British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,101

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2012, 1:00 PM GMT

With reference to Patrick Moore, his views on women or foreigners aren't really relevant since he was chiefly respected for astronomy and space and stuff. It's a bit Orwellian to start keeping a log of peoples opinions on everything and anything so that we can judge whether they're worthwhile people or not.

I know - it's very dull of people.
For example, the concept of my grandfather being present when his wife gave birth was as alien then as me not being there is today.
People who can't imagine a time when things were different simply lack imagination.

There's a massive difernece between saying to your closest chum that you think ladies smell and shouldn't be on the telly.

But when you use a public organ to do it. Then by association you are asking them to approve of your views. And that is a whole other bucket of monkeys.

As it is, Patrick Moore simply proves the old Prince Phillip/Boris Johnson law. That when one sufficently posh and amusing you can say whatever you damned well like.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 10 2012, 1:08 PM GMT

People who can't imagine a time when things were different simply lack imagination.

You gotta move with the times, baby.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 10 2012, 1:08 PM GMT

I know - it's very dull of people.
For example, the concept of my grandfather being present when his wife gave birth was as alien then as me not being there is today.

What, 2007? I wasn't talking about something said in the 50s.

Those bloody dull people who don't look back on slavery with affection! *shakes fist*

Yes I am exaggerating for effect. But for goodness sake. :)

If Patrick had a right to have his views on women, then Harridan and I have the right to our views on Patrick! You can't have it both ways.

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2012, 1:04 PM GMT

To be fair, it's also probably a tad Orwellian to suggest people shouldn't have or express their own opinions about people.

Not really, zooo. I just think it a tad odd that anybody should care what a man predominantly known for astronomy thought about anything other than astrononomy. And it's not like he rounded off every episode of The Sky At Night with a lecture on how women should stay at home making pies and foreigners are all dirty.

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2012, 1:14 PM GMT

Not really, zooo. I just think it a tad odd that anybody should care what a man predominantly known for astronomy thought about anything other than astrononomy. And it's not like he rounded off every episode of The Sky At Night with a lecture on how women should stay at home making pies and foreigners are all dirty.

If you honestly only have views on people directly associated with their main occupation, then bully for you! Bit unusual though.
Are we allowed to like him for his being good at xylophone playing (which I did) or is that not allowed because it's not astronomy based?

I wonder if this same respect for the recently departed is conferred on everyone? I have a feeling that if it was someone who didn't have 'national treasure' status their views and actions outside of their main profession would be fair game.

One things for sure, it's definitely worth getting shirty over.

Patrick Moore was never my cup of tea, but I deleted an uncharitable post after reading that he served in Bomber Command, which deserves respect whatever your views on area bombing, and that his bachelor status was, perhaps ironically, due to the death of his fiancé during the blitz.

Which explains why for Patrick the war was never really over: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137652/Patrick-Moore-says-hates-Germans-70-years-Nazi-bomb-killed-fianc-e.html

Yes, the whole fiancée story is very sad.

Tragic and clearly affected his whole psyche massively.

He wasn't just a cheery old eccentric. He lead, or campaigned for at least two virulently racist parties in his time. He seems to have good reason to do this.

But well he still did it.

Quote: Harridan @ December 10 2012, 1:10 PM GMT

What, 2007? I wasn't talking about something said in the 50s.

Yes , but people are a product of their times.
I just think we should be a little more tolerant.
Our liberal opinions exist because we live in a more liberal society - not because we are better people.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 10 2012, 1:56 PM GMT

Yes , but people are a product of their times.
I just think we should be a little more tolerant.
Our liberal opinions exist because we live in a more liberal society - not because we are better people.

We should be a little more tolerant of other people's intolerance? We're getting into ridiculous territory here.

Liberals are better people