British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,109

Different followers of the same God have different opinions about whether that God approves.

They should just ask him, really.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 9:28 PM GMT

The point is they can get married in any number of churches, from a number of different denominations and have their gay love blessed by God.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the nuptials in a place of worship where the God approved of their relationships?

What am I missing here?

My point is it is legislation for its own sake, every church but the C of E can opt in, but why enshrine in law the ban on the C of E just leave it as it stands. A waste of time and energy

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 9:31 PM GMT

My point is it is legislation for its own sake, every church but the C of E can opt in, but why enshrine in law the ban on the C of E just leave it as it stands. A waste of time and energy

You do realise that not everyone is 'super keen' on gay marriage, particularly staunch members of the Conservative Party who vote on such matters. I would imagine the C of E exemption was put in there to appease the more traditional members.

They've still passed a law that says gay people can get married in any church that will allow it. That's still a pretty big deal. Trying going to Saudi Arabia or Jamaica and suggesting it if you think otherwise.

Couldn't they make it compulsory in every church, but if the vicar isn't up for it they don't have to be involved and they get another one in.

Of course, the gay cooties would then have got inside their church...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 9:38 PM GMT

You do realise that not everyone is 'super keen' on gay marriage, particularly staunch members of the Conservative Party who vote on such matters. I would imagine the C of E exemption was put in there to appease the more traditional members.

They've still passed a law that says gay people can get married in any church that will allow it. That's a still a pretty big deal. Trying going to Saudi Arabia or Jamaica and suggesting it if you think otherwise.

It is pointless to legislate on something if that legislation will come to nothing, only the church of the great zog will allow these marriages. To enshrine something in law that will not happen is a waste of time. It's like bringing back hanging but only if the convicted prisoner agrees, crap analogy but there you go. It's just another toothless bill with no power, either make gay marriage a right or forget it.

Quote: zooo @ December 11 2012, 9:31 PM GMT

They should just ask him, really.

Didn't he write it down in a big book or summit?

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 9:42 PM GMT

only the church of the great zog will allow these marriages.

Quakers, Unitarians and Liberal Judaists might disagree with your 'zog' analogy. I shall let them know that you think their religions are worthless.

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 9:42 PM GMT

either make gay marriage a right or forget it.

Is marriage - gay or straight - a right? Hmmm, something to ponder.

Quote: zooo @ December 11 2012, 9:41 PM GMT

Of course, the gay cooties would then have got inside their church...

HIV is on the rise again, back up to nearly 100,000 in the UK.

It should be a right to marry someone and make a vow to the God you believe in.

I don't beleive in any organised religion, so they're all Zog to me

If we had taken into account the views of Tory backbenchers and the other loonies being gay would still be illegal.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 9:48 PM GMT

Didn't he write it down in a big book or summit?

Quakers, Unitarians and Liberal Judaists might disagree with your 'zog' analogy. I shall let them know that you think their religions are worthless.

Is marriage - gay or straight - a right? Hmmm, something to ponder.

Gay people or straight people? A bit pat to think of that as a gay problem alone?

I think what makes it odd is that the law is that no religious body will be forced to perform same-sex marriages, but the CofE and CofW are explicitly banned from performing same-sex marriages because they don't want to. Why make it illegal for them to do it when the law allows them to choose not to and that's what they chose?

Quote: Harridan @ December 11 2012, 9:53 PM GMT

I think what makes it odd is that the law is that no religious body will be forced to perform same-sex marriages, but the CofE and CofW are explicitly banned from performing same-sex marriages because they don't want to. Why make it illegal for them to do it when the law allows them to choose not to and that's what they chose?

Thankyou just what I was saying, but not as well

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 9:48 PM GMT

Still rarer in gay women than the general population, though. Despite a lack of sensible 'safe sex' practices for lesbians! latex gloves and dental dams? ha!

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 9:50 PM GMT

It should be a right to marry someone and make a vow to the God you believe in.

Gay people or straight people? A bit pat to think of that as a gay problem alone?

It is a religious ceremony that has been enshrined by law. It is not a human right.

The HIV increase is down to gay and bisexual men not getting tested and spreading the disease and our old favourites - the foreigns!

Quote: Harridan @ December 11 2012, 9:53 PM GMT

Why make it illegal for them to do it when the law allows them to choose not to and that's what they chose?

As mentioned previously, it might have been a condition imposed by the more traditional members of Parliament, a sort of bribe to ensure that the legislation goes through smoothly.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 9:56 PM GMT

It is a religious ceremony that has been enshrined by law. It is not a human right.

Actually, for the majority of history it has not been a religious institution. Even in mediaeval Christian societies most people got married by deciding that they were married and then informed the church because the church kept the records.

Quote: Harridan @ December 11 2012, 9:55 PM GMT

Still rarer in gay women than the general population, though.

That's why I only sleep with lesbians.

Though not anymore. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246046/Cup-invented-tells-drinker-date-rape-drugs-slipped-beverage.html

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 9:56 PM GMT

The HIV increase is down to gay and bisexual men not getting tested and spreading the disease and our old favourites - the foreigns!

Why not, it is now enshrined in law that you can't in certain churches, is that the right of Government to stop a gay Christian declaring their love in front of their God.

Foreigns and Gays what can I say, I'm sure many colonised countries feel the same about us when we introduced venereal and other diseases that decimated them in the past.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 9:59 PM GMT

That's why I only sleep with lesbians.

Though not anymore. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246046/Cup-invented-tells-drinker-date-rape-drugs-slipped-beverage.html

That's a shitty joke even for you.