British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,075

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20501091

Cambridge researchers are to assess whether technology could end up destroying human civilisation.

I'm not sure if I find this interesting or ridiculous.

Hypocrites no one ever questions if literature could destroy civilisation

Quote: sootyj @ November 26 2012, 11:08 PM GMT

Hypocrites no one ever questions if literature could destroy civilisation

some might say it already has.

Then we are already too late bring on the terminators

Quote: Harridan @ November 26 2012, 11:06 PM GMT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20501091

Cambridge researchers are to assess whether technology could end up destroying human civilisation.

I'm not sure if I find this interesting or ridiculous.

I'm always having an argument with the techno-phones over this. Unless you can programme a machine to feel desire - a highly emotional, esoteric and philosophical concept - then machines alone will not destroy civilisation.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:13 PM GMT

I'm always having an argument with the techno-phones over this. Unless you can programme a machine to feel desire - a highly emotional, esoteric and philosophical concept - then machines alone will not destroy civilisation.

We are just projecting our own emotions onto robots. Robots taking over the world, why would they? More likely evolution would cause us to shrivel away because all the bloody robots were doing everything :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:13 PM GMT

Ah, but the sci-fi films always go with "My programming requires that I protect humanity. I have deemed humanity's greatest threat to be the US government. Therefore I must destroy Washington"

And what about millions of iPads being taught to be self absorbed twats

Quote: sootyj @ November 26 2012, 11:17 PM GMT

And what about millions of iPads being taught to be self absorbed twats

Is that a sanitary-towel joke?

Quote: AJGO @ November 26 2012, 11:18 PM GMT

It is now

Quote: Harridan @ November 26 2012, 11:15 PM GMT

Ah, but the sci-fi films always go with "My programming requires that I protect humanity. I have deemed humanity's greatest threat to be the US government. Therefore I must destroy Washington"

That's just bad programming created by humans. For a true artificial intelligence and not just some chess playing sideshow attraction, it will have to have the full gamut of human emotions as well as being self aware, capable of reason, a code of ethics, etc., otherwise it's just an iPhone with a gun,

No it was incisive social satire

Quote: Harridan @ November 26 2012, 11:18 PM GMT

It is now

I can't believe you made a sanitary-towel joke :P

Quote: AJGO @ November 26 2012, 11:20 PM GMT

I can't believe you made a sanitary-towel joke :P

Laughing out loud

Quote: AJGO @ November 26 2012, 11:18 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

'When you said you had Angry Birds on your iPad...'