British Comedy Guide

Jimmy Savile Page 29

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 3:03 PM BST

Perhaps they could stop making EastEnders and Strictly? (fingeys crossed!)

Well if that's the case - yes let's 'out' more pervs!

Maybe incentivise the public, for example if we, the public, can bring down a perv or any other miscreants, then we are rewarded by the TV company involved to vote some programmes off the schedules. We would be able to vote, X Factor style (the f**kers won't miss a trick to cash in), for which TV shows should be axed.

Unfortunately, I've just realised my idea is shite - simply because the great unwashed love the programmes that are shite...thus, effectively ring-fencing them.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 3:14 PM BST

I
The idea that the same culture is still active within the BBC is laughable, much like racism and sexism. The Beeb is one of the most puritanically PC middle class playgrounds you could imagine.

Quite. Also it seems that Saville enjoyed an impunity that went well beyond the BBC.

Where heads should roll is for the decision not to run the Newsnight investigation and instead to run the hagiographic Saville retrospectives.

Quote: Aaron @ October 13 2012, 2:48 PM BST

When has an inquiry ever been held BEFORE moral press and public outrage?

They should've acted on the well known rumours to stop it getting to the damaging inquiry stage. That's what I meant. Their complacency is staggering in not even looking into rumours about things which happened under their roof FFS! They just fobbed it all off like the late deejay did.

If they'd taken the strong rumours seriously and discreetly blackballed all Saville repeats ten years ago when they did the same to Glitter then their own reputation would be safe. But no, they block a Newsnight revelation prog on him and show a worryingly sychophantic Saville tribute prog instead. !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Auntie! >_<

But the BBC is where it all originated, his respectability, his influence.

And as the Sun snidely put it.

"If Esther Rantzen was so upset why didnt she call child line?"

Quote: Tursiops @ October 13 2012, 3:35 PM BST

Quite. Also it seems that Saville enjoyed an impunity that went well beyond the BBC.

Where heads should roll is for the decision not to run the Newsnight investigation and instead to run the hagiographic Saville retrospectives.

That's the killer one for them, from only a year ago too! The old boy's culture stuff in the other inquiry they could probably put up a good reasonable excuse for, but not the blatant dumber than dumb executive level blocking. Some are done for in that one, probably including the the DG.

Its worth remembering he carried out his wickedness in an era of sex offenders registers, safe guarding and proper multi disciplinary teams to carry out investigations and that sometimes these things exist for a reason.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 3:14 PM BST

The idea that the same culture is still active within the BBC is laughable, much like racism and sexism. The Beeb is one of the most puritanically PC middle class playgrounds you could imagine.

Like the Church?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 13 2012, 3:48 PM BST

But no, they block a Newsnight revelation prog on him and show a worryingly sychophantic Saville tribute prog instead. !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Auntie! >_<

Nice use of misdirected rage there Alfie, love the use of multiple exclaimation marks. It was definitely Newsnight's fault that Jimmy Savile molested brain damaged girls in hospital. Sack Paxo at once!

Quote: sootyj @ October 13 2012, 3:49 PM BST

But the BBC is where it all originated, his respectability, his influence.

Yes, it was the culture of the BBC to take innocent DJs and turn them into paedos, it was part of their charter in the 70s I believe. If it hadn't been for all that fame, Jimmy Savile would have lived a quiet life molesting girls unnoticed.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ October 13 2012, 4:08 PM BST

Like the Church?

Nope, the Church was an all boys homo club. It differs from the BBC in that...oh wait.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 4:21 PM BST

Nice use of misdirected rage there Alfie,

Nothing the current BBC management could do about what happened in the past, but they could have been honest about it, and they weren't, and that is where they are culpable.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 4:21 PM BST

Yes, it was the culture of the BBC to take innocent DJs and turn them into paedos, it was part of their charter in the 70s I believe. If it hadn't been for all that fame, Jimmy Savile would have lived a quiet life molesting girls unnoticed.

You do puzzle me RCP, the more you try to sound like an iconaclast, the more you sound well silly.

I mean if a coal miner with a lousy hair cut turned up at Stoke Mandeville to grope the patients. Even in the permissive 60s I suspect the police would have been called.

When its a beloved BBC star and alround good egg, he got the keys to his own private gropatorium.

Saville should be a clinical study in what happens to a sexual predator who had no limits put on him.

Quote: sootyj @ October 13 2012, 5:00 PM BST

Saville should be a clinical study in what happens to a sexual predator who had no limits put on him.

...in a permissive pretty limitless environment that encouraged stars to be excessive and starry. Those days have mostly gone so it'll be hard for others to do the same again.

The Swiss press catches up late:

http://bazonline.ch/panorama/vermischtes/PaedophilieVorwuerfe-gegen-britischen-TVStar/story/13800603

Jeez... Another costly Saville enquiry on the horizon.

Booyah

Quote: sootyj @ October 13 2012, 5:00 PM BST

You do puzzle me RCP, the more you try to sound like an iconaclast, the more you sound well silly.

I mean if a coal miner with a lousy hair cut turned up at Stoke Mandeville to grope the patients. Even in the permissive 60s I suspect the police would have been called.

If he had been an unknown - which let's face it are the vast and overwhelming majority of kiddy fiddlers - he could have got a job in Stoke Mandeville and groped sick bitches to his heart's content.

Your assertion that the BBC are to blame for his abhorrent behaviour and must therefore be punished is like blaming the ligthning for making Frankenstein's monster.

But as the only real perpertrator for these crimes is a dead man, people have direct their outrage somewhere else. Luckily, there will be a slew of other deceased people (many with knightshoods) they can vent their anger towards.

Not that the amount of public anger is in any way disproportionate to the crimes.

*On the plus side, the BBC has much deeper pockets then Savile's estate for handing out compensation to the victims.