British Comedy Guide

Derek - Series 1 Page 3

I do have some admiration for trying to tackle difficult subjects but by not being able to see Ricky and Karl in any other way than their usual characters, it just doesn't really work for me.

I'm not saying Ronnie Barker could've made this show but he had that ability to be totally convincing as different people as a character actor. Performing Fletcher in Porridge and Arkwright in Open All Hours during the same period a case in point.

When they made The Office they were insistent on actors not being well known so it became believable but they obviously don't have that luxury any more.

Derek is undoubtedly a triumph to future comedy. Rather than being about punchlines and catering for the general public's expectations, this comedy gives voice to a very real everyday that most of us experience up close (but try to run away from). It is unflattering, it is not glamorous but it is so unbelievably real, that I just have to laugh.
After watching Derek, I felt truly moved and a little bit more awake. A great thanks to the brains behind this fabulous comedy. X

Quote: suzanna @ February 1 2013, 12:03 PM GMT

Derek is undoubtedly a triumph to future comedy. Rather than being about punchlines and catering for the general public's expectations, this comedy gives voice to a very real everyday that most of us experience up close (but try to run away from). It is unflattering, it is not glamorous but it is so unbelievably real, that I just have to laugh.
After watching Derek, I felt truly moved and a little bit more awake. A great thanks to the brains behind this fabulous comedy. X

Is that you, Ricky? ;)

Rather than being about punchlines and catering for the general public's expectations

Yeah, those Philistines, watching comedies and expecting to see things like jokes.

I love it when people feel so strongly about things they are moved to join an online forum.

I'd agree with the concept that it's more of a drama with funny bits in, than a sitcom or something.

And most of those funny bits were Karl.

Just occurred to me that Ricky is really the only lead actor 'trying' to do different characters in different sitcoms these days. I might be missing something obvious but I can't immediately think of another successful leading Ronnie Barker type currently. You had Nicholas Lyndhurt in the not too distant past but who else is there now?

Rather than being about punchlines and catering for the general public's expectations...

At last, a comedy that isn't all about jokes and making us laugh!

I see from the reviews and Twitter that he as usual doesn't care what people think about it.
I like this brave attitude (a lot don't). He had the same mindset when he was trying to get The Office commissioned so it's not bravado just because he's minted.

I might not care for the man too much. He reminds me of a scene from Extras where the casting of a drama required an actor who looked like a smug c**t with a punchable face. He was having a laugh by describing himself. But... I love all his work and tenacity

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ February 1 2013, 12:57 PM GMT

I see from the reviews and Twitter that he as usual doesn't care what people think about it.
I like this brave attitude (a lot don't). He had the same mindset when he was trying to get The Office commissioned so it's not bravado just because he's minted.

I might not care for the man too much. He reminds me of a scene from Extras where the casting of a drama required an actor who looked like a smug c**t with a punchable face. He was having a laugh by describing himself. But... I love all his work and tenacity

That. I really don't like him...but it takes a guy like him from time to time to clean out the old, dusty and lazy structures and to inspire a younger generation. And yes, some of his own products are really enjoyable.

If people are crying out for a show that's equal parts heart and hilarity, then Parks & Rec has been nailing that blend for the best part of four years. A sitcom can be touching without becoming saccharine or totally sacrificing laughs the way Gervais has here.

Innnteresting...

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/297381382517301248

That character really reminded me of someone. I just can't for the life of me work out who. It was particularly the weird gurning grin he kept pulling.

Quote: Aaron @ February 1 2013, 4:42 PM GMT

That character really reminded me of someone. I just can't for the life of me work out who. It was particularly the weird gurning grin he kept pulling.

Brian Gittins?

Quote: Aaron @ February 1 2013, 4:42 PM GMT

Joe Wilkinson? Maybe crossed with Steve Coogan?