British Comedy Guide

Why does anyone need religion? Page 13

Have you had any issues with changing then? Or do you find the two similar enough to be okay with it.

Quote: zooo @ April 22 2013, 1:56 PM BST

Have you had any issues with changing then? Or do you find the two similar enough to be okay with it.

Well it's a long process, so although has been easy it's a lot to learn and find out about. They are similar enough as the stories have the same beginning, but the traditions are very different.

I think the Jewish religion is one of the more fun ones. Well, bits of it. Especially the stamping on the glass and the sitting on a chair being hoisted about in the air at weddings.

That's the bit I'm scared about. I don't want to fall off the chair at my wedding!

Hehe. Yes that would be a bit scary. Make sure the people holding the chairs have had plenty of practice (or more importantly aren't drunk).

Godot I said I believed people have a right to have faith and I called that tolerance.

By citing such extremes,your reply comes across as a bit of a fudge to be honest. more the like machinations of a Goebbels than Gandhi

It is blatantly obvious that no right thinking person would condone thees people actions so why refer to them?

The question was on faith and an individuals choice to have it,not what they did with it!

Quote: zooo @ April 22 2013, 2:13 PM BST

Hehe. Yes that would be a bit scary. Make sure the people holding the chairs have had plenty of practice (or more importantly aren't drunk).

Indeed. My friend Drunk James will not be allowed to hold me up!

I also need to drop 2 stone!

Pff, you'll disappear!

Perhaps I should change my answer... I need religion so I have to lose two stone so no one drops me on my wedding day. ;)

Laughing out loud

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 22 2013, 11:37 AM BST

Did something supernatural happen? Or did things just work out the way you hoped they would according to the normal laws of physics?

I never pray for myself only for others. It would be to long, and frankly to personal a story to tell. But some very important prayers have been answered.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 22 2013, 12:15 PM BST

It's their caring nature. They don't want you to be disappointed. And they don't want your madness infringing on their lives.

I'd rather be disappointed later than now. Madness, infringing, dear Oh dear,I don't refer to your lack of belief as madness, your non belief is your belief. Its funny how angry atheists seem to get about belief, non belief doesn't make me angry, its all down to what works for you.

And can I say this once more, because people don't seem to be able to grasp this concept. I am not a member of any religious organisation of any brand of faith, I am not a member of any religious community and have no interest in being in one.I do not seek the solace of other peoples beliefs I have my own, I believe in God, pure and simple, not Jesus, not Mohammed, not Buddha, just God. I do not want to be a member of any orgainised faith, I do not want to be part of an atheist cabal, I just believe in God.

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 4:25 PM BST

I never pray for myself only for others. It would be to long, and frankly to personal a story to tell. But some very important prayers have been answered.

I wouldn't wish to delve into private matters, but I'll pose a few hypotheticals.

1) You prayed for rain so your brother's farm wouldn't go out of business.

Outcome: a God intervened in the weather, causing it to rain over your brother's farm, making a nonsense of all meteorological science.

Alternative explanation: it was going to rain anyway.

2) You prayed for your brother's wife not to leave him.

Outcome: a God intervened in your brother's wife's mind, making her stay with him. We have no free will.

Alternative explanation: she was going to stay with him anyway.

3) You prayed for your brother's cancer to clear up.

Outcome: a God intervened, curing your brother of cancer, throwing all medical science into doubt.

Alternative explanation: the chemo worked.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 22 2013, 4:35 PM BST

I wouldn't wish to delve into private matters, but I'll pose a few hypotheticals.

1) You prayed for rain so your brother's farm wouldn't go out of business.

Outcome: a God intervened in the weather, causing it to rain over your brother's farm, making a nonsense of all meteorological science.

Alternative explanation: it was going to rain anyway.

2) You prayed for your brother's wife not to leave him.

Outcome: a God intervened in your brother's wife's mind, making her stay with him. We have no free will.

Alternative explanation: she was going to stay with him anyway.

3) You prayed for your brother's cancer to clear up.

Outcome: a God intervened, curing your brother of cancer, throwing all medical science into doubt.

Alternative explanation: the chemo worked.

That is one way of looking at it, and nothing wrong with that. But that's not how it felt to me, life isn't purely black and white, There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 4:38 PM BST

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

But fewer by the day.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 22 2013, 4:41 PM BST

But fewer by the day.

What we know in my opinion is still comparable to an ants knowledge of Africa. There is so much we don't, and probably never will never know, but there's nothing wrong with searching. But I still believe in the power of love and have faith in goodness overcoming evil in the end. I just can't be bothered being cynical, I go with my gut and my gut tells me there is a God.