British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 883

Quote: Nogget @ September 30 2012, 11:29 AM BST

"
Disagree, the lack of movement is what makes them scary. Or at last, made them scary in the past, before they were hopelessly overused.

Three stories in about six years doesn't feel like they've been 'hopelessly overused'!

Hopefully if they're back it won't be for a series or two though.

Well like I say, when first appeared we didn't know anything about them so that was cool. Now it just seems a tad silly. Another factory/farm.. etc. And what was this business about the Tardis not being able to land in NY in 1942???

Quote: Marc P @ September 30 2012, 11:33 AM BST

And what was this business about the Tardis not being able to land in NY in 1942???

Too much time distortion caused by the concentration of Angel's zapping people into past on their Farm was messing up the Tardis ability to lock on and land.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 30 2012, 11:34 AM BST

Too much time distortion caused by the concentration of Angel's zapping people into past on their Farm was messing up the Tardis ability to lock on and land.

Not budget constraints then.

By the way, did I miss something, but when did the weeping angels become able to take over any old bit of masonry? I thought they were just aliens that looked like statues?

Quote: Pingl @ September 30 2012, 11:36 AM BST

Not budget constraints then.

How d'you mean? That wouldn't be an issue. They did actually land there in the end anyway.

Episode looked rather smashing. All actors at top of their game; personally thought Angel's used very effectively, lot's of creepy moments. 'Why is it smiling?' Brrr...!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 30 2012, 11:39 AM BST

How d'you mean? That wouldn't be an issue. They did actually land there in the end anyway.

Episode looked rather smashing. All actors at top of their game; personally thought Angel's used very effectively, lot's of creepy moments. 'Why is it smiling?' Brrr...!

BRRR? Waste of a location, could have been anywhere if it wasn't for the pointless statue of liberty bit, which needed to move to be effective. Flawed like every episode apart from the Dalek one.

Quote: Pingl @ September 30 2012, 11:44 AM BST

BRRR? Waste of a location, could have been anywhere if it wasn't for the pointless statue of liberty bit, which needed to move to be effective.

Disagree.

Time for my series break scores on the doors:

Asylum Of The Daleks: 3.5/5
Dinosaurs On A Spaceship: 4/5
A Town Called Mercy: 3/5
The Power Of Three: 2.5/5
The Angel's Take Manhattan: 4/5

I imagine you all agree. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 30 2012, 11:51 AM BST

Disagree.

Time for my series break scores on the doors:

Asylum Of The Daleks: 3.5/5
Dinosaurs On A Spaceship: 4/5
A Town Called Mercy: 3/5
The Power Of Three: 2.5/5
The Angel's Take Manhattan: 4/5

I imagine you all agree. :)

You imagine incorrectly :P

And while I'm at it why didn't the statue of liberty just zap Rory and Amy on the roof when they were staring into each others eyes, don't say the dr he was looking at them too. Very emotionally uninvolving scene that, not well acted.

If the Doctor wants to see Rory and Amy again why not just land the Tardis in New Jersey and get the train into New York?

That would create a timedimensional back flux in the spatial field of plot convenience that could only be solved if he had his sonic screwdriver, but the time lords decreed that no sonic screwdrivers are allowed on trains, so he would have to leave it in the Tardis. It's quite obvious really! Tuts.

Quote: Marc P @ September 30 2012, 12:55 PM BST

That would create a timedimensional back flux in the spatial field of plot convenience that could only be solved if he had his sonic screwdriver, but the time lords decreed that no sonic screwdrivers are allowed on trains, so he would have to leave it in the Tardis. It's quite obvious really! Tuts.

Sometimes I don't think you respect Who what like me and Stott do.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 29 2012, 1:35 AM BST

More than ever, over time QL is looking like the greatest light entertainment format ever devised, in terms of effortless potential for drama, humour and polemic. It's such a neat idea it makes your eyes water.

Oh boy.

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2012, 1:13 PM BST

Sometimes I don't think you respect Who what like me and Stott do.

Oh boy.

It's true I am not often dazzled by the brilliance of it's plotting. Smith has become a bit of a charicature for me too. Gurning and twirling seldom makes up for lack of story.

I quite enjoyed that. The pacing and suspense were handled well, the Weeping Angel Babies were creepy, the death of the Ponds wasn't dragged out unnecessarily. Along with Asylum, the best episode of the series.

However, people jumping off a roof is a terrible Moffat trope now. Looking forward to the new assistant as both Melody and Amy looked very unattractive in this week's episode.

It was good to see Mike McShane again, though he also provided the biggest plot hole in the entire programme. He'd 'tortured' a Weeping Angel, which means that defeating them would be a piece of piss. Instead of a sonic screwdriver, just get yourself a decent lump hammer.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 30 2012, 2:34 PM BST

It was good to see Mike McShane again, though he also provided the biggest plot hole in the entire programme. He'd 'tortured' a Weeping Angel, which means that defeating them would be a piece of piss. Instead of a sonic screwdriver, just get yourself a decent lump hammer.

That's not a plot hole.