British Comedy Guide

Why does anyone need religion?

I've gone 66 years without it, quite happily.

So why does anyone need it?

And why do some people feel so strongly about it ?

I really don't understand.

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 16 2012, 12:47 AM BST

I've gone 66 years without it...

I really don't understand.

Why not give it ago?

Follow Ricky Gervais on Twitter.

If that doesn't make you anti-atheist, then nothing will.

There are hundreds of books and articles which will give you sound answers for this question. Religion has a battered reputation today but I still think it can be a force for good, whether I think there's any truth in any of them or not, which I don't really. But I do think at its moderate best it is a source of comfort and well being and general good for many. The problems come when it assumes a superior role and over rides our secularity. As long as it's kept in its place now I think it's fine.

Quote: Jinky @ October 16 2012, 1:40 AM BST

Ha!

We need to believe that there is more to life than this!

This thead could lead to pundomonium e.g.
Religion is a mass attraction for Catholics.
He brews tea religiously.

Religion is for people who find "I don't know" a little too unnerving.

No they don't, but whatever gets you through the night, and as long as you don't enforce your views on others or do anyone any harm in religions name, you can believe in the great pink moose of planet X as far as I'm concerned.

Quote: Jinky @ October 16 2012, 1:40 AM BST

Thank God (or whatever deity you may or may not follow) someone else said that!

Atheists piss me off way more than religious types. Atheists get so worked up about something that shouldn't and doesn't affect them in the slightest. I find it bordering on persecution personally...

*Agressive atheists I should say. The Gervais's, the Dawkins's...

And they are more smug about it that the religious-types.

Quote: Mr Carnegie @ October 16 2012, 11:42 AM BST

Thank God (or whatever deity you may or may not follow) someone else said that!

Atheists piss me off way more than religious types. Atheists get so worked up about something that shouldn't and doesn't affect them in the slightest. I find it bordering on persecution personally...

*Agressive atheists I should say. The Gervais's, the Dawkins's...

And they are more smug about it that the religious-types.

Couldn't agree more. The people who seem to get the angriest are the athiests, they get very stroppy and expect religious types to say, Oh yea I never thought of it that way, your right, I have been living a lie all these years. The most fundamentalist and least open minded do tend to be the rabid athiest.

Quote: Pingl @ October 16 2012, 11:57 AM BST

Couldn't agree more. The people who seem to get the angriest are the athiests, they get very stroppy and expect religious types to say, Oh yea I never thought of it that way, your right, I have been living a lie all these years. The most fundamentalist and least open minded do tend to be the rabid athiest.

I know, right? It's like getting angry that there are men out there who fancy other men. Who cares about what other people believe/are in to??

They need to stop trying to change people and keep their piggy noses in their own affairs...

I also find it a terribly boring subject for stand-up.

Well that's the dichotomy isn't it.

Neither side can be swayed by rational or irrational arguements.

As for Gervais being aggresive (I presume you mean on Twitter)
I only see that he is answering questions or statements that are tweeted to him.

Yeah, but the Athesists make out they are fighting some injustice. Like religion is oppressing our lives, when it doesn't. When was the last time you were forced to pray, to go to church or believe in God? Maybe in some other countries it can oppressive, but here? In a predominantly atheist country?

And Ricky Gervais goes on about it ALLLLLLL the time.

"Speaking an atheist..." Oh really? do you not believe in God? I had no idea Ricky...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ October 16 2012, 12:10 PM BST

As for Gervais being aggresive (I presume you mean on Twitter)
I only see that he is answering questions or statements that are tweeted to him.

That.

Gervais replies are pretty tame compared to some of the "Christians" that tweet him thinks like "I hope you die of an AIDS infected tumour because you're going to hell" is why many people are opposed to religion.

Quote: Mr Carnegie @ October 16 2012, 12:19 PM BST

Yeah, but the Athesists make out they are fighting some injustice. Like religion is oppressing our lives, when it doesn't. When was the last time you were forced to pray, to go to church or believe in God? Maybe in some other countries it can oppressive, but here? In a predominantly atheist country?

Just because it isn't physical acts of repression, doesn't mean it still isn't there.