British Comedy Guide

Derek - Series 1 Page 18

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ February 28 2013, 7:04 PM GMT

What the hell is "hat tripe"?

An unappetising school dinner. It's made from mixed metaphors.

:D

Quote: Aaron @ February 28 2013, 6:35 PM GMT

Last night's episode made me think of one word: sledgehammer.

Oh? but they did a tribute to Duran Duran, not Peter Gabriel.

I actually rather enjoyed last night's episode. It didn't have too much nauseating sentimentality, Kev had some good lines and his character seemed a bit more three dimensional and not just a pervert crowbarred in for cheap sexual gags, and it had a nice ending that didn't make me want to throw up. I must be getting soft...

Quote: sootyj @ February 28 2013, 6:56 PM GMT

My Family is much funnier.

This is just a weird vanity project.

I said the My Family slot, which I'm sure even lamestream comedy fan Aaron would admit has housed some abominations over the years. And you miss the point, I too think it's a bad show but I can imagine with some slight pruning this manipulative and mawkish claptrap would go down well pre-watershed somewhere. Incidentally, what are the ratings like? Have they held up or collapsed like Life's Too Short?

The figures for the first three dropped steadily - 2.32 million - 1.98 million -1.79 million.
I can't imagine the pattern would have reversed for any reason.

Quote: chipolata @ February 28 2013, 7:20 PM GMT

I said the My Family slot, which I'm sure even lamestream comedy fan Aaron would admit has housed some abominations over the years. And you miss the point, I too think it's a bad show but I can imagine with some slight pruning this manipulative and mawkish claptrap would go down well pre-watershed somewhere. Incidentally, what are the ratings like? Have they held up or collapsed like Life's Too Short?

It's when Ricky said that none of the characters were all upfront and had no depth that it just didn't have a chance.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ February 28 2013, 7:04 PM GMT

What the hell is "hat tripe"?

It was "old hat tripe". in other words its "nothing new tasteless rubbish!"

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Just caught up with the last couple of episodes. Thought five was the best yet as Kev was fleshed out a bit and Gervais managed to write a new character that wasn't terribly hackneyed. I think it has got better, however it is still pretty hit or miss. Was cringing at the 'old school friend' character, it was like a child's portrayal of a 'nasty posh lady'.

I loved this series, I can't wait for the last episode. I want there to be another series of this.

Well, I didn't think that episode completely sucked. I might even stretch to say it was not bad at all.

Quote: george roper @ March 1 2013, 12:03 AM GMT

I loved this series, I can't wait for the last episode. I want there to be another series of this.

Thank You George , I was hoping that someone else would come out of the woodwork. I myself also love this series but I did feel the first couple of episodes a bit shaky it has gone on to become better and better each week. :D

I personally love "Derek". As someone else said on this forum Gervais produces a "labour of love" instead of his usual pieces of exaggerated bad luck. "Life's Too Short", for instance, went too far to be enjoyable (I stopped watching after the 3rd episode). But "Derek" is silly but wholly humane. Kev is definitely not the best character although Pilkington is doing a great job (I think it's the first time Gervais has given him something else than the "nitwit buffoon" part).
In a nutshell, Ricky Gervais has reached another standard, quite different from the"Office-Extras" genre and the "Idiot Abroad-R. Gervais Show-Life's Too Short" one-man buffoonery show. And the mockumentary aspect is not necessary in "Derek", it only serves to make the emotional sequences...emotional.
This year I think that, if we like Gervais, we may enjoy a "revival" of the man, with the return of David Brent also.