British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,133

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 20 2012, 7:06 PM GMT

Now here's a heavy debate to be getting on with -

3D Printers - the death of modern consumerism?

As this new technology becomes more and more affordable, will it do for the high street what Napster did for the music industry?

Why bother going to Argos or John Lewis when you can download a programme and 'print' out your own designer goods, clothing or furniture?

And how will gun laws be effective when you can print out your own firearms?

>And how will gun laws be effective when you can print out your own firearms?

I wouldn't like to try fire a printed gun, the printed parts are made of plastic.

Teary

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ December 20 2012, 7:52 PM GMT

When they suss how to print chemical compounds from base chemicals/elements, we'll have H2O on tap..

You'd need a supply of pure hydrogen and oxygen, which is always going to be harder to get hold of than water.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 20 2012, 6:47 PM GMT

, I know plenty of girls who fancy some of the world's most outrageously violent men - like Pol Pot or Harold Shipman.

Interesting circles you move in! :O

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ December 20 2012, 8:19 PM GMT

You'd need a supply of pure hydrogen and oxygen, which is always going to be harder to get hold of than water.

Easy, we just split water into its separate components, and then we'll have as much hydrogen and oxygen as we need to make water.

It's like some people can't even be arsed to think.

:P

Quote: billwill @ December 20 2012, 7:37 PM GMT

I wouldn't like to try fire a printed gun, the printed parts are made of plastic.

That was lasy year's technology. You can now print metals, wood and stone with the latest 3D printers. One 'visionary' in Italy even 3d printed an entire house made of sandstone.

Imagine if you needed a set of shelves or a toilet seat or even new decking for the back garden and you could make it yourself to exacting standards in a few hours. This could be the end of manufacturing as we know it. Goodbye China.

How will this affect Bcg? Will I soon her able to downloiasf peepshow into my own squalid home?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 21 2012, 1:16 PM GMT

That was lasy year's technology. You can now print metals, wood and stone with the latest 3D printers. One 'visionary' in Italy even 3d printed an entire house made of sandstone.

Imagine if you needed a set of shelves or a toilet seat or even new decking for the back garden and you could make it yourself to exacting standards in a few hours. This could be the end of manufacturing as we know it. Goodbye China.

The metal printing 3D printers seem to be rather more complicated and highly expensive compared to the printers for plastic.

I suspect that the materials (printing fluids) would always be far more expensive than buying conventionally made things, though behind the scenes the manufacturers might well be using 3D printers to make the products or the moulds to make the products.

Anyway here's a website of pretty things you can print in 3D

http://www.thingiverse.com/
example

Apparently there are people mad enough to produce the templates for a 3D printable gun.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/08/23/wiki-weapon-project-aims-to-create-a-gun-anyone-can-3d-print-at-home/

Net effect might be to get 3D printers banned of course.

Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association (NRA), called on the US Congress to immediately pass legislation to place guards with guns in schools by the time classes resume from winter breaks in January.

He said the proposal was aimed at stopping the next killer "waiting in the wings", claiming that "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

Woaw!

Tards

Just watching that on the news. I despair of these Americans.,How thick/unfeeling can you be?

Printing metal? What? Is everyone on this thread pissed as well?

I was struck by how one killer was barred from school as a potential dangerous threat
But wasnt barred from buying a gun

So too dangerous to learn but not to dangerous to shoot

Also watching the latest on Neon. Good job we have Courts to sort this out.

Did I hear correctly? The mother 'has a tie up with a newspaper.' is she planning to make money from this?

I read that and I thought you were referring to the sofa com,pany

Poor mum there's too many people exploiting desperate parents facing the worst news and the worst choices in the world

Quote: lofthouse @ December 21 2012, 10:03 PM GMT

Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association (NRA), called on the US Congress to immediately pass legislation to place guards with guns in schools by the time classes resume from winter breaks in January.

He said the proposal was aimed at stopping the next killer "waiting in the wings", claiming that "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

Woaw!

Tards

Apparently (I get all my news from Twitter) there was an armed guard at Columbine. And that went well.