British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 874

Quote: Pingl @ September 23 2012, 2:30 PM BST

the problem with Dr Who is that so beloved is it by a hard core group of fans that they will hear not a word said against it. Last nights episode was crap, face it.

No, we're just talking about general reviewers for newpapers and magazines, not the rabid fan. And there is no definitive verdict on an episode, I'm sure some people genuinly loved it. I thought it was severly compromised by the run time, but there was lots to enjoy.

Quote: Ben @ September 23 2012, 2:16 PM BST

3.5 is above average really, so you can't complain too much about that score from a publication who are expecting so much.

I only saw a few moments of it last night whilst my girlfriend had it on. In those few moments, though, the Doctor mentioned Zygons.

In context a 4-4.5 from SFX means average to above average.

3.5 is an ok score for something mediocre like SG1. For a hi profile show like Dr Who it's incredibly bad.

Quote: sootyj @ September 23 2012, 2:36 PM BST

In context a 4-4.5 from SFX means average to above average.

3.5 is an ok score for something mediocre like SG1. For a hi profile show like Dr Who it's incredibly bad.

Meh, it's one reviewer, Sooty. They get someone else in, it might get less. Or more.

Something went wrong either at the script editing level or the editing level and I'm afraid that is a bad sign in such a high profile programme. My 11 year old daughter whom I watch it with, her mother hates it, didn't rate it much. Mark my words if something isn't done I can see a Michael Grade like figure coming over the horizon with an axe.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 23 2012, 2:14 PM BST

It's been getting lots of very good reviews all over the place, too.

They're generally what I call "King Kong reviews." Because the review sounds positive but it actually reads as "looked impressive but I didn't understand it so yeh its great."

A year later the same reviewer will utterly slate the same program or film when something better out and more importantly the FX have made another leap forward.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 23 2012, 2:37 PM BST

Meh, it's one reviewer, Sooty. They get someone else in, it might get less. Or more.

SFX is the unquestionable experts on scifi. You might as well argue with Dereck Acora.

Knowing you, you probably would.

Quote: sootyj @ September 23 2012, 2:41 PM BST

They're generally what I call "King Kong reviews." Because the review sounds positive but it actually reads as "looked impressive but I didn't understand it so yeh its great."

Ha, good line,. But no, that's bollocks, it's had mediocre and bad reviews, and it's had lots of genuinly positive reviews too. Just a fact, no point in trying to explain them away because you don't agree.

Quote: Pingl @ September 23 2012, 2:30 PM BST

the problem with Dr Who is that so beloved is it by a hard core group of fans that they will hear not a word said against it. Last nights episode was crap, face it. Even if you love something you cannot blind yourself to its weak spots. nothing is so sacrosanct that it becomes constantly brilliant. It does seem to me this series is looking tired and little bit pale compared to the earlier ones. I must say I thought the same of the last, but not on the same scale. I think it needs an injection of new writers who would be willing to be a little more creative instead of constantly mining the glory days which are fast fading.

It was a remake of one of my favourite episodes of Who "The Lodger." And utterly ifnerior to it.

The idea of mixing some low key kitchen sink scifi with a supposedly massive new enemy. Was ridiculous

Quote: sootyj @ September 23 2012, 2:41 PM BST

SFX is the unquestionable experts on scifi. You might as well argue with Dereck Acora.

Knowing you, you probably would.

No, it doesn't mean you must take their opinion over someone elses, just because they're sci-fi fans. At the end of the day, the only opion that counts is your own, not what someone at a magazine said.

Also, uncalled for at the end there, poo head.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 23 2012, 2:46 PM BST

No, it doesn't mean you must take their opinion over someone elses, just because they're sci-fi fans. At the end of the day, the only opion that counts is your own, not what someone at a magazine said.

Also, uncalled for at the end there, poo head.

You wouldn't argue with Dereck Acora? How about if he dissed Dr Who? And spoke to the ghost of William Hartnell about him not liking it?

But most TV reviewers don't get a specific genre like Scifi. So I find SFX (and previously the excellent Deathray) gives a good level review.

Quote: sootyj @ September 23 2012, 2:52 PM BST

But most TV reviewers don't get a specific genre like Scifi. So I find SFX (and previously the excellent Deathray) gives a good level review.

Having a quick glance at SFX, reviews are pretty positive. One 5/5, one 4/5, two 3.5/5, and a positive, ungraded, response to next weeks. pretty good, really. If anything, I think they've been over-generous with a couple of them; I'd knock the first one down to a 4/5 myself, and drop the extra half point it gave the cowboy one.

They're best at pointing out the definitively mediocre if you get what I mean.

A lack lustre episode, with too many plot inconsistencies.

Quote: billwill @ September 23 2012, 4:11 PM BST

A lack lustre episode, with too many plot inconsistencies.

True. The Bi-pollar doctor thing was a little over done..

And they keep trying to do this thing happens out of plot.. The Henry VIII sequence and lost seven weeks.. it worked the first time they did it but its becoming tedious..

The choir background Music at the end had me reaching for something to throw at the tV Screen.

Theres lots of pay-offs to the American audience.

Not a series highlight

Looking forward to the Angels and Alex Kingston next week however

APScene

And one thing that came out powerfully are just how incredibly boring the Ponds are.

Just really achingly dull.

Bring back Martha!