British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,115

Quote: lofthouse @ December 14 2012, 8:38 PM GMT

The united states was created with the bullet

And the f**kers won't ever give it up

No American president would ever have the guts or decency to do f**k all about it

Fingers crossed Obama might have the sense to.

Quote: zooo @ December 14 2012, 9:06 PM GMT

Fingers crossed Obama might have the guts to.

Well, he's in his second term, so I suppose he's not having to rely on getting voted in again. He could TRY and do anything. Tighter gun controls. Lobby to blow up the Moon. Plus crazy stuff.

The NRA are so powerful they have trouble working out what to do they've now do they've so totally won

Obama needs to kick the NRA's arses.

Quote: sootyj @ December 14 2012, 9:10 PM GMT

The NRA are so powerful they have trouble working out what to do they've now do they've so totally won

How about a mass suicide pact?

It's this idea of guns as a civil right that's so mad

And right now NRA spin doctors are working out how this has nothing to do with giving as probably disturbed man access to military grade fire power

Quote: zooo @ December 14 2012, 9:12 PM GMT

Obama needs to kick the NRA's arses.

They could wipe him out if they felt inclined

And what is it 30 000000 guns how would you ever collect them

In the tweeted words of comedian Eugene Mirman:

"Let's not all attack the @NRA. Let's work together with them to create bulletproof children."

Just arm all children with guns and they'd be fine.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ December 14 2012, 9:26 PM GMT

Just arm all children with guns and they'd be fine.

I'm pretty sure that's what the NRA said after the last university shooting - if the students had been armed it would have been fine. :S

I just wonder if there is a point at which the majority of Americans would say that the right to own guns just isn't worth it. What would have to happen?

Yep, and if just the teacher had had a gun, the gunman would have just shot him first before he could react.

Well the NRA argument is that having guns means they can overthrow the government if they get too big for their boots. Because obviously if the government can do what they want, they aren't answerable to their citizens. Makes sense to an extent, but I'm not sure that having handguns would really give the citizens a chance against soldiers with full auto rifles, Apache helicopters, artillery etc. Maybe having more than two political parties would help more.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/16/americas-deadly-devotion-guns

probably one of the best and most depressing articles on the NRA

and conversley US gun laws prejudice against the mentally ill, as everyone with a personality disorder is a potential lone gunman.

I think we just have to accept that the USA will never ban guns. They're all about FREEDOM! Although, to be fair, if, as SootyJ says, there are 30,000,000 guns in the hands of the public, how many of these are actually used to kill people?

Quote: Ben @ December 14 2012, 9:58 PM GMT

Although, to be fair, if, as SootyJ says, there are 30,000,000 guns in the hands of the public, how many of these are actually used to kill people?

Well obviously most people, if they have a gun or not, will of course not go on kill crazy gun sprees. But those who will indulge in a spree will obviously find it easier if they have ready access.

Well, you know, they'd probably just get a knife if guns weren't available. Or maybe make a home made gun out of string, polystyrene and old medals.

Quote: Ben @ December 14 2012, 10:15 PM GMT

Well, you know, they'd probably just get a knife if guns weren't available.

Harder to spree with a knife. The spreer really has to go all out to get the numbers.