British Comedy Guide

Microsoft Office. (Word) Should I get it?

There has been a lot of debate when it comes to Microsoft Word on these boards, and I see that the general consensus seems to be that most if not all prodcos want you to submit scripts in Word format.

I currently have Microsoft Works, which I'm happy with, but people have said that Works word processor files cannot open in Word, so if I sent a wps file to a producer and they couldn't open it, I'd be... well... f**ked.

So should I get Office?
I know it comes a hefty price tag, but I'm deadly serious about my chosen profession.

Yes, I now there's Open Office which boasts being Word Compatible...
but...
...that means it opens Word files.

But what about the other way round?
Will someone with Word be able to open an OpenOffice file in Word?
Probably not!
Which kinda renders it useless!

And I doubt a producer is going to bother downloading a fifty meg programme just to view my script.
They will just move swiftly onto the next COMPATIBLE script.

So, here's the question?
Should I buy Microsoft Office?

Quote: Mikey J @ November 11 2008, 3:16 PM GMT

Will someone with Word be able to open an OpenOffice file in Word?

Yes, I believe so.

And you can always save it in Word format anyway.

Does works have the option to save as rich Text? That opens in Word without (usually) losing the formatting.

Yes buy it.

It seems to, on the whole. I have one of those poxy little mini laptop things (basically a fancy pda) which I use on the train sometimes, and that always saves as rtf without giving me any problems next time I open the file at home.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try saving a document in rtf and email it to a mate to see if it opens OK before shelling out on Word. If it works, you can probably just rename it as .doc instead of .rtf without the prodco even noticing, 'cos word will just open it anyway.

Another option is to save as an html file because pretty much every computer in existence can open those. I'm not sure how well that saves formatting and things though. Easy enough to try it out in Works and see what happens.

I thought Word could open Works files anyway?

Not bother? Just hope they don't notice it opens in Internet Explorer instead of Word...?

Can anyone see the problem in this plan?

Thanks for the replies.

Does works have the option to save as rich Text? That opens in Word without (usually) losing the formatting.

Does rich text (RTF) preserve things like alignment? ie for your nicely formatted sitcom script?

I can answer both questions at once.
Yes, I can save to RTF, but the formatting goes tits up, i.e. everything gets left aligned in the same place. (no tabs, margins, etc)

I thought Word could open Works files anyway?

Not sure. I think someone said in another thread that older versions of Word COULDN'T, which seems weird, but you know Microsoft!
I've looked on the MS site and you can download Works Viewers and Converters for older versions.
A producer isn't going to piss about.

My guess is that Word 2007 CAN open Works files, but some prodcos might still have Office 2000.

Well you should at least expect a comedy producer to see the funny side...

Word to RTF keeps the formatting.

I think Mikey should just get MS Office and be done with it. You can get a legit copy for under 100 quid on Ebay.

Yeah, I think I WILL get it.

Actually, on the Microsoft website, they're doing a 60 day free trial. :)

Can anyone see the problem in this plan?

Yep, I'd be buggered if he producer is not online :P

Get the home version 59 squid.

Product artwork - buy at Amazon
See Amazon product listing

Thanks Marc.
Wow! That's cheap!!!! :)

I'll go for that. :)
Saved to Faves. :)

It wasn't part of the original enquiry, but potential purchasers should note that the Home/Student version no longer contains Outlook.

I think the student one is the same as the home one.