British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 872

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 18 2012, 6:01 PM BST

I know the guy a bit. I like it because it's reasoned, it states the facts, he doesn't go over the top, AND he'll praise what's right, not just find new 'funny' ways to say how absolutely awful it is.

My complaints about this thread are not about everyone, but a few; lot's of people have made similar, reasoned, fair enough points as Andrew. You can engage with his take because he's not just coming from a place of 'This is shit'. You can look at the good and the bad and actually have a fun discussion.

I've posted a few 'utter shit' style posts, although I always back it up at some point. I recall praising Moffat's headless monk concept and the Sontaran forced to work as a field nurse as a punishment - both excellent ideas. I also thought Gatiss's teaser with the Dalek on the wargaming board was completely brilliant and have said so. The tree man and woman from the recent special were fantastically creepy and examples of imaginative plotting and outstanding production design.

There has been a uniformity on here about the casting of Matt Smith as well and praise for RTD. There is good writing, and there are good episodes. Unfortunately there a lot of mistakes. I think the use of that word is justified because unlike most shows Who has been analysed and discussed at a quantum level by the smartest people out there.

I'm not naƮve enough to be surprised that the modern production team doesn't consult these people but I still wish they would because the show should (and could) be utterly amazing - from episode to episode and it's under-performing at present.

Is it just me, or does every episode of Who now start with a voiceover?

Tonight's episode was the worst episode ever.

(First!)

I'm liking it.
Although it's one of those relationship ones.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 22 2012, 7:49 PM BST

I'm liking it.

Yeah, me too.

That was my favourite so far.
I liked the Dalek one, didn't mind the Dinosaur one & didn't like the Cowboy one.

That's my indepth critique.

Angels will be good next week, as they are proper scary.

What the hell was that all about. Bobbins

Very nice episode, full of lovely bits, but really rushed ending. Needed another ten mins, surely, to give that more.

That's two I haven't seen now. Matt you should be pleased I'm not watching something I don't like.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 22 2012, 8:33 PM BST

That's two I haven't seen now. Matt you should be pleased I'm not watching something I don't like.

I'm over the moon.

:D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 22 2012, 8:24 PM BST

Very nice episode, full of lovely bits, but really rushed ending. Needed another ten mins, surely, to give that more.

That's very much my view of it. Rushed ending, but I can do with that, as it was a nice character focus type episode.

They could have got an extra ten minutes by cutting some from the beginning, it dragged a touch. Nice enough episode though.

"Rushed ending" doesn't quite describe it, he just waved his magic wand and all was well again. It was an odd episode, with a lot of genuinely creepy bits and interesting stuff happening, which was nice, but it tried to do too much by having the twin themes of the assistants' relationship with the Doctor, together with the invasion stuff, and so inevitably both were dealt with in a cursory and unsatisfactory manner.

However, much better than the previous two episodes.

Well it's like the lodger and the sequel. Where the Dr takes some time out and gets to know people on earth, talks about his loneliness.

blah blah blah

except it was really dull and just turned Rory and Amy into dull cyphers.