British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,127

Bloody BBC pinkos Whistling nnocently

Quote: Tursiops @ December 18 2012, 5:42 PM GMT

So what? It is just shouting into the wind, the yanks aint listening.

That's why I'm getting tired of it on BBC News. No one talks about the 10,000 gun deaths a year in South Africa even though it's population is smaller then the UK's.

Quote: Pingl @ December 18 2012, 5:44 PM GMT

Bloody BBC pinkos Whistling nnocently

They are this time. Jeremy Paxman was getting angry with a pro-gun campaigner on Newsnight because he didn't like his facts. The British line that Americans must somehow be saved from themselves and only their old colonial masters can talk sense is beyond condescension.

On the other hand Americans are a bit, well, not the thing.

Well they do, but the news beast likes disonance. So Arab killing Arab will never be as good as Jews killing Arab. Same goes for poor black kills poor black person. No where near as interesting as rich American kills rich American for no apparent reason.

One thing I do agree with you on, is this is absolutely not about access to guns. Albeit in the last 61 massacres I believe everyone was carried out with legal obtained; high powered, high capacity, rapid fire weapons the envy of many militaries.

And the death toll would have been lower if they were less available or I dunno held less bullets?

Paxo doesn't like anyones facts, the BBC is bound to cover the biggest news stories of the day, despite whatever else may be happening in the world. The Yanks don't care, they are to insular to notice, their news organisations are hardly shining beacons of truth, Fox anyone. I wish people would stop bashing the BEEB I for one am very proud to have them, as is most of the world, except strangely it seems in this country

Quote: sootyj @ December 18 2012, 5:50 PM GMT

And the death toll would have been lower if they were less available or I dunno held less bullets?

Notice the lack of anything from this list?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_number_of_victims

Quote: Pingl @ December 18 2012, 5:54 PM GMT

their news organisations are hardly shining beacons of truth, Fox anyone. I wish people would stop bashing the BEEB I for one am very proud to have them, as is most of the world, except strangely it seems in this country

Yeah, our biased news organisations are much better then their biased news organisations. Rule Britannia, etc.

not sure what you're getting at?

We all know the BBC is the best news broad caster because it tells us often enough.

Can you feel the love for Big Brother yet citizen?

You cannot compare Fox with the BBC it is ridiculous, the BBC is pretty good at being impartial Fox is a mouthpiece for American loonies who would shoot you on sight for being to left wing

No but you could compare the BBC with Al Jazeera or CNN or even Sky and it's not much better.

Fox does what it does it's a propraganda service like Press TV or Russia News.

Quote: sootyj @ December 18 2012, 5:58 PM GMT

not sure what you're getting at?

The world's most prolific serial killers didn't use guns to slaughter hundreds of people.

South Africa has a smaller population then the UK but they rival the US in gun murders per year.

Countries like Canada and Switzerland have vast amounts of privately owned firearms and have nowhere near the amount of atrocities as the US.

Gun laws have very little to do with why insane people went on a murder rampage. We should look at the real cause for why mainly young men in the US flip out and decided to kill innocents.

Quote: Pingl @ December 18 2012, 6:00 PM GMT

You cannot compare Fox with the BBC it is ridiculous

Quote: Pingl @ December 18 2012, 5:54 PM GMT

their news organisations are hardly shining beacons of truth, Fox anyone.

But you are allowed to slate all American news organisations based on one channel?

Hmmm.

Quote: sootyj @ December 18 2012, 6:01 PM GMT

No but you could compare the BBC with Al Jazeera or CNN or even Sky and it's not much better.

Fox does what it does it's a propraganda service like Press TV or Russia News.

CNN maybe, the other two never. The BBC runs an unbeatable news service on many platforms that is highly regarded by the rest of the world, if not here. I always go the BBC first, as do many and there is a good reason for that, its a good honest news service with no hidden agenda, although you lot seem to think it has, what that is I would like to be enlightened?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 18 2012, 5:58 PM GMT

Notice the lack of anything from this list?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_number_of_victims

That these are serial killers rather than killing sprees, and therefore of no relevance to this argument?

Everyone knows a lone nutter, if clever and industrious enough, can build up an impressive body count over time, but this is about the ability to take out dozens of victims in minutes. Automatic weapons take all the skill out of mass murder.

That's exactly what I said thanks for agreeing with me!

Ok firstly Canada, Australia etc legalise firearms but not hi capacity semi autos. I guess that just makes the massacres less awful.

US issues seem to be as follows.

1 everyone is entitled to own a firearm unless it can be proven they shouldn't, reverse of the rest of the rich world.
2 US mental health services are far less accessable than in a similar wealthy country.
3 Those mental health services that are available are a lot scarier than in the rest of the rich world.
4 There is a commercial pressure (check out the prepper and militia movements) for irresponsible and frankly irrational gun ownership.
5 The litigous nature of schools etc combined with the inevitability of gun ownership makes borderline dangerous kids more likely to be excluded or singled out.

It's quite a toxic mixture. It's worth noting; Switzerland, Sweden, Israel etc have access to far more powerful firepower for citizens and lower domestic murder rates than the UK never mind the US. So gun ownership isn't everything its a big piece of the puzzle.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 18 2012, 6:06 PM GMT

But you are allowed to slate all American news organisations based on one channel?

Hmmm.

I didn't say that, but to be fair none of them are as good as the BBC and most of the world would agree as they listen to the BBC on many platforms. But if you hate them so much you are welcome to Fox, CNN, NBC whatever you like, I'll stick with the BBC

Quote: Pingl @ December 18 2012, 6:08 PM GMT

CNN maybe, the other two never. The BBC runs an unbeatable news service on many platforms that is highly regarded by the rest of the world, if not here. I always go the BBC first, as do many and there is a good reason for that, its a good honest news service with no hidden agenda, although you lot seem to think it has, what that is I would like to be enlightened?

It's terribly anti-Israel bordering on the antisemitic, not to mention it's hopelessly politically correct innability to hold other less well integrated minority communities to account. Basically if you're a poor failure with bad english, or a wealthy white person expect fair treatment.

The BBC is easily the most powerful weapon for politically correct propaganda the world has ever seen.

And Al Jazeera is impressively fair and ballanced. In the face of far more actual physical danger than the BBC. It's also less antisemitic.