British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,154

And yet you girlz drooled over Toby McGuire in Spiderman... ;)

Quote: zooo @ February 10 2013, 5:56 PM GMT

Either way, suggesting casually that someone 'get over' a phobia is a pretty dumb thing to do.

No it isn't. If someone has been raised to be terrified of spiders or to believe in ghosts or God, then they can unlearn such irrational behavior. It just takes common sense. I have a cousin in Australia who is terrified of spiders and had passed the arachnophobia on to her two young children. When I had to look after her kids for two weeks, I was able to teach them not to run screaming and shrieking whenever they saw a spider. I taught them how to identify harmless spiders, and how to identify the few nasty ones to avoid touching. Teaching people respect for nature is better than keeping them dumb.

Quote: Sinon @ February 10 2013, 6:02 PM GMT

It wasn't me that did that tough was it?... But you 'casually' quoted my post.

Sorry, you're right! I quoted the wrong post. :(

Quote: Kenneth @ February 10 2013, 6:03 PM GMT

No it isn't. If someone has been raised to be terrified of spiders or to believe in ghosts or God, then they can unlearn such irrational behavior. It just takes common sense. I have a cousin in Australia who is terrified of spiders and had passed the arachnophobia on to her two young children. When I had to look after her kids for two weeks, I was able to teach them not to run screaming and shrieking whenever they saw a spider. I taught them how to identify harmless spiders, and how to identify the few nasty ones to avoid touching. Teaching people respect for nature is better than keeping them dumb.

You don't understand phobias.
Of course some people can have therapy and unlearn them. But it is not simply a matter of getting over it or common sense.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 10 2013, 6:03 PM GMT

When I had to look after her kids for two weeks, I was able to teach them not to run screaming and shrieking whenever they saw a spider. I taught them how to identify harmless spiders, and how to identify the few nasty ones to avoid touching. Teaching people respect for nature is better than keeping them dumb.

They weren't phobic then were they. They were just scared. I'm scared of lots of things, but only phobic of one.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ February 10 2013, 6:02 PM GMT

And yet you girlz drooled over Toby McGuire in Spiderman... ;)

Oh yeah, so sexy...

Quote: zooo @ February 10 2013, 6:09 PM GMT

They weren't phobic then were they. They were just scared. I'm scared of lots of things, but only phobic of one.

That.

Lol, what the dickens is that about.

Quote: zooo @ February 10 2013, 6:10 PM GMT

Lol, what the dickens is that about.

Somebody hasn't seen Spiderman 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w

Quote: Harridan @ February 10 2013, 6:11 PM GMT

Somebody hasn't seen Spiderman 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w

Wow. Maybe I should be glad I haven't.

You don't understand phobias.
Of course some people can have therapy and unlearn them. But it is not simply a matter of getting over it or common sense.

Phobias, like hot showers, are for soft people. I used to have a phobia about entering a room full of strangers (or worse yet, people I knew) but I soon managed to cure this simply by drinking a bottle of cheap vodka before entering the room.

Lol, okay.

Maybe I shall use a bottle of cheap vodka (and a match) to set fire to alllllll the eight legged beasts.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 10 2013, 6:14 PM GMT

Phobias, like hot showers, are for soft people. I used to have a phobia about entering a room full of strangers (or worse yet, people I knew) but I soon managed to cure this simply by drinking a bottle of cheap vodka before entering the room.

Fears and phobias are not the same. Don't be so patronising.

They weren't phobic then were they. They were just scared.

I dunno. Their mother claims to be arachnophobic and was passing it on to them, but they were young enough to not get the deep-seated irrational fear permanently engraved in their brains. Snakes, now they're something to be wary of, except for pythons.

I'm not scared of snakes at all.

Although of course if I randomly came across one I wouldn't go anywhere near the bitch.

Quote: Harridan @ February 10 2013, 6:15 PM GMT

Fears and phobias are not the same. Don't be so patronising.

I never mentioned the word fear. If you have any phobias you would like to overcome, I'd be happy to help.

Kenneth thinks he's Crocodile Dundee.
He can hypnotise any creature to do his bidding.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 10 2013, 6:21 PM GMT

I never mentioned the word fear. If you have any phobias you would like to overcome, I'd be happy to help.

Is this the ole "magic wand" routine? Smarmy