British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,097

Quote: chipolata @ December 9 2012, 5:36 PM GMT

Are you completely oblivious to how the media works?

Yes, completely, but lucky for me there are kind souls like yourself ready to teach me.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 9 2012, 5:38 PM GMT

Yes, completely, but lucky for me there are kind souls like yourself ready to teach me.

Cool

I do feel a little sorry for the DJs who pulled the prank - they couldn't have had any idea it would end up like this. There must have been more going on in the woman's life for this to have pushed her over the edge.

If she's had the same kind of training in the public sector on talking to the media

Then she was probably utterly terrified

Having a family and never being able to work again

Talking to the press even accidentally is something the NHS will bla list you for

Quote: sootyj @ December 9 2012, 7:01 PM GMT

If she's had the same kind of training in the public sector on talking to the media

Then she was probably utterly terrified

Having a family and never being able to work again

There was probably a better way to help them than killing herself, though. I imagine there was more to her mental condition than this lone trigger.

Could be a 'semi suicide' too many Valium with wine happens all the time

I'm in the 'surprised it led her to commit suicide' camp. Who knows what else was going on in her life. I imagine her superiors gave her an ABSOLUTE bollocking over what happened and maybe that pushed her over the edge.

Oh for all their sorry's and tragic speeches I bet her bosses bollocked her big time, poor woman. It was a pointless prank though, not exactly cutting edge. But there I'm sure was more to this than simply the prank. But sadly people kill themselves over the strangest of things, we all have our own breaking point. As I said if she had no Royal connection she would just be another suicide we hear nothing about. Life can be very sad indeed.

One cannot help wonder how her bosses 'supported' her.

I'm finding it hard to have much sympathy for the Aussie DJs. If they end up feeling genuinely wretched for ending a woman's life then yes I would, cos they're not responsible for the death. But they don't sound like sensitive types.

I agree there must have been personal issues going on with Jacintha but I reckon* she got a very very serious bollocking from management and wouldn't be surprised if that at least contributed to her reaction.

*Yeah, I know "reckoning" something's wank in a situation like this. Sorry.

I think she didn't get a bollocking at all.

I think she got invited to therapy/retraining/redeployment and a 1001 ways of saying you're f**ked and your career of 20 years is in the shitter. But if you're lucky you might get a job swabbing genitals in the clap clinic. And we're terribly sorry it's not your fault. But the meeting you're going to, you might want to bring your union rep with you...

Quote: Harridan @ December 9 2012, 6:56 PM GMT

I do feel a little sorry for the DJs who pulled the prank - they couldn't have had any idea it would end up like this. There must have been more going on in the woman's life for this to have pushed her over the edge.

Agree with the latter part of that, but not feeling sorry for the DJs. If you think it's totes hilare to try to get private information about a person in hospital, especially when it's someone with pregnancy-related issues who isn't yet past the first trimester then you're just a prick as far as I'm concerned. And I'm anti-monarchy!

Quote: sootyj @ December 9 2012, 8:26 PM GMT

But if you're lucky you might get a job swabbing genitals in the clap clinic.

Way to put down the many people who are doing that job, or who have done that job (i.e. me). Nice to know that testing and supporting people who may have HIV, testing and talking with teenagers who think they may be pregnant or have got someone pregnant, and generally dealing with the population's intimate issues in a compassionate and effective way is the lowest position one can be in.

I am really very sad to hear of the death of Patrick Moore. RIP and thanks and well done dude

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20656914

Quote: AJGO @ December 9 2012, 10:38 PM GMT

Way to put down the many people who are doing that job, or who have done that job (i.e. me). Nice to know that testing and supporting people who may have HIV, testing and talking with teenagers who think they may be pregnant or have got someone pregnant, and generally dealing with the population's intimate issues in a compassionate and effective way is the lowest position one can be in.

I'd love to work in a GUM clinic. Or a dermatology department. Something with curious looking diseases anyway.

It's really really sad that she took her own life. The nurse she handed over the call to though was the one who gave out the information so the breach was hers also. I imagine Jacintha was reluctant when on the spot to question who she thought to be the queen, and she was only manning the phone in the absence of the receptionist, who may have been a bit more savvy to odd / prank calls. Altogether a tragic chain of events.

Ahhhh poor old Patrick

What an absolute gentleman

God bless you sir