British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 871

I wouldn't it may be the worst example of anything ever.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 18 2012, 4:32 PM BST

Notice Stott hasn't had much to say about this season.

Because I'm generally steering clear of talking about each episode too much on here. There's only so many times you can talk about it with the same four or five people who dislike most episodes before all the fun is gone.

Quote: sootyj @ September 18 2012, 4:43 PM BST

I wouldn't it may be the worst example of anything ever.

Example of what..?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 18 2012, 4:57 PM BST

Because I'm generally steering clear of talking about each episode too much on here. There's only so many times you can talk about it with the same four or five people who dislike most episodes before all the fun is gone.

Mmmn, what I find most depressing about that statement is your dismissal of people's criticism of the show as 'disliking most episodes' when people have gone to great lengths on here to explain what they like and dislike and why they feel disappointed or let down.

To you they're people who just don't like it. You fail to appreciate a critical dynamic at any level. Amazing.

Anything. It's worse than over ripe bananas, pebbles in your shoes, names that you always pronounce wrongly. It's just the epogee of wrongness.

It's even worse than my friends cat that farted in my face,
right up my nose. And this was not a well cat, it was a very smelly unwell cat. And farted directly into my nose.

I'd plucked my nasal hair that morning so there wasn't even that degree of protection.

That's how bad it was.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 18 2012, 5:07 PM BST

Mmmn, what I find most depressing about that statement is your dismissal of people's criticism of the show as 'disliking most episodes' when people have gone to great lengths on here to explain what they like and dislike and why they feel disappointed or let down.

To you they're people who just don't like it. You fail to appreciate a critical dynamic at any level. Amazing.

Oh do sod off. I don't get into talking about it too much with people such as yourself as it's tiresome, not because you have problems with it. I love how script editor Andrew Ellard takes each episode apart over Twitter, and he ALWAYS finds plenty to kick at. He destroyed Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, but never once called anyone a c**t. I'm more than able to appreciate criticism, and more than able to see when someone is being condescending, too. That's not at all what I find tiresome.

Quote: sootyj @ September 18 2012, 5:07 PM BST

Anything. It's worse than over ripe bananas, pebbles in your shoes, names that you always pronounce wrongly. It's just the epogee of wrongness.

It's even worse than my friends cat that farted in my face,
right up my nose. And this was not a well cat, it was a very smelly unwell cat. And farted directly into my nose.

I'd plucked my nasal hair that morning so there wasn't even that degree of protection.

That's how bad it was.

WHAT is? The last episode? The show in general? The look of the next episode? Be specific!

That episode.

Sick cat fart up the nose bad.

Quote: sootyj @ September 18 2012, 5:19 PM BST

That episode.

Sick cat fart up the nose bad.

Nah, it wasn't as bad as that. I guess that's one of the things that bugs me, I'd prefer people to be straight ahead and honest, like Ellard, rather than the over the top proclomations. No episode is ever the worst thing ever.

This one had merits, but was far too straight ahead, it lacked surprise, or twists, or real tension; but at the very least it tried to be about something. I'd have preferred more threat, menace and surprise.

And would you look at that, I didn't just gobble at the episodes cock, I put down a point or two that didn't work for me. Matt Smith was great, as usual, but it feels like it was strongly lacking as an episode.

This episode had less merits than Adolf Hitler attending a Jewish girls scout in Israel, and still being dead.

In fact, if anyone is on Twitter and doesn't follow Ellard, he's well worth following for his tweet notes on each new Who episode. Smart, holds no punches, but praises what they get right, too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 18 2012, 5:12 PM BST

Oh do sod off. I don't get into talking about it too much with people such as yourself as it's tiresome, not because you don't like it, or have problems with it. I love how script editor Andrew Ellard takes each episode apart over Twitter, and he ALWAYS finds plenty to kick at. He destroyed Dinosaurs On A Spaceship. I'm more than able to appreciate criticism, and more than able to see when someone is being condescending, too. That's not at all what I find tiresome.

Anyone interested can read Andrew Ellard's 'tweetnotes' on Dinosaurs on a Spaceship here. He doesn't say anything that we haven't said and it's a lot less fruity. He is however an industry figure so that might be why you prefer his criticism.

I note that he also describes Dinosaurs in another tweet as a 'remake of Jurassic park'. The only resemblance I could see apart from the dinosaurs was they both feature a character in a safari jacket.

I made a much better comment about the show being suggested by a viewing Carnival of Monsters which you didn't engage with - perhaps because you found it tiresome. I could write the definitive Who blog if I could be bothered, and have hundreds of thousands of followers but instead I like to post a bit of reasoned criticism here.

I've never been condescending to you, incidentally, and apologise if I have given that impression. I treat you as an equal, which is why I reply to your posts and don't ignore them. The impression I get from you is that you think the comments of Andrew Ellard are more insightful and pertinent than what is written here.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 18 2012, 5:45 PM BST

Anyone interested can read Andrew Ellard's 'tweetnotes' on Dinosaurs on a Spaceship here. He doesn't say anything that we haven't said and it's a lot less fruity. He is however an industry figure so that might be why you prefer his criticism.

I know the guy a bit. I like it because it's reasoned, it states the facts, he doesn't go over the top, AND he'll praise what's right, not just find new 'funny' ways to say how absolutely awful it is.

My complaints about this thread are not about everyone, but a few; lot's of people have made similar, reasoned, fair enough points as Andrew. You can engage with his take because he's not just coming from a place of 'This is shit'. You can look at the good and the bad and actually have a fun discussion.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 18 2012, 6:01 PM BST

not just find new 'funny' ways to say how absolutely awful it is.

That Stott along with my elance client who called my work "error free" will join my growin list of plaudits I am truly proud of.

I note that he also describes Dinosaurs in another tweet as a 'remake of Jurassic park'. The only resemblance I could see apart from the dinosaurs was they both feature a character in a safari jacket.

He was pointing out the absurdity of people saying that:

Andrew Ellard‏@ellardent

"New Dr Who complaints. "Last week remade Jurassic Park, this week Westworld. Yes, well done, you've spotted dinosaurs and a robot cowboy."

And:

Andrew Ellard‏@ellardent

"Neither DOAS or ATCM were about the things Jurassic Park or Westworld were about. (Which was, btw, the same thing.) Put the pen down."

As in, people see one superficial similarity, in this case just the fact there were dinosaurs, and scream 'Rip Off!' It's dumb, silly, wrong.

Quote: sootyj @ September 18 2012, 6:06 PM BST

That Stott along with my elance client who called my work "error free" will join my growin list of plaudits I am truly proud of.

Hey, who said I was talking about you, big head?! ;)

The impression I get from you is that you think the comments of Andrew Ellard are more insightful and pertinent than what is written here.

As I say, I like him because he's not coming from a default position of 'This will be shit'. He enjoys the show, but still points out all the flaws. And, importantly, if he doesn't like an episode, he'll still point out all the stuff he does like. It's that light and shade that leads to a more balanced, and enjoyable, discussion.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 18 2012, 6:09 PM BST

He was pointing out the absurdity of people saying that:

Andrew Ellard‏@ellardent

New Dr Who complaints. "Last week remade Jurassic Park, this week Westworld. Yes, well done, you've spotted dinosaurs and a robot cowboy.

As in, people see one superficial similarity, in this case just the fact there were dinosaurs, and scream 'Rip Off!' It's dumb, silly, wrong.

My mistake. Having to skim quickly because he tweets a hell of a lot.

And he lOoks like aaron the lucky dog