British Comedy Guide

Jimmy Savile Page 38

Quote: Aaron @ October 17 2012, 4:29 PM BST

You've not been to the US, have you? ;)

Hehe.
Well it's closeish to England too then.
Closer than NZ is anyway, which may as well be on the moon!

Quote: zooo @ October 17 2012, 4:56 PM BST

Hehe.
Well it's closeish to England too then.
Closer than NZ is anyway, which may as well be on the moon!

Ah yes the moon, tempting, but so little atmosphere

Quote: zooo @ October 17 2012, 1:29 PM BST

I would LOVE to live somewhere freezing!

How can someone like cold weather?

Ha. I am baffled by people liking hot weather. I find it abhorrent.

I do like having seasons, so I wouldn't really want to live somewhere where it was totally freezing all year round. But I definitely prefer cold weather to warm.

Quote: zooo @ October 17 2012, 6:16 PM BST

But I definitely prefer cold weather to warm.

I've found a weather sister :)

I don't even like seasons. Only one is great, one is ok...and the other two are depressing for me. I could do with hot weather the whole year.

I love winter and autumn. Spring is quite fun. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE summer.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ October 17 2012, 6:20 PM BST

I've found a weather sister :)

*high five*

Back to Savile, I'd have expected one or two people to say how grateful they were that he had raised so much money. Presumably more people benefited from his charity, than were abused by him.

Quote: Nogget @ October 17 2012, 6:26 PM BST

Back to Savile, I'd have expected one or two people to say how grateful they were that he had raised so much money. Presumably more people benefited from his charity, than were abused by him.

I was surprised how many people defended Roman Polanski: "Nevermind, he's a great artist...and that little thing happened many years ago".

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 17 2012, 6:33 PM BST

I was surprised how many people defended Roman Polanski: "Nevermind, he's a great artist...and that little thing happened many years ago".

And Elvis Presley.. and Jerry Lee Lewis.. and Chuck Berry.. the list goes on and on.

EDIT: And lest we forget, another cognoscento of the "innocent sleepover" - Michael Jackson.

I was always of the view that charity did far more for Jimmy Saville than Jimmy Saville ever did for charity. It was his charitable work which kept Saville in the public eye, winning him his lucrative broadcasting contracts and keeping him immune from criticism. No one before or since has milked the 'charidee' card so cynically or aggressively.

Quote: Nogget @ October 17 2012, 6:26 PM BST

Back to Savile, I'd have expected one or two people to say how grateful they were that he had raised so much money.

Nope. A bunch of disgruntled groupies have had their day and Jimmy is toast.

Next move. Close Stoke Mandeville down (although most of it is a general hospital with a very famous spinal injuries wing stuck on the side, as I found out when my mother spent a few nights there and everyone I told thought she would never walk again even though she was just in for 'women's troubles') and melt all the wheelchairs down for scrap.

Burn them....BURN THEM

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 17 2012, 6:33 PM BST

Well, that's an interesting point. We expect very talented people to produce things that we could never do and at the same time conform to whatever set of rules are current at the time.

It could be argued that, at the extreme edges of creativity, we can't expect such people to behave like the rest of us.

This doesn't apply to Jimmy Saville, obviously. Unless going 'Now then, now then' and claiming to invent the disco is a sign of genius.

Quote: Jinky @ October 17 2012, 6:44 PM BST

This doesn't apply to Jimmy Saville, obviously. Unless going 'Now then, now then' and claiming to invent the disco is a sign of genius.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Tursiops @ October 17 2012, 6:37 PM BST

I was always of the view that charity did far more for Jimmy Saville than Jimmy Saville ever did for charity. It was his charitable work which kept Saville in the public eye, winning him his lucrative broadcasting contracts and keeping him immune from criticism. No one before or since has milked the 'charidee' card so cynically or aggressively.

Yeah he almost invented the exploitation of it didn't he. I heard his former PA on the radio the other day saying he was 'very very clever, manipulative and bossy' but said she knew nothing of his dallyings and didn't think he was like that.

I can belive that because the picture that's coming out now is of an almost master criminal who fooled so many people. Many have said he was untalented but I think being that clever and cunning is a real talent, not a pleasant one to have, no, but he always struck me as being very bright.

I see fantastic film potential in 'The Jimmy Savile Story'. There is bound to be a movie made on this as soon the inquiries' verdicts are given.

Quote: zooo @ October 17 2012, 1:24 PM BST

If I had to live in another country, I might choose Canada. They seem nice!

Was watching King Of The Hill not long ago and they did an episode satirsing Canadians. 'Bland, preachy, sanctimonious, think they own 'the Environment', that kind of thing. It did seem to ring a bell. Canada is known as the capital of PC. Angry Booo! Such a shame cos it looks so lovely in photos.