British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 858

Quote: Tursiops @ September 9 2012, 12:45 PM BST

Yes, that was all a bit unconvincing, the beach is only six inches deep, but there are massive cliffs and oceans and such. And didn't they mumble something about the ship being propelled by wavepower? What the f**k was powering the waves?

I don't think you liked this episode.

The same thing that powered the trees in the weeping angels episode.

It's all techno bollox so why not make it pretty and engaging?

Why not just save DNA or embryos?

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 12:47 PM BST

The same thing that powered the trees in the weeping angels episode.

It's all techno bollox so why not make it pretty and engaging?

Why not just save DNA or embryos?

Exactly; it's a big, silly, weird idea. I'm not sure we need to get into the science behind it, certainly not on a show like this one. It's bollocks, but fun bollocks.

If you want to watch convincing scifi try Earth 2, till you beg for mercy.

The great William Golding talks about the difference between realistic and believable in storytelling. Nobody expects Doctor Who or any sci-fi to be realistic, but you do expect storytellers to make a story believable within it's own universe. A great storyteller can make even the most proposterous balderdash seem convincing.

Although we are talking about New Who. Not exactly renowned for its great storytelling.

I found it convincing

I found it convincing

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 10:50 AM BST

SPOILER

And the twisty end where the Dr kills the robots with a flick of his sonic screw driver before murdering the villain. Was reminesent of the end of Waters of Mars. Except more brutal and ultimately more convincing.

The villain was a self-confessed multi-murderer of what he thought were the last of the Silurians. No question of his guilt.

Yup and for once the Dr go all blubby about how he could save them. Before some one else killed them or he killed them by accident.

Is this show a load of bollocks for kids or the greatest Sci-fi programme ever made? Come on Who fans, make up your minds. ;)

Amy's 'gender politics' and 'no one remembers people who hunt defenceless animals' speeches were in keeping with the show, but still made me want to hurl.

I did enjoy the final line about the light fitting for some weird reason, maybe because it brought everything back into a reality that made sense.

I suppose what really offended me about 'Dinosaurs On A Spaceship' wasn't the overdone ark premise, or the mysterious spaceship hurtling towards Earth premise or the holographic environments or the salvage pirate villain or every other sci-fi premise they stole from ST:TNG, Voyager, Stargate, etc., it was the way the whole thing was handled.

The lack of exposition, everything is a given, don't question any of the logic involved, hey, isn't it a magical fun crotch sniffing adventure kids, approach just leaves me cold.

Eg. Instead of the Hunter handing Amy some ammo and her immediately responding that it was tranquillisers, they could have had the Hunter try out a shot on a dino, released it was a 'stun gun' and then Amy could have said 'Oh it only electrocutes and causes them severe pain, good, because I love animals, etc.' and then joined in the fight. (The fact that the guns didn't look like the hairdryer type weapons that Silurians have used throughout the history of Doctor Who should also be ignored, again for some reason)

Quote: billwill @ September 9 2012, 1:17 PM BST

The villain was a self-confessed multi-murderer of what he thought were the last of the Silurians. No question of his guilt.

Yeah, it's not like the Doctor killed an innocent old man like Bin Laden. ;)

Bin Laden certainly would have killed an innocent old man, so its a good thing the US shot him.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 9 2012, 1:26 PM BST

The lack of exposition, everything is a given, don't question any of the logic involved, hey, isn't it a magical fun crotch sniffing adventure kids, approach just leaves me cold.

Prezunctly.

I suppose what really offended me about 'Dinosaurs On A Spaceship' wasn't the overdone ark premise, or the mysterious spaceship hurtling towards Earth premise or the holographic environments or the salvage pirate villain or every other sci-fi premise they stole from ST:TNG, Voyager, Stargate, etc.,

Come off it, stole? Like Who hasn't done all of those things and more before? Like all those things could only be used in those other shows, that they 'own' them and if Who uses one it 'stole' it? That's not how it works.

Eg. Instead of the Hunter handing Amy some ammo and her immediately responding that it was tranquillisers, they could have had the Hunter try out a shot on a dino, released it was a 'stun gun' and then Amy could have said 'Oh it only electrocutes and causes them severe pain, good, because I love animals, etc.' and then joined in the fight.

Sure, they could have done that; but instead she saw that it was tranquilisers, so there was no need.

And how often did Star Trek rip off Dr Who?

The idea that anyone is ripping of Stargate is adorable. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 9 2012, 1:34 PM BST

Sure, they could have done that; but instead she saw that it was tranquilisers, so there was no need.

Remarkably effective & instant tranquillizers by the way.

With real tranq-darts on typical animal handling/zoo programs the animal usually takes a few minutes before it collapses.