British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 882

The line stolen from Ghostbusters in the first minute bothered me.

Nice and creepy, nice and emotional, loved the way they went back to that moment from Amy's first episode. Baby Angel's were good, the scene in the basement was very effective. Yeah, The Statue Of Liberty thing was a bit stupid, but there you go.

I think they should leave the angels alone for abit, they]re effective but a little confused.

They don't bloody do anything now, it's like sticking a big cardboard cut out saying monster on it. As it was on the storyboard!! ;)

[quote name="Matthew Stott" post="918018" date="September 29 2012, 11:34 PM BST" loved the way they went back to that moment from Amy's first episode. [/quote]
It just made me a little sad that we went from that episode to her wearing sexy geek glasses while the Doctor, read to her etc. She should have been such a better character, she was traduced. The doctor doesn't sit about being a nerd in new york for american audiences, he is bigger than that, and the stories should be. Indiana Jones stops half way through the lost ark to share a bit of poetry and a cookery lesson and lick a ball and pant a fence... NO! Sorry kick a ball.... mind you!!

Disappointing!

I was glad to see the back of the bloody Ponds, though disappointed not to see their bodies splattered on the sidewalk.

Though in a Whoniverse that has long since given up on any attempt at consistent temporal logic, I am sceptical of the promise that we shall never see them again; there will doubtless be a season finale or Christmas special which is incomplete without their feelgood presence.

Completely randomly, this is the first episode of Dr Who I have ever watched (well, since the re-boot, post-Eccleston).

Didn't have a bastarding clue what the hell was going on, but it was pretty creepy and fun I guess. Well-made certainly.

Is that an above-average episode? Below-average? Classic episode? Dud?

Dr Who is a craze I always avoided, but I might check a few more episodes now.

I quite enjoyed it, mainly because it reminded me of an episode of Saphire and Steel.

It was better than the last couple of episodes, with some nice atmospheric creepy bits, but the plot was unsatisfactory. I didn't expect them to give the Ponds anything other than a "happy ever after," but it still felt cheesy, pandering to the sentimental audience instead of, oh I don't know, challenging them. Also, dear Mr Moffat, the 'written message sent back through time' trope needs to be shelved for awhile. And what was the point of the twist in the end where Rory got done by the final angel? There should have been some prior event which made that resonate, like maybe ironically Rory had been responsible for it being there. As it was, it just happened to give Amy another chance to be predictably heroically romantic.

I am sick of the bloody voice over thing! Stop it! I've seen worse, but I think the Pond's deserved better. The weeping angel delights are not served as well as they could be, you would need a better story to fully use them, was New York the location just to underuse the statue of liberty. I want to see the little beggers move! They need to be given that function to make them truly scary. The baby angels would have been far more terrifying if you could see them move. They are basically the autons without the power of movement. OK but nothing out of the ordinary.

The broken wrist thing seemed a bit of dark drama sneaked in from a far better Dr Who series.

Quote: Pingl @ September 30 2012, 11:11 AM BST

I want to see the little beggers move! They need to be given that function to make them truly scary. The baby angels would have been far more terrifying if you could see them move.

No, the whole point of them is they move when you're not looking. For me that adds to the creepiness.

Quote: Nogget @ September 30 2012, 11:06 AM BST

And what was the point of the twist in the end where Rory got done by the final angel? There should have been some prior event which made that resonate, like maybe ironically Rory had been responsible for it being there.

Well, they just thought they'd won, all was well, things were good, ZAP, in a second, rug pulled and suddenly he's gone and finished with.

"I want to see the little beggers move! They need to be given that function to make them truly scary."

Disagree, the lack of movement is what makes them scary. Or at last, made them scary in the past, before they were hopelessly overused.

Quote: Marc P @ September 29 2012, 11:51 PM BST

They don't bloody do anything now,

When did they? They've always been a very simple baddie; in their first ep all they did was hang around and zap people to the past. They live to feed. In this episode they actually did a little more, with the introduction of the battery farm idea.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 30 2012, 11:30 AM BST

When did they? They've always been a very simple baddie; in their first ep all they did was hang around and zap people to the past. They live to feed. In this episode they actually did a little more, with the introduction of the battery farm idea.

That's my point, they need to! They are not scary anymore, they need to evolve or be dumped.