British Comedy Guide

Jimmy Savile Page 33

It's the complacency, the nodding and winking that leads to so much harm.

Sometimes you hav to speak out against what seems to be the normal.

Which is why I find Kipper's 'everybody was doing it in the 60s' totally unacceptable, not to mention shite! But I'll say no more or I'll say too much.

I really hope Freddie Starr is proven innocent, he is a great comic and I would lose so much respect for him if all this was true!

Freddie Starr ate my beaver

Quote: sootyj @ October 13 2012, 8:03 PM BST

I can hear Marge Simpsons words

"Hey Homer there's the pet shop with that parrot you like to argue with."

Laughing out loud

I heard the papers are about to out Morph as a playdophile.

(not mine)

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I gotta stay out of this topic

I've just had to stop myself posting something twice in the space of minutes as I realised how f**ked up it was

Think I'll go and read the Lego thread instead

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 13 2012, 11:13 PM BST

(not mine)

Kev, I still occasionally laugh at you LOL story. No offence is it were true. Errr

Quote: lofthouse @ October 13 2012, 11:20 PM BST

I gotta stay out of this topic

I've just had to stop myself posting something twice in the space of minutes as I realised how f**ked up it was

Think I'll go and read the Lego thread instead

Lego isn't that what most girls under 16 said to him?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 8:05 PM BST

The reason I never picked up on those points is that I agree with you. Where I massively disagree with you is in having a BBC Inquiry, run by the BBC featuring 'witnesses' with a vested interest in protecting the BBC.

Police Inquiry or GTFO.

As I pointed out, the BBC's inquiry into the "culture" surrounding Savile is only taking place AFTER the police investigation. It's not one or the other. It's both. The police will identify criminal activity amongst the living.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 13 2012, 11:13 PM BST

(not mine)

Not his fault he was turned by Tony hart who was polymorphosly perverse

Quote: Aaron @ October 13 2012, 11:24 PM BST

As I pointed out, the BBC's inquiry into the "culture" surrounding Savile is only taking place AFTER the police investigation. It's not one or the other. It's both. The police will identify criminal activity amongst the living.

Sooty nail banged on the head award of the day

Quote: keewik @ October 13 2012, 10:40 PM BST

Which is why I find Kipper's 'everybody was doing it in the 60s' totally unacceptable, not to mention shite! But I'll say no more or I'll say too much.

Well there's a slight distinction here in two arguments that can be made:

"Everybody was doing it in the 60s" because it just wasn't a big deal; attitudes were more relaxed, sexual permissiveness was all the rage, there was just a far more casual approach to sex and sexuality.

"Everybody was doing it in the 60s" because they could, because people turned a blind eye despite knowing it was wrong.

Kipper's saying, I think - and hope - the former of the two. And to some extent he's probably right. We can't apply modern morality to crimes of the frankly quite distant past.

Having said that, the "everybody was doing it" argument is far more applicable to the groupies et al who have been mentioned rather than Savile, a grubby old man who was abusing and manipulating his position in order to abuse.

It's basically the difference between rape, and statutory rape.

You win two sootyj nail on the head awards in a row

Quote: Aaron @ October 13 2012, 11:34 PM BST

Well there's a slight distinction here in two arguments that can be made:

"Everybody was doing it in the 60s" because it just wasn't a big deal; attitudes were more relaxed, sexual permissiveness was all the rage, there was just a far more casual approach to sex and sexuality.

"Everybody was doing it in the 60s" because they could, because people turned a blind eye despite knowing it was wrong.

Kipper's saying, I think - and hope - the former of the two. And to some extent he's probably right. We can't apply modern morality to crimes of the frankly quite distant past.

Having said that, the "everybody was doing it" argument is far more applicable to the groupies et al who have been mentioned rather than Savile, a grubby old man who was abusing and manipulating his position in order to abuse.

It's basically the difference between rape, and statutory rape.

Actually everybody wasn't doing it. Didn't Clive James have something to say about that?

The 60's was my time - teens to 20's. My father, like all the fathers I knew, would have hung any man up by the balls (after first skewering the balls with red hot needles) who did to me what Saville did to those girls - I'm talking underage here. Yes, there were groupies, but the underage business is quite a different scenario. These were very likely young girls who didn't have anybody watching out for them properly. Believe me, we were aware of pervs in the 60's (and probably any decade that century) just as much as now. And it was never acceptable. Nothing can excuse it or him.