British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 873

It wasn't a bad episode, although I agree with an earlier comment that the first twenty minutes dragged. Having said that I was very impressed with how much global heart attack care has moved on in recent years - there was a time when everybody having simultanous heart attacks on the planet would have been a bad thing. But I don't think anybody even died, did they?

And shouldn't have been called The Power Of Four, or was Rory's dad not important enough.

Thinking Rory's dad might make for a good new assistant.

It was a mad rush to get a few gags into a story where the supposedly all powerful villains could be beaten with a wave of the sonic screwdriver. It reminded me of the seventies when that bloody screwdriver was constantly foiling supervillains despite looking like a puncture repair kit.It was trying to hard to be quirky, the script was packed to solidly and the loose ends tied lazily. The birdy song gag was just weak.

Quote: Pingl @ September 23 2012, 11:39 AM BST

The birdy song gag was just weak.

And thirty-odd years out of date. How old was the guy who wrote it?

Quote: Pingl @ September 23 2012, 11:39 AM BST

The birdy song gag was just weak.

Made me laugh. I'm sorry.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 23 2012, 12:26 PM BST

Made me laugh. I'm sorry.

Do you find the words POO POO Funny? :D

Quote: Pingl @ September 23 2012, 12:28 PM BST

Do you find the words POO POO Funny? :D

Maybe, I'd need some context.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 23 2012, 12:28 PM BST

Maybe, I'd need some context.

:D

One of the good things about the episode was that with the return of The Unit, Torchwood has effectively been dead and buried. Back in RTD's day, they'd have popped up.

Looking forward to the angels show next week. Pity River Song is in it, though. Although she shouldn't be since hasn't her reverse timeline now moved past knowing the Doctor? Or something.

The UNIT?

Rory kisses Doctor, Doctor kisses Amy, Kate Stewart kisses Doctor then they all go to a lesbian wedding - and those were the highlights.

This just seemed to be a load of filler with zero tension and even less drama. I'm not even going to discuss the use of the defribrillator and the consequences of the cubes sending out mass electrical charges or how the Doctor went over to UNIT's computer and did the fast typing trope.

I can't even bring myself to hate it, such was it's underwelming-ness.

The annoying thing was there was a ghost of a good idea.

The cubes were a rather good postmodern pun of sorts. We'll take anything into our homes if it's bright and stylish and ultimately pointless. The Daleks as ipads (and fare more subtle than the original Atos and bluetooth versions in past series). And the cubes were kinda cool.

A decent pun buried in perhaps one of the turgid and stupid episodes in a series that is getting more and more dull.

Dr Who is getting consistent 3.5s from SFX. When the magazine for people who like Scifi but don't masturbate over it. Says you're consistently mediocre, then that ain't good.

Quote: sootyj @ September 23 2012, 2:09 PM BST

Dr Who is getting consistent 3.5s from SFX. When the magazine for people who like Scifi but don't masturbate over it. Says you're consistently mediocre, then that ain't good.

It's been getting lots of very good reviews all over the place, too.

3.5 is above average really, so you can't complain too much about that score from a publication who are expecting so much.

I only saw a few moments of it last night whilst my girlfriend had it on. In those few moments, though, the Doctor mentioned Zygons.

the problem with Dr Who is that so beloved is it by a hard core group of fans that they will hear not a word said against it. Last nights episode was crap, face it. Even if you love something you cannot blind yourself to its weak spots. nothing is so sacrosanct that it becomes constantly brilliant. It does seem to me this series is looking tired and little bit pale compared to the earlier ones. I must say I thought the same of the last, but not on the same scale. I think it needs an injection of new writers who would be willing to be a little more creative instead of constantly mining the glory days which are fast fading.