British Comedy Guide

Derek - Series 1 Page 10

Quote: Lee @ February 8 2013, 12:42 PM GMT

That was my reference.

I'm so sorry.

Whether a disabled person was being used for entertainment.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2013, 12:43 PM GMT

I'm so sorry.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 8 2013, 12:43 PM GMT

Whether a disabled person was being used for entertainment.

Ricky certainly isn't!

You mean exploited for entertainment? Unlike the rest of Channel 4's freak TV shows?

Quote: Lee @ February 8 2013, 12:38 PM GMT

Next you will be telling me it's wrong for an L.D man to play someone without a L.D. Or a black man to play a white woman. Or a white woman to play a white woman.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Certainly one of the most important and influential films that moved the care debate in this country was "Loving Walter" starring Sir Ian McKellen, a role I think would have been a struggle for a man with commensurate disabilities.

It's the cheapness and exploitativeness of the role I dislike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKI63W8tCSM

Now check out this clip and tell me if you think there's a similarity between him and Derek?

Whether disabled or LD actors are used are not, opinions are going to conflict depending on where you are coming from.

Quote: sootyj @ February 8 2013, 12:56 PM GMT

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Certainly one of the most important and influential films that moved the care debate in this country was "Loving Walter" starring Sir Ian McKellen a role I think would have been a struggle for a man with commensurate disabilities.

It's the cheapness and exploitativeness of the role I dislike.

I was being deliberately facetious.

Why couldn't a person with L.D play any role? Isn't acting about suspension of disbelief? If the actor was talented enough, I'm sure anything is perfectly possible.

It maybe hard to swallow but these are people inside, with thoughts, dreams and desires too!

Now you're being argumentative. Frankly Lee I think you're far too foolish to play yourself and I believe you should be played by Karl Pilkington.

It really is no different to blacking up!

Quote: Loopey @ February 8 2013, 12:59 PM GMT

Whether disabled or LD actors are used are not, opinions are going to conflict depending on where you are coming from.

The classic example is Pantomime, the Dame is the funniest most comedically vital role. Hence it always has to be played by a man.

Quote: sootyj @ February 8 2013, 1:04 PM GMT

Now you're being argumentative. Frankly Lee I think you're far too foolish to play yourself and I believe you should be played by Karl Pilkington.

I literally have no idea what this means.

Quote: Lee @ February 8 2013, 1:02 PM GMT

Why couldn't a person with L.D play any role? Isn't acting about suspension of disbelief? If the actor was talented enough, I'm sure anything is perfectly possible.

Yes! Now if only they were given the opportunities.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 8 2013, 1:07 PM GMT

Yes! Now if only they were given the opportunities.

Exactly :)

Opportunities. It's unfortunate though because as any group looking for opportunities, they need to fight for their place. Just as any group has and always will. It's awkward because you can't just get it handed to you, but it's a bit of a riddle because by definition, this particular group tend to rely on support from others.

This

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417791/

is a great comedy drama and example of how portraying disability can be done right.

I've seen it, it's good :)

I'd say the US is rather ahead of the curve.

The Ringer and There's Something About Mary are great examples of people with learning disabilities playing themselves.