movies being hard enough to write a plot down without it sounding all a bit stupid).

So, do I end the synopsis with: (NB, Again, but not shit)

a) "they've got solve the mystery before more people die".
b) "they do solve it. It was Mr X and he did it because of this".

My current draft is 150 words exactly and follows the A formula.

Any thoughts please?

BTW, it closes on Friday but here's the link to Son Of Pitch if anyone is interested:

http://www.screenwritersfestival.com/son-of-the-pitch.php

I would (and do) do a), leaving it hanging to catch their interest in the hope they want to read more. I would not, however, ever be interested in any pitch that ended:

-- And then the fun begins.
-- With hilarious consequences.
-- Hilarity ensues.

Though looking at it now, I do think the last one is quite a good name for a sitcom...

Dan

"Hilarity Ensues, coming soon to BBC Four"...Yep, has a nice ring to it! :)

Yeah, I'm definately leaning towards formula A myself. Hopefully they will want to hear more! And 150 words just isn't enough to condense the entire plot into.

Now I've just got to decide on a title and try and tweak it so it doesn't sound too cheesy and lame (a challenge for the much derided and ruined by beyond dire remakes in recent years slasher movie genre!)

When the original creators of SAW pitched the idea they apparently told the producer exactly what happens as the shock ending was vital to the success of the whole plot. I think they even went further and did a basic demo tape to get their point accross.

So, in that regard it didn't do them any harm in revealing what happens. However, I would still got with your option A and make the reader want to know more, unless your idea is so strong that it is vital to impart all the information.

Def.