British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,103

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:42 PM GMT

But worry not liberalists, you can always re-write history to suit your current agendas.

Rewriting history is a liberal trait? Hmmm..

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:49 PM GMT

The really funny thing is that people are complaining about Patrick Moore being a sexist throw back, yet when you tune into any science programme on the BBC, especially those about astronomy, it's still a boys club.

Women scientests are so rubbish, they'd rather get a fat male Irish comedian to talk about space then some chick with a proper degree and a job and everything.

Maybe you ladies should be directing your fury elsewhere. (Even if you think Brian Cox is sooooo dreamy or whatever).

That's weird, isn't it. Especially with all the females and gays running the show!

Anyway, bored now. (Also, I was joking about Plato)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:49 PM GMT

The really funny thing is that people are complaining about Patrick Moore being a sexist throw back, yet when you tune into any science programme on the BBC, especially those about astronomy, it's still a boys club.

Women scientists are so rubbish, they'd rather get a fat male Irish comedian to talk about space then some chick with a proper degree and a job and everything.

I assume you're talking about the Dara O'Briain show, which has had predominantly female expert guests every time I've watched it. ;)

Quote: Harridan @ December 10 2012, 2:51 PM GMT

(Also, I was joking about Plato)

And I was making a statement about how there should be more (preferably hot) female scientists on television.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:53 PM GMT

And I was making a statement about how there should be more (preferably hot) female scientists on television.

Did we touch a sacred Chinese vase at the same time on Friday?

TV science dudes should look at Johnny Ball and learn something. He's well old and still manages to be totally awesome. :)

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2012, 2:53 PM GMT

which has had predominantly female expert guests every time I've watched it. ;)

Yeah, but they're guests, they don't get to run the show. Even the women and gayers know to put a bloke in charge when it comes to 'brainy stuff'. ;)

Quote: Harridan @ December 10 2012, 2:54 PM GMT

Did we touch a sacred Chinese vase at the same time on Friday?

Racist. :P

Quote: Lee @ December 10 2012, 2:49 PM GMT

Rewriting history is a liberal trait? Hmmm..

Have you tried to purchase a golliwog recently?

EDIT: have now made the correct spelling for the highly offensive childrens toy.

Buying a golliwog is as easy as walking into any charity shop on the planet. Plus it'd only be 10p. You could cover your house in 'em!

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2012, 3:03 PM GMT

You could cover your house in 'em!

Laughing out loud

It's one way of getting your house in the local paper.

Quote: Harridan @ December 10 2012, 2:37 PM GMT

That's an entirely reasonable approach, but that doesn't mean you have to accept everybody's views as a-ok. Particularly if those views denigrate or demean other people.

I didn't say they were OK.
I suggested he might be forgiven them.
Chalk & cheese.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:37 PM GMT

Patrick Moore was 89 years old when he died. If you meet any 89 year old and ask their opinions on homosexuals, immigrants, the current state of BBC television, etc., most will reflect his views and opinions including the 'only good Kraut is a dead Kraut'.

That is a rather prejudiced point of view.

Buying a golliwog is as easy as walking into any charity shop on the planet. Plus it'd only be 10p. You could cover your house in 'em!

I've noticed that, its weird isn't it. Why anyone would want one given its history and connotations is beyond me. Some people buy them just to be bloody minded, all the twaddle about its a toy and harmless fun, PC gone mad. No its a horrible and offensive toy and we need to move on and grow up. The name alone should be a clue as to why it is offensive.

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2012, 2:53 PM GMT

I assume you're talking about the Dara O'Briain show, which has had predominantly female expert guests every time I've watched it. ;)

Plus I suspect they chose him to front it instead of a scientist because it's more important to have someone who is good at presenting, than someone who is good at science.

Where do you live, zooo? I've never seen a golliwog in a charity shop! And a few years back I did some volunteer sorting for Oxfam and never found a golliwog in a sack either.

She lives out west. Things are still different out that way.