British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 861

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 9:53 PM BST

The Dr is not a wooftah!

He kissed Rory on the lips in the last episode. I can't remember Patrick Troughton slipping any of his male co-workers a tongue sandwich.

Kissing a bloke on the lips?

Wheres that in your eyespy book of gayers?

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 10:03 PM BST

Kissing a bloke on the lips?

Wheres that in your eyespy book of gayers?

It's the front cover art.

I haven't seen this yet but I'll review it anyway. It was shit.

*removed inaccurate comment about Chris Chibnall*

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 1:52 PM BST

And spent the next miserable months lecturing Silurians on femnisim for morons, before screaming like a girl and hugging Tom Baker's leg.

Sarah Jane Smith never encountered the Silurians in the TV show. Oh, for an episode of Matt Smith Who where the action takes place entirely within the TARDIS and there is no orchestral shite, no ethereal ululating, no hugging and no mawkish emotions. Something that would require good writing.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 10 2012, 7:49 AM BST

Sarah Jane Smith never encountered the Silurians in the TV show. Oh, for an episode of Matt Smith Who where the action takes place entirely within the TARDIS and there is no orchestral shite, no ethereal ululating, no hugging and no mawkish emotions. Something that would require good writing.

They did those episodes they were mind numbinglt boring.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 8 2012, 9:16 PM BST

It was fun, glorious, blockbuster, Saturday night fun. Sometimes, that's all you want Who to be, and this was it. To think the same man who wrote the Silurian two parter came up with this bit of fun. Lovely. Pity Rory's Dad won't be around long.

Agreed, beginning was a bit manic but I laughed out loud a lot and have to say enjoyed it :) Tongues were very much in cheek.

I only watch Doctor Who with the kids so they can explain what's happening all the way through. I love it when they do that. It really helps me to concentrate on what's happening next.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 9 2012, 10:33 PM BST

and is written by Chris Chibnall - who wrote Vampires in Venice,

He didn't write that one, he wrote '42' and the crappy Silurian 2 parter from a couple of years back.

I remember 42 as being one of the best ones.

It's the veneration of old Who that still puzzles me. Who used to be a fun old scifi show with some fun USPs. Some times like Genesis of the Daleks, the darker edge, fun characters and wide open imagination allowed to be the best. Plenty of other times it was poor over used, over ambitious and frankly silly FX. Mixed with uneven tone, drab characters and leaden dialogue made it far worse.

At it's best it's equal to New Who, at it's worst it's some what worse than Buck Rogers. But this idea it was a mythical wonder of scifi is just well bollocks.

Sorry but true classic scifi golden age TV; Quatermass, Twilight Zone, Season 2 of Startrek, STNG 2-5.

Dr Who occaisonally makes it into that company. But most of the time it was a silly kids show and the bulk of the writers and actors acknowlege this.

Quote: sootyj @ September 10 2012, 9:49 AM BST

Sorry but true classic scifi golden age TV; Quatermass, Twilight Zone, Season 2 of Startrek, STNG 2-5.

Do you remember something similar to Twilight Zone? Night Gallery? I was thinking about that the other day. Similar twisty thing.

Yes and the Outer Limits.

Both really fine shows.

But I think Twilight Zone was some how the daddy. Hammer House of Horror had something similar in the 1970s.

Should be in the Writer's Section, but while we're on the subject....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_igBEIorE

..now he could put a story together.

I shall watch that with interest. The golden age shows like Twilight Zone or Qautermass now that was a bunch who could tell a solid story.

Quote: sootyj @ September 10 2012, 10:23 AM BST

Yes and the Outer Limits.

Both really fine shows.

But I think Twilight Zone was some how the daddy. Hammer House of Horror had something similar in the 1970s.

Yeah...definitely Outer Limits. You're right, though, Twilight Zone had it in the bag. Even the music is enough to haunt me. My dad used to let me watch all this stuff when I was very young. Also let me stay up to watch all the Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing stuff too. I don't think he liked me very much. Made me eat a Fisherman's Friend once too. He said there weren't any Tunes left. I still don't trust that explanation. Hmmm...waffling.