British Comedy Guide

Best stand up venues in London?

I have just moved to London and am wanting to go to the best standup venues around but I would like the possibility of networking with other like minded people.

Covent Garden Comedy Club?
"Tat"ishall Castle?
99 Club?
Comedy Cafe?

Tuffnells. (I have never been here but I know Darrell Martin runs it (who is ace) and the one in Nottingham was good (when at the Old Vik).)

Any others?

If you want a good hidden gem... GJ's in Colliers Wood has a great night there on a Thursday called Roar with Laughter. www.roarwithlaughter.co.uk

Quote: EllieJP @ November 11 2008, 7:00 PM GMT

If you want a good hidden gem... GJ's in Colliers Wood has a great night there on a Thursday called Roar with Laughter. www.roarwithlaughter.co.uk

Shhh. Don't tell everyone about it!

Too late, going there tonight! If you see a shaved head 30 something who looks incredibly grumpy, it's not the comedy apparently it's my face. ;)

Bluefunk how was it? Was Iain Lee there and if so how did he do?

Quote: Daddy Maz @ November 14 2008, 11:14 PM GMT

Bluefunk how was it? Was Iain Lee there and if so how did he do?

This may be funnier to you all than the comedy on the night... I took my gf and paid for all drinks/food as I was the one who really wanted to go and then we have an arguement (ruins the night for me) and so she goes in and I go home...

..she said it was very good although she didn't think Iain Lee was very funny. Although she did have a humour bypass at birth.

...so I will be going again in two weeks, the above at least brings a smile to my face! ROFL.

Quote: Thomas McCleod Irvine @ November 16 2008, 7:49 AM GMT

I go home...

Does not compute.

I know, I know.... Is quite funny though, gf was doing my head in big style!!! It appears to be her special skill even if it is somewhat over-used.

Okay Thomas... I'll probably be there next time so if you see a blonde busty 23 year old in the front row heckling the compere... that's me. The guys who run it are awesome guys! Really fun.

Quote: Thomas McCleod Irvine @ November 16 2008, 7:49 AM GMT

This may be funnier to you all than the comedy on the night... I took my gf and paid for all drinks/food as I was the one who really wanted to go and then we have an arguement (ruins the night for me) and so she goes in and I go home...

..she said it was very good although she didn't think Iain Lee was very funny. Although she did have a humour bypass at birth.

...so I will be going again in two weeks, the above at least brings a smile to my face! ROFL.

Well pardon me if I'm out of line here, but she sounds like a right f**king bag of old bolts.

My favourite old comedy club used to be the one at Bunjees, off Charing Cross. Sometimes known as the Smallest Comedy Club in the World. That was great. You could only get twenty or so in there. Don't try finding it though. It aint there no more. The comedy club, that is.

Anyone done a gig at speakers' corner?

I think everyone there is a doing a comedy gig there.. Went there Saturday gone, much much going on. Is it normally Sunday?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ November 17 2008, 3:02 PM GMT

Well pardon me if I'm out of line here, but she sounds like a right f**king bag of old bolts.

My favourite old comedy club used to be the one at Bunjees, off Charing Cross. Sometimes known as the Smallest Comedy Club in the World. That was great. You could only get twenty or so in there. Don't try finding it though. It aint there no more. The comedy club, that is.

In my opinion a bag of bolts is slightly more useful as it can hold two planks together...

Quote: EllieJP @ November 17 2008, 2:56 PM GMT

Okay Thomas... I'll probably be there next time so if you see a blonde busty 23 year old in the front row heckling the compere... that's me. The guys who run it are awesome guys! Really fun.

I'm going even if (please god) it's by myself.

Quote: Thomas McCleod Irvine @ November 17 2008, 4:49 PM GMT

I think everyone there is a doing a comedy gig there.. Went there Saturday gone, much much going on. Is it normally Sunday?

Yes, I think it's sundays. I read an article about it in the newspaper a couple of years back and from some of the photos of the characters who do it, it definitely looked like a comedy gig!

Quote: Bad dog @ November 17 2008, 5:22 PM GMT

Yes, I think it's sundays. I read an article about it in the newspaper a couple of years back and from some of the photos of the characters who do it, it definitely looked like a comedy gig!

It's a good laugh, I go once a month definitely prob better with a few beers as there are some complete boring bastards there (it's not a girlfriend joke) and will be someone speaking there you will want to hit (in the spirit of free-speach of course).