British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,106

Who cares what colour is in the majority, being white doesn't make you British, one of the highest immigrant groups is Polish. I don't really see why a coloured majority is a problem, that group contains a lot of ethnicities, all of which enrich a country that has always relied on immigration.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 3:54 PM GMT

Again, using the London model, it won't work. When inner city boroughs became 'overran' with new immigrants, the white working class populations moved en masse to Essex, Kent, Enfield, etc.

Within a few years, the growing number of new immigrants then spread to these areas. So Somerset will also eventually succumb to this wave of population movement.

Somerset did not fall to the English until around two hundred years after the first immigrant Anglo-Saxons pitched up in the south-east, so you should be good there for a while yet. Cornwall held out a couple of hundred years after that, Cumbria was only absorbed by the Normans, and Wales still hangs onto a cultural identity, of sorts. We will just keep moving west until we displace the Taffs.

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 4:01 PM GMT

Who cares what colour is in the majority, being white doesn't make you British, one of the highest immigrant groups is Polish. I don't really see why a coloured majority is a problem, that group contains a lot of ethnicities, all of which enrich a country that has always relied on immigration.

It is not the skin colour I am concerned about, it is the sheer numbers along with cultural and religious practices that are contradictory to the 'British' way of life.

Sharia law, honour killings, female circumscions, voodoo child killings, sex gangs, human trafficking, book burnings, attacks on homosexuals, rape, gun violence, drug dealing, riots, terrorism - a whole slew of Daily Mail headlines that can be attributed (but not exclusively) to our multi-cultural society.

More headline grabbing stuff: 2 out 3 new jobs created are given to non-UK born workers, 77% of children born in Newham are from non-UK mothers, there will be no school places for 100,000 children by 2015.

If only I had some sort of official facts and figures to back up my argument. Oh wait, I do.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 4:14 PM GMT

It is not the skin colour I am concerned about, it is the sheer numbers along with cultural and religious practices that are contradictory to the 'British' way of life.

Sharia law, honour killings, female circumscions, voodoo child killings, sex gangs, human trafficking, book burnings, attacks on homosexuals, rape, gun violence, drug dealing, riots, terrorism - a whole slew of Daily Mail headlines that can be attributed (but not exclusively) to our multi-cultural society.

More headline grabbing stuff: 2 out 3 new jobs created are given to non-UK born workers, 77% of children born in Newham are from non-UK mothers, there will be no school places for 100,000 children by 2015.

If only I had some sort of official facts and figures to back up my argument. Oh wait, I do.

We have more than enough rapists, murderers and religious bigots, the conservative party anyone, of our own, who needs these foreign types adding to it? Have you ever considered the other side of the coin, how people from different cultures enrich our society. Oh I forgot they're taking our jobs and raping our women. Are you including the Poles, white but still culturally different in this. Even the mention of the Mail makes me shiver, it is very easy to blame the ills of society on those who don;t meet your personal critea. But many of them pay tax that goes towards schools and hospitals, most of them want to bring their kids up and get on with their lives in peace. Frankly with the state this country is in, I admire for them for trying to make a life here, it must be hard, especially dealing with prejudice.

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 4:21 PM GMT

it is very easy to blame the ills of society on those who don;t meet your personal critea.

It is an incredibly easy thing to do, but get this liberal types. If we don't talk about it and discuss ways to limit the amount of immigration into the UK, then everything you fear - the BNP, mob rule, race wars, mindless violence, etc. - will happen.

Your inactivity and reluctance to face the truth, even when presented with official stastics, will result in confrontation rather then harmony. It's already happening across Europe, with far right parties gaining momentum and popular support, it could easily happen here also.

But maybe you're better off ignoring what is happening and doing a Gordon Brown and just labelling everyone with a different view as a bigot.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 4:28 PM GMT

It is an incredibly easy thing to do, but get this liberal types. If we don't talk about it and discuss ways to limit the amount of immigration into the UK, then everything you fear - the BNP, mob rule, race wars, mindless violence, etc. - will happen.

Your inactivity and reluctance to face the truth, even when presented with official stastics, will result in confrontation rather then harmony. It's already happening across Europe, with far right parties gaining momentum and popular support, it could easily happen here also.

But maybe you're better off ignoring what is happening and doing a Gordon Brown and just labelling everyone with a different view as a bigot.

