British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,113

I think that's fair to a point, RC, but there's also value in studying something just to learn. To increase your knowledge and improve the way you think is important in itself. But I think a lot of people in the past have done degrees neither to improve job prospects nor increase their brainpower, but as a way of putting off the real world. I do think that should be discouraged. But most people don't live the lives they expected to or follow the career paths they envisioned when they were 18, so a lot of people studying just to learn discover new interests that lead to new opportunities.

I'm worried that dedicated people who have a real interest in studying are being put off because they are thinking pragmatically about the usefulness of the degree, while the people who would sleep through their lectures are the ones still applying because they don't really care about the future debt.

Quote: Tursiops @ December 13 2012, 12:40 PM GMT

There should be some central co-ordination to ensure that the number of places on occupational degrees reflects anticipated demand, but what do about non-occupational degrees, where frankly there is no demand? Do I consider three years studying medieval history at a provincial university wasted? Pretty much if I am honest. I was too young and twatish to take full advantage of the opportunities for personal development provided by full-time education; and even if I had studied properly the career opportunities related to my degree were vanishingly small (and almost entirely taken by Oxbridge graduates), while a 2.2 did nothing much to help me in the real world (in my organisation there are contemporaries without degrees who long ago outstripped me on the career ladder, and good luck to them.) I am only thankful that I did not have to pay for any of it. (Being a peasant I qualified for a full grant and it was long before the days of tuition fees.)

We should maintain our academic institutions as centres of excellence, but they should be for the brightest and best (and by that I do no necessarily mean those whose parents could afford to send them to public school exam factories.) Where educational spending should be concentrated is at the criminally underfunded primary level, to ensure that we bring all our children up to a certain level, and on further education, to provide learning opportunities through life for those with a genuine interest in pursuing them.

I agree. It's shocking how under-educated some of the children leaving school are. I remember watching a programme where they gave A-C grade GCSE students a 50s style education for a week, and most of them couldn't identify the UK on a world map.

Mediaeval history is fab! And without that degree how else would you bore people watching historical epics by commenting on anachronisms and the inefficient use of siege engines? Just me?

Quote: Tursiops @ December 13 2012, 12:40 PM GMT

We should maintain our academic institutions as centres of excellence, but they should be for the brightest and best (and by that I do no necessarily mean those whose parents could afford to send them to public school exam factories.) Where educational spending should be concentrated is at the criminally underfunded primary level, to ensure that we bring all our children up to a certain level, and on further education, to provide learning opportunities through life for those with a genuine interest in pursuing them.

What a genuinely refreshing and agreeable sentiment, I concur wholeheartedly.

Further education is a difficult subject to talk about, as there are vehement supporters of academia for academia's sake and to suggest any change to the system is akin to vandalism by the most lowly of ignorant philistines. Most of these proponents have a vested financial interest in the education gravy train, so indoubtedly champion the cause of scholarly pursuits. (Ker-ching!)

Quote: Harridan @ December 13 2012, 12:51 PM GMT

I'm worried that dedicated people who have a real interest in studying are being put off because they are thinking pragmatically about the usefulness of the degree, while the people who would sleep through their lectures are the ones still applying because they don't really care about the future debt.

I agree with your points as well, but sometimes pragmatism has to win through. It's great that people want to learn for the sake of learning, but if they never use what they learn to any great effect, is it not just vanity?

I'm in two minds. On the one hand, do we really need more lawyers, accountants and chartered surveyors or is it fair to subsidise students who's degrees are practically useless in a modern day working environment?

If your plumber told you he had a degree in French Literature, what difference would it make? All you're really concerned about is that he can fix your plumbing.

Mediaeval history is fab! And without that degree how else would you bore people watching historical epics by commenting on anachronisms and the inefficient use of siege engines? Just me?

I am a vey bad person to invite to a 'medieval banquet'.

I think that's fair to a point, RC, but there's also value in studying something just to learn. To increase your knowledge and improve the way you think is important in itself. But I think a lot of people in the past have done degrees neither to improve job prospects nor increase their brainpower, but as a way of putting off the real world. I do think that should be discouraged. But most people don't live the lives they expected to or follow the career paths they envisioned when they were 18, so a lot of people studying just to learn discover new interests that lead to new opportunities.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote: Tursiops @ December 13 2012, 12:59 PM GMT

I am a vey bad person to invite to a 'medieval banquet'.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 13 2012, 12:59 PM GMT

I agree with your points as well, but sometimes pragmatism has to win through. It's great that people want to learn for the sake of learning, but if they never use what they learn to any great effect, is it not just vanity?

I'm in two minds. On the one hand, do we really need more lawyers, accountants and chartered surveyors or is it fair to subsidise students who's degrees are practically useless in a modern day working environment?

If your plumber told you he had a degree in French Literature, what difference would it make? All you're really concerned about is that he can fix your plumbing.

The difference it would make would be that we might have an interesting conversation about French literature. There's more to life than the job you do. Otherwise, why read books? Why watch documentaries? Why have museums and galleries?

Ahem, RC doesn't. ;)

Quote: Harridan @ December 13 2012, 1:04 PM GMT

There's more to life than the job you do. Otherwise, why read books? Why watch documentaries? Why have museums and galleries?

All of those things can be classed as leisure pursuits and if the education system was overhauled with need put ahead of fancy, then I think we'd see a massive drop in tuition fees.

Yes, it would be a shame that Feminist Black Literature or Video Game History would bite the dust, but really, they are subjects which can be studied without the need for a formal and expensive course.

Perhaps if subjects that needed to be studied because of a shortfall in the workplace were subsidised and the students given extra financial help, then we'd have a healthier and more prosperous society.

Or in plainer English - make the posh Art students pay extra money so we can have some decent scientists and engineers.

Quote: zooo @ December 13 2012, 1:05 PM GMT

Ahem, RC doesn't. ;)

R.C. has read (and forgotten) more books then he cares to mention. I can't invest three days of my life in a crap book anymore. Plus I don't commute.

Its also worth remembering students cost less and make better statistics than job seekers

Its also worth remembering students cost less and make better statistics than job seekers

I think that's fair to a point, RC,

:O

but

Phew!

Quote: Lee @ December 13 2012, 2:00 PM GMT

:O

Phew!

We agree sometimes!

Quote: Harridan @ December 13 2012, 2:48 PM GMT

We agree sometimes!

Like when you agree to disagree? ;)

I see the Ukrainian government had a massive brawl in their parliament today. Vitalky Klitschko - also a politician as well as professional bruiser - was present, but kept out of it all like a big girl.

He's a puff

And I'd tell him that to his big girly face

Quote: lofthouse @ December 13 2012, 8:31 PM GMT

He's a puff

And I'd tell him that to his big girly face

I'd tell him and his brother before stripping to my urine stained y-fronts and saying "Who wants a wrestle?".

HAHAAA!

only urine??

You wish

I'd take the big fanny. Cos I'm well ard