British Comedy Guide

What was I watching?

A friend kindly gave me a DVD called "great comedy moments", comprising short clips. Haven't watched it through yet but they don't seem to be labelled. Many seem to be from sketch shows while others are clearly from sitcoms. I don't recognize some, including a scene in a restaurant with a very very young James Bolam as "Bob" dining with friend "Terry"', a male actor I don't recognize. They are attempting to pick up two girls, one of whom turns out to be the sister of the woman Terry is to marry.

Is this from a sketch show? Is it a sitcom?

Thanks!

I think it is The Likely Lads or Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?

Quote: David Smith @ June 29 2013, 1:20 PM BST

Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?

That one.
That episode was just repeated this week, coincidentally.

Wow.. that was quick!

I know this show is talked about quite a lot on this site. I'll watch for a chance to see it. Love James Bolam and am missing him from New Tricks.

Thanks!

Truly one of the greatest sitcoms ever produced, Rose. And thoroughly under-appreciated these days, forgotten amidst the over-repeated likes of Dad's Army, Only Fools And Horses and Fawlty Towers.

Narratively, The Likely Lads should be your starting point, but Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? could be watched independently, and is actually far funnier and more consistent.

Seek them out as a matter of priority.