We are talking about it. I don't agree with you;)

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 4:33 PM GMT

We are talking about it. I don't agree with you;)

Then try not to act so shocked when the BNP suddenly start picking up Parliamentary seats, even though you only have yourself to blame. ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 4:42 PM GMT

Then try not to act so shocked when the BNP suddenly start picking up Parliamentary seats, even though you only have yourself to blame. ;)

I'm never shocked by the BNP, its the downside of democracy, but its the system we have, and I don't like the look of the alternatives

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 4:28 PM GMT

You are Enoch Powell reincarnated and I claim my £5.

Quote: keewik @ December 11 2012, 5:10 PM GMT

You are Enoch Powell reincarnated and I claim my £5.

Enoch Powell was freaking out that 50,000 immigrants a year from the Commonwealth were coming to Britain.

That's right, only 50,000 and only from other British Commonwealth countries. Not Somalia, Poland or Europe and not in the literal millions that we see now.

But the bloody Heath Conservative Government, just like the bloody Blair Labour Government, deliberately chose to ignore the warnings and now we have a severe job and housing shortage in the UK as a result.

Nice one politicians!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 5:21 PM GMT

Enoch Powell was freaking out that 50,000 immigrants a year from the Commonwealth were coming to Britain.

That's right, only 50,000 and only from other British Commonwealth countries. Not Somalia, Poland or Europe and not in the literal millions that we see now.

But the bloody Heath Conservative Government, just like the bloody Blair Labour Government, deliberately chose to ignore the warnings and now we have a severe job and housing shortage in the UK as a result.

Nice one politicians!

The job problem is a world economic one, housing is not the fault of immigrants but of years of not building affordable homes to replace the council housing that was sold in the Thatcher era and after. Powell was a fascinating man, in many ways a clever and insightful one, but he used race for political gain, and that was unforgivable. Heath took a principled and fair judgement on the Ugandan Asians that I have always admired. Blair was lightwight in comparison to either of them

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 5:26 PM GMT

The job problem is a world economic one, housing is not the fault of immigrants but of years of not building affordable homes to replace the council housing that was sold in the Thatcher era and after.

So if 7.5 million new people never came to Britain in the last few years, we'd still have a job and housing shortage? There would still be the same stress on the NHS? There would be no shortfall in school places?

I cannot speak for the rest of the country, but London is full to overflowing. Immigration has created a housing rental crisis and pushed prices to incredible levels, public transport is fit to bursting, even in non-rush hour times, economic growth in the Capital is way behind the rest of the UK, there are on average 22 applications for every job advertised and there is also the aforementioned change in ethnic make up - something unseen in over a thousand years of British history.

Again, I am no mathematical expert, but 7.5 million extra people or over 10% of the previously existing population creates all sorts of logistical problems.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 5:34 PM GMT

So if 7.5 million new people never came to Britain in the last few years, we'd still have a job and housing shortage? There would still be the same stress on the NHS? There would be no shortfall in school places?

I cannot speak for the rest of the country, but London is full to overflowing. Immigration has created a housing rental crisis and pushed prices to incredible levels, public transport is fit to bursting, even in non-rush hour times, economic growth in the Capital is way behind the rest of the UK, there are on average 22 applications for every job advertised and there is also the aforementioned change in ethnic make up - something unseen in over a thousand years of British history.

Again, I am no mathematical expert, but 7.5 million extra people or over 10% of the previously existing population creates all sorts of logistical problems.

These are problems heightened by the world economic depression, one that is worse than the thirties, remember what happened there? No one was complaining about the tax revenue we gained from these immigrants in the good years. This is not an immigration problem, it is an economic failure of capitalism, the very system that encouraged many of these people to come here. We are not an overpopulated country, the child birth rate is falling not rising, without a workforce we have no future. In the good times many people wouldn't touch the kind of work most immigrants do.

It is a bit of an immigration problem.
*is strenuously resisting the temptation to become embroiled in another faux-foaming-at-the-mouth Renegade argument, but come on...*

Quote: Pingl @ December 11 2012, 5:40 PM GMT

In the good times many people wouldn't touch the kind of work most immigrants do.

Quoting what happened in the past with regards to immigration is a bit of a misleading argument. The amounts of people travelling to live and work in the UK is at a level never seen before in our history.

As for the jobs that others wouldn't touch, the employers have been allowed to keep wages artificially low thanks to the willingness of immigrants to take any job. A good case in point is Tube drivers and dustmen. These jobs are highly prized due to their excellent wages, even though they are not the most desireable forms of employment.

Blaming capitalism and then championing it seems a very duplicitous argument in favour of mass immigration.