British Comedy Guide

Derek - Series 1 Page 27

Quote: Jinky @ March 7 2013, 11:18 PM GMT

(hold screen upside down to find Gervais' target audience)

I hope you know I have just split my "Sea Monkeys" as I turned my laptop upside down! cheers :O Teary

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ March 7 2013, 2:29 PM GMT

I think it's safe to say if Ricky Gervais hadn't written and starred in Derek everyone would love it.

I rather feel that, if Gervais hadn't written it, I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes, instead of giving two episodes the benefit of the doubt before giving up.

But not angry at anyone who did like it, mind, just to avoid another 6 pages of argument. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Jinky @ March 7 2013, 11:08 PM GMT

Let me guess.

Mod likes Gervais. Posters don't like Gervais. Mod closes thread.

I'm going to have to try and catch up on this show at some point, only saw the first ep. I do find it hard to watch shows with little to no story or plot, though.

Oooooh I missed a ding dong.

I actually quite liked Derek. I am not in love with it, I don't want to marry it, nor have its babies but it was quite nice to watch.

Quote: Jinky @ March 7 2013, 11:18 PM GMT

(hold screen upside down to find Gervais' target audience)

I did that 3 times before realising my pad automatically adjusts for the angle it's held at.

Still didn't get a grip on Kev and I don't think he fitted into the show at all. I finally started to see Derek not 'Ricky doing a disabled man'. Choked at the end when he ran back to the car...I do like a feelgood moment, ok, a lot of the show layed on the emotional push pull and moral lessons a tad heavy but it worked as we were supposed to be seeing it through Derek's eyes after all.

Kev exists because they wanted to have a lot of slapstick in the pilot.

But people complained about making Derek the butt of the jokes so they just translated it to Kev.

Kinda like being told off for making Love Thy Neighbour racist, so they introduce Adolf Hitler as a lodger.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 8 2013, 10:14 AM GMT

I finally started to see Derek not 'Ricky doing a disabled man'. Choked at the end

Oh yeah! What Derek are you watching? :O

Nigel we are all entitled to have an opinion remember. Now be careful or you too could end up with an ASBO.

I know but I couldn't resist :D

Quote: Nigel Ball @ March 8 2013, 1:16 PM GMT

I know but I couldn't resist :D

Must be all that hair in your eyes Nigel :P

Oh you are cheeky ;) :D

:D

Well , I have personally enjoyed this series. It's made me laugh and cry. Episode 6 though was brilliantly written and performed by all the cast. Okay , it only had a few moments were I chuckled but it was just fantastic. A very sad end! But Well Done Ricky!

I find it a little curious that a show like this can get 27 pages worth of comment (including from people who seemingly continued to watch it even when they didn't like it) whilst other brand new TV comedies like Way to Go or Bob Servant were lucky to get 1 or 2 pages...