British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,076

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:13 PM GMT

I'm always having an argument with the techno-phones over this. Unless you can programme a machine to feel desire - a highly emotional, esoteric and philosophical concept - then machines alone will not destroy civilisation.

Well the aim of most systems is a certain degree of self awareness so I suppose the fear is that this is ultimately an organic process that can't be stopped.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:13 PM GMT

I'm always having an argument with the techno-phones over this. Unless you can programme a machine to feel desire - a highly emotional, esoteric and philosophical concept - then machines alone will not destroy civilisation.

Well the aim of most systems is a certain degree of self awareness so I suppose the fear is that this is ultimately an organic process that can't be stopped.

Some mad bastard will eventually build a robot army. Mind you might not be a bad idea then we could send them off to war and everyone could have a nice cup of tea whilst watching it on CNN :)

Quote: sootyj @ November 26 2012, 11:23 PM GMT

Just because it is self aware, i.e. it realises that it's just a bunch of computer chips soldered together by humans in a box, doesn't mean it wants to destroy the world.

The big question would be 'Why do you want to obliterate mankind and destroy civilisation?'

Quote: Pingl @ November 26 2012, 11:34 PM GMT

Some mad bastard will eventually build a robot army.

We're already on the way there. Here is my favourite so far -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ

I think what makes it daft is the fact that we are really, really far off having robots that can perform a variety of basic tasks and understand instructions that haven't been pre-programmed. There are scary looking robots that are good at physical tasks, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMlkonimvQ but replicating thought processes that can interact with a non-computer environment is just not a possibility yet.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:37 PM GMT

Just because it is self aware, i.e. it realises that it's just a bunch of computer chips soldered together by humans in a box, doesn't mean it wants to destroy the world.

The big question would be 'Why do you want to obliterate mankind and destroy civilisation?'

We're already on the way there. Here is my favourite so far -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ

It looks and sounds like a bloody giant fly! get some spray. I couldn't help but feel sorry for it when it was being kicked and was struggling on the ice, am I going mad!

Quote: Pingl @ November 26 2012, 11:41 PM GMT

I couldn't help but feel sorry for it when it was being kicked and was struggling on the ice, am I going mad!

Not at all, it is very anthropomorphised. However, if it was covered in missiles and machine guns, you maybe wouldn't feel so affectionate towards it.

With human analogues, such as androids, I don't think we'd respond well to them. As they have no 'soul', it would be like having creepy dead people walking around.

Because RCP evolution is a fuvker when cro mag non got in the way homo sspiens ate them no species can tolerate a rival

I'll remind you of this when the droids come for our bone marrow

Quote: Harridan @ November 26 2012, 11:41 PM GMT

There are scary looking robots that are good at physical tasks, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMlkonimvQ but replicating thought processes that can interact with a non-computer environment is just not a possibility yet.

Hey, we both linked to Boston Dynamics videos. I didn't find the first one scary, it looked like a little monkey. Lovey

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:46 PM GMT

Not at all, it is very anthropomorphised. However, if it was covered in missiles and machine guns, you maybe wouldn't feel so affectionate towards it.

With human analogues, such as androids, I don't think we'd respond well to them. As they have no 'soul', it would be like having creepy dead people walking around.

Yup I think I would probably get well and truly freaked out if they were wondering about the streets. :(

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:47 PM GMT

Hey, we both linked to Boston Dynamics videos. I didn't find the first one scary, it looked like a little monkey. Lovey

I originally put up the same vid as you. Great minds think alike. Quick, say something sexist, I feel all funny!

Quote: sootyj @ November 26 2012, 11:47 PM GMT

Because RCP evolution is a fuvker when cro mag non got in the way homo sspiens ate them no species can tolerate a rival

Except that evolution is to do with natural selection. No matter how intelligent computers get, I can still kickbox the f**k out of them in a heartbeat.

All the robots would have to do is read our science fiction literature and they'd realise straight away - don't mess with humans.

Quote: Harridan @ November 26 2012, 11:50 PM GMT

Quick, say something sexist, I feel all funny!

Okay...um, if they ever built realistic looking fem-bots, would we die out as a species? What would be the point of getting married and putting up with all that hassle and a partner that grows old quickly and talks way too much and bosses you about?

'Not in the mood tonight darling? The Menu settings say otherwise.'

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:53 PM GMT

Except that evolution is to do with natural selection. No matter how intelligent computers get, I can still kickbox the f**k out of them in a heartbeat.

All the robots would have to do is read our science fiction literature and they'd realise straight away - don't mess with humans.

Okay...um, if they ever built realistic looking fem-bots, would we die out as a species? What would be the point of getting married and putting up with all that hassle and a partner that grows old quickly and talks way too much and bosses you about?

Don't forget the very handy off button :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:53 PM GMT

Laughing out loud Oh dear. I should go to bed.

the next generation of self aware drones could kick make you their bitch RCP

Heck a euronjics bargain toaster could own your ass

Quote: sootyj @ November 26 2012, 11:57 PM GMT

the next generation of self aware drones could kick make you their bitch RCP

Nope, because they are machines and if it's one thing I know about machines, it's how to break them. Even when I don't want to break them.