British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 7 Page 7

Quote: bigger niche @ September 18 2012, 3:51 PM BST

I bet you're not a right little cracker at all!

I am. I look like Robbie Coltrane.

Yes, I made them twitter complain with one of my jokes. I DO NOT want to get black balled.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ September 18 2012, 3:59 PM BST

Sexy! Cool

Sent in my lot for 3pm because I was trying to cull them down and kept thinking up new ones. Ended up with 12 vox pops and 6 'intro' jokes - thankfully I'd not bothered with any corrections.

I think iPhone/Jobs jokes could be fine (Within reason) - if you tried tackling the subject of Hillsborough however they might start deploying mail filters...

To put it another way, it involved the word cheamotherapy

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ September 18 2012, 4:46 PM BST

Yeah... >_< That probably wasn't so NewsJack in tone. :)

Yeah I realise that writing about the current big news story is probably dumb but it was the only news thing I found inspiring comedy wise (or maybethat's just my juvenile mindset, surely not) + don't really mind if they don't use it, was fun to write. In terms of the tone was going for a "The day today" type thing, but might have been wrong about that. Also was just kidding about being OUTRAGED that people think its not a good idea to try writing jokes about obvious stuff , wasnt meant to be serious !

Quote: alabastercodify @ September 18 2012, 7:56 PM BST

Yeah I realise that writing about the current big news story is probably dumb but it was the only news thing I found inspiring comedy wise (or maybethat's just my juvenile mindset, surely not) + don't really mind if they don't use it, was fun to write. In terms of the tone was going for a "The day today" type thing, but might have been wrong about that. Also was just kidding about being OUTRAGED that people think its not a good idea to try writing jokes about obvious stuff , wasnt meant to be serious !

You write like someone talking really fast :)

It's not that it's a bad idea because it's the main story. It's just that NJ is quite deferential really and won't touch this story because it contains 1. Royals and 2. Um Boobies (snigger). For better or worse NJ is quite different to the Day Today. We can argue about which is better but the Day Today ain't looking for sketches.

Quote: David Salisbury @ September 18 2012, 9:49 PM BST

You write like someone talking really fast :)

It's not that it's a bad idea because it's the main story. It's just that NJ is quite deferential really and won't touch this story because it contains 1. Royals and 2. Um Boobies (snigger). For better or worse NJ is quite different to the Day Today. We can argue about which is better but the Day Today ain't looking for sketches.

I hate to disagree (not really) but my money is this story will be covered in some way. NJ likes to mock royals as much as the next outfit. And I don't think it's particularly deferential either.

NJ used to have a recurring royal correspondent character that popped up a few times. A character originally created by someone here on BCG, I believe!

Unless I'm remembering wrong and it was just similar characters.

Quote: bigger niche @ September 18 2012, 3:06 PM BST

I thought Gerry was a girl! :O

Yes he is.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ September 18 2012, 4:46 PM BST

It doesn't work.

I went to Cheam once and, if anything, it made me feel worse Teary

Yeah have to say I don't see how you can have a supposedly satirical current affairs comedy programme that dosent want to mention the biggest story of the week or Royals or breasts for that matter. also wasnt saying its a better or worse programme than on the hour/ day today it just seemed like a similar type of programme . but if we can't do dick jokes and fart gags ahhh WHATS THE POINT !

(hope that was paced better for you by the way ) :D

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ September 18 2012, 3:59 PM BST

Nice. Thanks for the mental image. That should make it a lot easier for me to stop touching myself whilst looking at your avatar Cool

After about 6-ish tomorrow we'll know what material is NOT going to be in the show and for those going tonight (including me) we might know by 8:30!

Just a reminder that we're looking for sketches for Live from Kirrin Island #2 and before we rush for critique, if you include KI: somewhere in the title [I know the custom is to use NJ: for searches so we might need to include both?] we'll treat it as a submission for next week's #KIPOD.

If you don't want your sketch performed in front of an audience to confirm it really is funny, recorded, and then podcast then don't bother with the KI:

See some of you tonight :)

Alison

I saw some stats that showed about 5% of submitters got work into each episode of NJ last year.

Here's hoping...see you at six o'clock this evening!