British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 869

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 17 2012, 9:54 AM BST

Fair piont , they should have instantly recognized their own Alien Doctor.. Plot cock-up best explanation I have.

APS

I think they knew, but were hoping that the gunslinger would take The Doctor instead of their doctor.

The episode was lazy drivel.

Not impressed at all with this series so far.

I'll be glad to see the back of the Ponds. There seems to be an effort underway to make them deliberately unlikable and tedious.

Next week the Dr moves in with him.

Oh dear.

Rewatching some of the older episodes. PreBadwolf Billie Piper and Katherine thingumy were rather good. Sparky independent characters with a life of their own and not obsessed with the Dr. Actually even season 1 Captain Jack wasn't bad. But the attempt to turn the whole thing into a subBuffy soap is a foolish mistake.

Was that Stephen Berkoff in the trailer?

Is the 'one-off' format set in stone now?
Can't help thinking that has to bear some of the blame for the poor quality.
Instead of having a proper story arc over 3 or 4 episodes - they have to rattle a story out in 40 mins - superimposing some dreary overarching 'soap' arc across the completely several disparate episodes.

Quote: billwill @ September 17 2012, 10:19 AM BST

I think they knew, but were hoping that the gunslinger would take The Doctor instead of their doctor.

I'd go along with that premise if the Sheriff hadn't hidden the Alien Doctor in a jail cell under a blanket because otherwise the townsfolk were going to give him up.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 17 2012, 10:54 AM BST

Instead of having a proper story arc over 3 or 4 episodes - they have to rattle a story out in 40 mins - superimposing some dreary overarching 'soap' arc across the completely several disparate episodes.

People complain when they did do that, now they complain that they don't. Lesson? If you run Doctor Who, you're damned whatever! Pleased

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2012, 10:59 AM BST

I'd go along with that premise if the Sheriff hadn't hidden the Alien Doctor in a jail cell under a blanket because otherwise the townsfolk were going to give him up.

It has to be said, it's going some to have a plot hole before the plots even started.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 17 2012, 11:00 AM BST

People complain when they did do that, now they complain that they don't. Lesson? If you run Doctor Who, you're damned whatever! Pleased

I am not 'people'!
:)
I've always been of this opinion.
I'm of the generation for whom the 'woosh' of the theme music at the end had the same significance as the drums at the end of Eastenders.
Still miss that in New Who.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 17 2012, 10:54 AM BST

Is the 'one-off' format set in stone now?

Doctor Who nerds have pointed out that the flashing lightbulbs in every show of this series are linked in with the Weeping Angels and that the Doctor will probably turn into an evil nanobotted Dalek Borg thingy probably.

Oh Christ knows, they really do just pull stuff straight out their bumholes on this show.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2012, 10:59 AM BST

That doesn't contradict what he said. They couldn't get to the other one, as he was locked up, so hoped this one might do.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 17 2012, 11:01 AM BST

That doesn't contradict what he said. They couldn't get to the other one, as he was locked up, so hoped this one might do.

So everytime a stranger entered the town, the first words out of the townspeople mouth's were: 'Are you a doctor from outer space? Because we have a doctor from outer space here in the town already, but we don't want to give him up, except we do but because he's hiding, we are constantly on the look out for more doctors from outer space, because they come like frikkin' buses to this part of the Old West...'

:S

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2012, 11:06 AM BST

So everytime a stranger entered the town, the first words out of the townspeople mouth's were: 'Are you a doctor from outer space? Because we have a doctor from outer space here in the town already, but we don't want to give him up, except we do but because he's hiding, we are constantly on the look out for more doctors from outer space, because they come like frikkin' buses to this part of the Old West...'

:S

Yes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 17 2012, 11:09 AM BST

Yes.

That makes about as much sense as a black preacher with an all white congregation in an Old Western town.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2012, 11:12 AM BST

That makes about as much sense as a black preacher with an all white congregation in an Old Western town.

My 'Yes' may have been vaguely sarcastic. ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2012, 11:12 AM BST

Or a talking horse with gender issues.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 17 2012, 11:00 AM BST

Have you told us what you thought of it yet, Stott? Not that I imagine you'll do much damning.