British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,098

Quote: AJGO @ December 9 2012, 10:38 PM GMT

Agree with the latter part of that, but not feeling sorry for the DJs. If you think it's totes hilare to try to get private information about a person in hospital, especially when it's someone with pregnancy-related issues who isn't yet past the first trimester then you're just a prick as far as I'm concerned. And I'm anti-monarchy!

I am really very sad to hear of the death of Patrick Moore. RIP and thanks and well done dude

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20656914

I totally agree that the DJs were pricks to think the call would be funny, but I read that they are getting death threats etc. which isn't really fair.

Unfortunately, my good impressions of Patrick Moore were ruined when he recently went on a big sexist rant. Bleh.

Quote: AJGO @ December 9 2012, 10:38 PM GMT

Way to put down the many people who are doing that job, or who have done that job (i.e. me).

I don't think sootyj was attacking you personally. It's an important job, but there are other important jobs too and put into context, I would imagine that most nurses would like to look after preggo Royals instead of handling the diseased genitalia of the general public.

Quote: Harridan @ December 9 2012, 10:51 PM GMT

Unfortunately, my good impressions of Patrick Moore were ruined when he recently went on a big sexist rant. Bleh.

He really was on the way out. If you watched any of the more recent Sky At Nights, he looked fit to drop and just sort of sat in the background letting out the odd word like 'Saturn' in a kind of elderly tourettes type of way.

So though sad, not terribly unexpected.

Quote: Harridan @ December 9 2012, 10:51 PM GMT

Don't worry, people in 2080 will mock you just as much for not being of their time.

Quote: Frantically @ December 9 2012, 7:57 PM GMT

I'm finding it hard to have much sympathy for the Aussie DJs. If they end up feeling genuinely wretched for ending a woman's life then yes I would, cos they're not responsible for the death. But they don't sound like sensitive types.

I think perhaps it is more the station they work for. As mentioned in a previous post, one particular dj who works there is known for been nasty, he always gets his job back.Some of things he's said are intentionally so.
There are some reports in the news here this morning suggesting that in the past djs have voiced concern by things they have been asked to do, but told to do it.

Quote: Ben @ December 9 2012, 7:31 PM GMT

I'm in the 'surprised it led her to commit suicide' camp. Who knows what else was going on in her life. I imagine her superiors gave her an ABSOLUTE bollocking over what happened and maybe that pushed her over the edge.

Not to mention the comments by the media that reported on the orginal prank, some that I heard seemed to be along the lines of "how could you be so silly to fall for it?"

Quote: Frantically @ December 9 2012, 7:57 PM GMT

I'm finding it hard to have much sympathy for the Aussie DJs.

Having lived in Australia and New Zealand....three words.

Life on Mars.

Such has been the over the top reaction by the British press, that Australians have been forced to defend their hilariously wacky, nurse murdering, smiley faced, disc jockeys.

Quote: Jinky @ December 9 2012, 11:09 PM GMT

Don't worry, people in 2080 will mock you just as much for not being of their time.

Yes, because we must forgive people for being insular, UKIP-supporting, sexist homophobes if they also happen to be old. Rolling eyes

His woman rant put me right off too. But he did have a nice cat who he made sure was with him when he died, so that wins him a couple of points back.

Quote: Harridan @ December 9 2012, 11:24 PM GMT

Yes, because we must forgive people for being insular, UKIP-supporting, sexist homophobes if they also happen to be old. Rolling eyes

Terms change with time.

Google Malcolm X and watch him say 'Negro' a million times.

Judged by today's standards, Malcolm X is racist. That's a surprise.

Sir Patrick Moore was a decent guy, despite what the thought police might say.

Quote: zooo @ December 9 2012, 11:27 PM GMT

His woman rant put me right off too. But he did have a nice cat who he made sure was with him when he died, so that wins him a couple of points back.

He called his cat Ptolemy which is kinda cool

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 9 2012, 11:18 PM GMT

Such has been the over the top reaction by the British press, that Australians have been forced to defend their hilariously wacky, nurse murdering, smiley faced, disc jockeys.

My point was that I think the management culture needs to be reviewed. Also it was pre recorded, so presumably other people have listened and thought it was ok. That seems to make it a bit unfair that the two who made the call are getting all the blame. Yes they made the call, but I doubt the deision to air would have been theirs.

I think it was a stupid thing to do but I also don't think anyone could have guessed that it would have this outcome.

Quote: Jinky @ December 9 2012, 11:28 PM GMT

Terms change with time.

Completely different issue.

Quote: Jinky @ December 9 2012, 11:28 PM GMT

Terms change with time.

That would be relevant if all Patrick had done was refer to women as birds.

Anyway, he's only just popped his clogs, so I shan't slag him off today.

Quote: sootyj @ December 9 2012, 11:30 PM GMT

He called his cat Ptolemy which is kinda cool

Yes, I like a cat with an odd name.

Again, if you think Sir Patrick Moore is the enemy, then you're fighting the wrong battles.

(And moaning about someone 12 hours dead. Classy)

Who's saying he's the enemy!?
Just that he had some silly views.