British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,105

I though black-face Moorish went back to Spain and the Moorish empire.
In which case it's actually ant-muslim....
Looks like we've leapt to the defence of the wrong bunch.

Quote: sootyj @ December 11 2012, 2:41 PM GMT

Hang on isn't the black face of Morris Dancing an ancient joke mocking the slaves being transported through ports such as Bristol? Where they would be forced out on deck to dance so as not to be completely unhealthy and useless at their final destination.
So basically you're defending one set of racist paradgims, because it was inspired by a diferent set of racial paradigms?

Slaves weren't transported through British ports. On British ships, yes, making profit for British traders, yes, but not through British ports.

Quote: Rob H @ December 11 2012, 2:56 PM GMT

Slaves weren't transported through British ports. On British ships, yes, making profit for British traders, yes, but not through British ports.

Don't get Moorish slaves mixed up with African slaves. Europe had been fighting the Moors since at least the 8th century. So it's very possible that dark skinned prisoners may have been transported through English ports.

Quote: sootyj @ December 11 2012, 2:41 PM GMT

Hang on isn't the black face of Morris Dancing an ancient joke mocking the slaves being transported through ports such as Bristol? Where they would be forced out on deck to dance so as not to be completely unhealthy and useless at their final destination.

Er, no. Origins of the English black face tradition are obscure at best, though possibly connected to Spanish traditions arising out of the reconquesta. But golliwogs are American in origin and the American blackface tradition parodied/celebrated/denigrated (delete according to political prejudice) the happy-go-lucky negro, but ultimately became established as a cultural phenomena in its own right, to an extent at least, divorced from its origins.

I thought they famously were in Bristol?
Maybe it's just the other connections you mention.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 11 2012, 3:05 PM GMT

Don't get Moorish slaves mixed up with African slaves. Europe had been fighting the Moors since at least the 8th century. So it's very possible that dark skinned prisoners may have been transported through English ports.

It's easy to diferentiate prisoners from Spain were much more jovial, hence the expression.

"The Moores the merrier"

Another bloody tax-dodge.
That's it - from now on I'm boycotting slavery.

You're right of course. But as you say, it's only a possibility that slaves would have been transported through British ports. I wouldn't agree with the 'very'. in the 17th century it would have been more likely for the Moors - in the logismic guise of the Berbers - to have been taking Britons as slaves than the other way round.

You liberals and your re-writing of history...

As an aside, it's astonishing to think there are more people living as slaves today than has been the case at any point in history. The human race does throw up some astonishingly depressing statistics at times.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 11 2012, 3:10 PM GMT

Another bloody tax-dodge.
That's it - from now on I'm boycotting slavery.

Won't this involve a change of profession? :D

Possible, but it does not make much sense economically, as in England itself there has never been much of a slave-owning tradition; though Moorish raiders did take more than a million European slaves, including those taken in raids on English and Irish ports. If a North African child owned a cabbage doll, would that I wonder be racially offensive, because of the history of white slavery?

Ah yes the nightmarish reign of the Berbers who would sneak in at the last minute.

The "Just in" Berbers.

They had a terrible war cry.

Quote: sootyj @ December 11 2012, 3:17 PM GMT

The "Just in" Berbers.

>_<

Anyways, back to the 2011 Census - based on the amount of immigrants coming to the UK in recent years and their propensity to breed rapidly, I'm wondering how long it will be before we become like America and the white population becomes the minority?

And isn't this ultimately self defeating for both the honkeys and the foreigns? They come to white Christian countries like the USA and the UK because of the freedoms, financial opportunities, religious tolerance, uncorrupt governments, fair legal processes, etc.

But if they arrive in huge numbers wanting to impose new religions, new laws, cultural practices that are contrary to our own, etc., won't that destroy the very thing that brought them here for in the first place?

Additionally, how will we cope with all of these extra people - unemployment, sky high rents, packed public transport, long hospitial waiting lists and lack of school places are all concerns here and now. What's it going to be like in 20 years?

The census also said that the UK is 80% white. Calm yourself. Rolling eyes

(Or move to Somerset. Where it's 99.9 recurring...)

I always thought Somerset was white with a big red face from drinking cider on a tractor and shouting all day,

Quote: zooo @ December 11 2012, 3:43 PM GMT

The census also said that the UK is 80% white. Calm yourself. Rolling eyes

Down from 87% just a few years ago. Only another 31% to go and whitey is a minority.

In London, they're already in the minority, so calming oneself might be an option, but not a good one.

The problem with taking a liberal, wait and see, it's a cultural melting pot of love rainbows attitude to immigration, is that a lot of the people coming here don't share your ideals.

Besides, we are a tiny island with limited resources, you don't have to be a genius maths boffin to realise the impact on the NHS, school places, etc.

Quote: zooo @ December 11 2012, 3:43 PM GMT

(Or move to Somerset. Where it's 99.9 recurring...)

Again, using the London model, it won't work. When inner city boroughs became 'overran' with new immigrants, the white working class populations moved en masse to Essex, Kent, Enfield, etc.

Within a few years, the growing number of new immigrants then spread to these areas. So Somerset will also eventually succumb to this wave of population movement.

Quote: sootyj @ December 11 2012, 3:48 PM GMT

I always thought Somerset was white with a big red face from drinking cider on a tractor and shouting all day,

:D