British Comedy Guide

Why does anyone need religion? Page 14

Quote: L.E. @ April 22 2013, 2:22 PM BST

I also need to drop 2 stone!

Good luck on getting down to fifteen stone, Ellie!

Could just chop off my knob.

Quote: L.E. @ April 22 2013, 4:59 PM BST

Could just chop off my knob.

:O

:D

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 4:47 PM BST

I go with my gut and my gut tells me there is a God.

It's probably flatulence. Do you eat a lot of onions?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 22 2013, 5:14 PM BST

It's probably flatulence. Do you eat a lot of onions?

To quote the great late Marvin Gaye, the world is like a great big onion :D

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 4:47 PM BST

But I still believe in the power of love and have faith in goodness overcoming evil in the end.

Me too. And I'm an atheist.

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 4:25 PM BST

Its funny how angry atheists seem to get about belief, non belief doesn't make me angry, its all down to what works for you.

I think you're seeing anger when there is none. Looking back through this thread you are in fact one of the people who comes across as being angry.
But it's hard to tell when it's words on a page, probably none of us are angry, just sharing our opinions.

I always think the sad thing is when people dis religion they don't know what it is. Up until a couple of hundred years ago in the West there was no real concept of religion it was simply how you thought. The church was where people studied, built telescopes. It wasn't so much about believing in Jesus or whatever. But rather a way of socially organizing thought and collective social concensouse. Now in these post Darwin times the belief in God and collective religious identity can start to be seen separately from actual knowledge. Previously to study maths and biology was to study God's supposed plan.
Nowadays most strict religious belief is more a weird hodge podge of old faith, romanticisim and political identity. The belief that drives suicide bombers is not a pure faith in God, but more a bastardised mixture of honour, fillial duty and politcised anger.

Quote: sootyj @ April 22 2013, 6:35 PM BST

I always think the sad thing is when people dis religion they don't know what it is. Up until a couple of hundred years ago in the West there was no real concept of religion it was simply how you thought. The church was where people studied, built telescopes. It wasn't so much about believing in Jesus or whatever. But rather a way of socially organizing thought and collective social concensouse. Now in these post Darwin times the belief in God and collective religious identity can start to be seen separately from actual knowledge. Previously to study maths and biology was to study God's supposed plan.

What a load of horseshit.

The Dark Ages were called the Dark Ages for a reason, y'know.

You do realise that the idea of calling them the dark ages is more than a little dated.

And as an era there was pretty much the same amount of learning as preceded it.

Also that I said religion reflects a prescientific mode of thought. So what people are criticising as religion is a dated and/or a minority point of view.

Silly person.

Quote: zooo @ April 22 2013, 6:31 PM BST

Me too. And I'm an atheist.

I think you're seeing anger when there is none. Looking back through this thread you are in fact one of the people who comes across as being angry.
But it's hard to tell when it's words on a page, probably none of us are angry, just sharing our opinions.

No I'm not angry, I'm just stating my views, if you look through the thread I have said the same thing all the way through. I must admit to being irritated by getting constantly misrepresented as some representative of organised religion, despite stating over and over my position. All I have ever said was I believe in God. There certainly appears to be some irritation on the part of others as I have been called mad, amongst other things. But I have nothing to be angry about, I have nothing to justify, but if people keep asking I will keep saying the same thing, I am not about to hide my beliefs.

Also you seem to think I am judging you or calling you immoral because you are an atheist. Religion of any sort does not make you good or bad, any more than belief or disbelief does, you are good person if you follow the precepts of a moral code religious or otherwise. As far as I am concerned your beliefs in no way reflect on your behaviour as a person. But again I just happen to believe in God, I have been atheist in the past, I didn't have some Damesian conversion I just slowly came to my own conclusions. unfashionable I know in this day and age.

Quote: zooo @ April 22 2013, 6:31 PM BST

I think you're seeing anger when there is none.

Although to be fair, he is the only person in this thread who's had his each and every post pulled to pieces. Bussell seemed to spend most of last night, and most of his last few remaining posts on this earth, taking extreme umbrage at the fact atheists shouldn't celebrate Christmas.

Nothing wrong with an instinctive belief in something greater and more glorious than one's self. It's inspired some pretty amazing people; and it doesn't really matter if it's a vague sense of a greater creator or that your atoms are made from Star matter.
It's the same thing we're more than a bag of flesh living for 70 years.

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 6:47 PM BST

No I'm not angry, I'm just stating my views, if you look through the thread I have said the same thing all the way through. I must admit to being irritated by getting constantly misrepresented as some representative of organised religion, despite stating over and over my position. All I have ever said was I believe in God. There certainly appears to be some irritation on the part of others as I have been called mad, amongst other things. But I have nothing to be angry about, I have nothing to justify, but if people keep asking I will keep saying the same thing, I am not about to hide my beliefs.

I think if you'd just said that in the first place, without the second paragraph about atheists (which you now say was a joke) hardly anything that came after would have been said.

Quote: chipolata @ April 22 2013, 6:50 PM BST

Although to be fair, he is the only person in this thread who's had his each and every post pulled to pieces. Bussell seemed to spend most of last night, and most of his last few remaining posts on this earth, taking extreme umbrage at the fact atheists shouldn't celebrate Christmas.

Fairpoint

although I find sanitised aetheist Christmas to be such an odd unpleasant festival. I mean you're welcome to it, but do you understand what you're rejecting?