British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 859

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 12:22 PM BST

No they weren't and if that isn't obvious its going to be hard to explain the subtleties.

But I'll make the effort.

They're separate characters with agendas and role (and you missed out Rory's excellent dad). They're individuality affects the plot (Nefertiti insists on being sacrificed). And they have arcs (the hunter is chastened by the death of the dino) nothing huge, nothing major just the kind of neat plotting a good series can do.

Where as Joe seemed to spend years going eek and asking whats that?

Character arc's, oh please spare me the GCSE Media studies tutorial. These characters were thin, incidental and simply muddied a plot line that could have been resolved far more simply by a little care and attention to plot line..

K9 took on shakespearian proportions next to these two badly invisaged and poorly thought out characters..

APS

Why were the T-Rex's not full size?

Quote: chipolata @ September 9 2012, 1:03 PM BST

The great William Golding talks about the difference between realistic and believable in storytelling. Nobody expects Doctor Who or any sci-fi to be realistic, but you do expect storytellers to make a story believable within it's own universe. A great storyteller can make even the most proposterous balderdash seem convincing.

Although we are talking about New Who. Not exactly renowned for its great storytelling.

Yes indeed Sci-fi must remain true to its own concepts... Rule one

APS

Quote: billwill @ September 9 2012, 1:41 PM BST

They mentioned it wasn't full size and they must be in a breeding nest.

Cut backs? APS

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 11:19 AM BST

Yup and if the Dr drops in on the Ponds, Sara Jane,Unit etc etc why not a big game hunter?

"Drops in on" Sarah Jane Smith? Nay. She was a journalist who had infiltrated UNIT and then she stumbled upon the Doctor and hid in the TARDIS. As for UNIT, the Doctor has long been helping that organisation deal with alien invasions. He doesn't simply "drop in on" the Brigadier and take him off in the TARDIS - with a few exceptions.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 9 2012, 1:39 PM BST

Character arc's, oh please spare me the GCSE Media studies tutorial.

Why?

You seem to have not paid attention during GCSE media studies.

Why get so impassioned about disliking one of the best scifi shows of the 21st century?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 9 2012, 1:36 PM BST

The idea that anyone is ripping of Stargate is adorable. Whistling nnocently

Obviously, Pyramids of Mars was the pre-cursor to Stargate, just as Red Dwarf was the pre-cursor to ST: Voyager. Unfortunately, most of the writers on New Who aren't borrowing from old episodes of Classic Who, they are wholesale stealing from every sci-fi film and television show made in the last 15 years.

It was however great to see the Doctor / Matt Smith, drop the ADD coke headed acting for a few seconds to have a decent conversation with Solomon.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 9 2012, 1:42 PM BST

Cut backs? APS

Because then they'd be showing poor CGI dinosaurs for cheap thrills.

Like Terra Nova or Primeval.

As opposed to a clever and innovative scifi show. That has the highest praise any Scifi show can get.

It confuses some people.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 9 2012, 1:44 PM BST

Obviously, Pyramids of Mars was the pre-cursor to Stargate, just as Red Dwarf was the pre-cursor to ST: Voyager. Unfortunately, most of the writers on New Who aren't borrowing from old episodes of Classic Who, they are wholesale stealing from every sci-fi film and television show made in the last 15 years.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. But obviously we can't say for sure, we can just look at an idea, remember something similar, and decide they stole it. Ideas are ten-a-penny, it's how you use them. I also find the idea that you could accuse them of 'stealing' just plain weird. Every writer, and show, is influenced by what they've seen, and will take elements to throw into their own mix.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 9 2012, 11:15 AM BST

with piles of trite sentimentality.

Trite sentimentality really needs to be banned from Doctor Who. You'd think nearly a thousand of years of traveling the universe and setting wrongs to right would cause a fellow to harden up.

"Ship the size of Canada".

"If it comes within 10,000 kilometres of Earth, we send up missiles."

Ten thousand km is f**k-all. It's about where the atmosphere ends.

Canada, on the other hand, is something like 10 million km square.

I humbly suggest that the Space Indians might not be the best people to put in charge of orbital defence.

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 1:44 PM BST

Why?

You seem to have not paid attention during GCSE media studies.

Why get so impassioned about disliking one of the best scifi shows of the 21st century?

I don't dislike Dr Who. Brilliantly filmed created and written usually.

I was pretty clear that I thought the writing on last nights episode was very poor.

Great exposition flows from the Characters action and plotline..

In this episode it was shoe horned in with a crow bar, and as Woody Allan would say, such small portions

APS

So they could look like velociraptors like in Jurassic Park and Godzilla and they could make the ceiling of the space ship a little smaller. Honestly though, I have no idea, they didn't make the Pterydactals into baby versions.

I'm still trying to figure out what the dinosaurs had been eating for the whole time, especially the triceritops.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 9 2012, 1:50 PM BST

I'm still trying to figure out what the dinosaurs had been eating for the whole time, especially the triceritops.

Why? Would it have added anything to the episode?
Eh?