British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,102

If you're looking for liberal opinions the BCG "I read the news..." thread is probably not the best place to start.

Quote: Badge @ December 10 2012, 2:00 PM GMT

If you're looking for liberal opinions the BCG "I read the news..." thread is probably not the best place to start.

That's a very illiberal sentiment.

There are older people who don't have intolerant views. So age shouldn't really be a blanket get-out-of-jail-free card.

I guess liberal-ness takes different forms.
Mine consists of trying to understand why other people might have views that differ from those that I hold..

Bloody young people, old people, just people I'd have em all strung up!

Now that I do understand.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 10 2012, 1:56 PM GMT

Yes , but people are a product of their times.

Patrick Moore was 89 years old when he died. If you meet any 89 year old and ask their opinions on homosexuals, immigrants, the current state of BBC television, etc., most will reflect his views and opinions including the 'only good Kraut is a dead Kraut'.

It would come as a shock if Brian Cox came out with similar statements now, not because he is some enlightened liberal who loves all of the peoples of the Earth, but because we live in much more PR savvy times.

I suppose Moore thought he had a right to air his views, what with fighting the Nazis and inventing space and being a national icon who inspired millions and shit.

One thing about this which doesn't ring true though, is if he was such a bigotted, right wing, loony cakes, why would vegan, animal loving, notoriously fluffy haired, lefty bollox Brian May hang out with the dude?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to reading the feminist interpretations of Plato and whether he was sexist or not. Because that is what really matters.

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2012, 2:05 PM GMT

There are older people who don't have intolerant views.

There's like three of them...and they're foreigns no doubt.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 10 2012, 2:33 PM GMT

Mine consists of trying to understand why other people might have views that differ from those that I hold..

That's an entirely reasonable approach, but that doesn't mean you have to accept everybody's views as a-ok. Particularly if those views denigrate or demean other people.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 10 2012, 2:33 PM GMT

I am well aware of the sneaky, contradictory, propagandist and chameleon-like nature of you pinko scum. ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:37 PM GMT

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to reading the feminist interpretations of Plato and whether he was sexist or not. Because that is what really matters.

He was. Saved you some time. ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:37 PM GMT

It's all Greek to me.

**Subject Change**

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20646721

So, Lord Lucan, eh?

Quote: Harridan @ December 10 2012, 2:39 PM GMT

He was. Saved you some time. ;)

As long as he wasn't a product of his time (428-438 BC). But worry not liberalists, you can always re-write history to suit your current agendas. :P

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 10 2012, 2:42 PM GMT

As long as he wasn't a product of his time (428-38 BC). But worry not liberalists, you can always re-write history to suit your current agendas. :P

Thanks for the date, there. I totally thought he was writing in the 70s! Whistling nnocently

Quote: Harridan @ December 10 2012, 2:43 PM GMT

I totally thought he was writing in the 70s! Whistling nnocently

The really funny thing is that people are complaining about Patrick Moore being a sexist throw back, yet when you tune into any science programme on the BBC, especially those about astronomy, it's still a boys club.

Women scientists are so rubbish, they'd rather get a fat male Irish comedian to talk about space then some chick with a proper degree and a job and everything.

Maybe you ladies should be directing your fury elsewhere. (Even if you think Brian Cox is sooooo dreamy or whatever).