British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 849

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 3 2012, 10:40 PM BST

Pah! The Girl In The Fireplace beat the Stargate SG-1 episode 200?! These awards are bogus.

Ha-ha!-you watch Stargate SG-1!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 4 2012, 8:52 AM BST

I doff my hat to Matt for reducing my feelings on the subject to one mocking sentence.
Indeed ha! ha! you watch Stargate SG-1
McGiver is your messiah.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 4 2012, 8:52 AM BST

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 9:53 AM BST

I doff my hat to Matt for reducing my feelings on the subject to one mocking sentence.
Indeed ha! ha! you watch Stargate SG-1
McGiver is your messiah.

You do realise that when we argue about which sci-fi series is better, the women on this site just cream up a treat, their loins filling with unbridled lust like an orgasmic waterfall?

Teary Miss you guys.

Well, there isn't much talk about Asylum of the Daleks on this thread - which tells you all you need to know. People are talking about other shows like they do when Who's off the air.

Pretty weak opener. I'd expect more of Moff.

Did anyone notice how the dialogue of the new assistant is exactly the same as Amy's or indeed Riversong's. Being able to differentiate character through dialogue is one of the most basic skills of a writer. Moffatt doesn't even have that.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 4 2012, 12:57 PM BST

You do realise that when we argue about which sci-fi series is better, the women on this site just cream up a treat, their loins filling with unbridled lust like an orgasmic waterfall?

Teary Miss you guys.

Sorry I thought you were gay and thus wouldn't mind.

nb SGU was pretty cool and had a proper actor in it. Which is why it was cancelled after one season.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 4 2012, 2:06 PM BST

Well, there isn't much talk about Asylum of the Daleks on this thread - which tells you all you need to know. People are talking about other shows like they do when Who's off the air.

It was a deeply unimpressive start.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 4 2012, 2:37 PM BST

Did anyone notice how the dialogue of the new assistant is exactly the same as Amy's or indeed Riversong's.

I had a massive problem with that as well. In fact, most of the women on Doctor Who, from main characters to incidental plot movers all speak in exactly the same - 'I'm a sassy, independent woman with bags of confidence and loads of bad jokes that likes to flirt with the Doctor' - style of cadence.

Not one of them turns round and says: 'You with the bow tie, stop talking and fix this crap so I can get the f**k outta here' or 'I would laugh at your jokes Doctor, but I'm a bit mentally traumatised from seeing everyone on my planet turned into a melted lake of flesh'.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 4 2012, 2:06 PM BST

This one thread isn't the only place the internet talks about Who, however.

We already know a couple of people who are regulars avoid this thread when the show is on because of, you know, bad vibes. Actually, apart from a couple of us, it seems like this thread is mainly for people who don't like the show to meet and chat.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 2:40 PM BST

It was a deeply unimpressive start.

If very well reviewed!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 4 2012, 2:58 PM BST

I had a massive problem with that as well. In fact, most of the women on Doctor Who, from main characters to incidental plot movers all speak in exactly the same - 'I'm a sassy, independent woman with bags of confidence and loads of bad jokes that likes to flirt with the Doctor' - style of cadence.

Not one of them turns round and says: 'You with the bow tie, stop talking and fix this crap so I can get the f**k outta here' or 'I would laugh at your jokes Doctor, but I'm a bit mentally traumatised from seeing everyone on my planet turned into a melted lake of flesh'.

It's a remarkably odd reworking of the old assisstant language.

You know "what's the Dr?" "what's a dalek Dr?" "why do I pee red once a month Dr?"

And now it's all "Ho ho that Dalek looks like a sex aid I shove up my bum, you lantern jawed sex god!"

Completely diferent but exactly as bad.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 4 2012, 3:54 PM BST

We already know a couple of people who are regulars avoid this thread when the show is on because of, you know, bad vibes. Actually, apart from a couple of us, it seems like this thread is mainly for people who don't like the show to meet and chat.

If very well reviewed!

So was our American cousin.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 4:01 PM BST

It's a remarkably odd reworking of the old assisstant language.

You know "what's the Dr?" "what's a dalek Dr?" "why do I pee red once a month Dr?"

The old assistant language used to do a thing called 'advancing the plot'. The Companions, acting as the audience proxy, would ask the Doctor what was happening and how they could fix it.

It's obviously much too primitive for New Who, which prefers people running around crying first and then ten minutes of the Doctor telling us what is happening at one hundred miles an hour right at the very end.

Oh and can Whovian Apologists who mocked my liking of Stargate, but simultaeneously defended the Doctor Who Christmas Specials, please eat a big one. Thank you.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 4 2012, 4:08 PM BST

Whovian Apologists

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 4 2012, 4:08 PM BST

The old assistant language used to do a thing called 'advancing the plot'. The Companions, acting as the audience proxy, would ask the Doctor what was happening and how they could fix it.

It's obviously much too primitive for New Who, which prefers people running around crying first and then ten minutes of the Doctor telling us what is happening at one hundred miles an hour right at the very end.

Oh and can Whovian Apologists who mocked my liking of Stargate, but simultaeneously defended the Doctor Who Christmas Specials, please eat a big one. Thank you.

I never defended the Christmas specials. The one offs with Tenant were quite good in retrospect but the last one was a big shit sandwich.

And the old assistant language was functional like a North Korean dildo.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 4 2012, 3:54 PM BST

Doctor Who is the world's longest running serial. You don't have to like the latest episode or even any one of the last four years to say you like the show.

All of us here who think the show is under-performing or dislike Moffat, Amy, The Cybermen whatever love the show.

And the bad vibes in this thread don't stop me posting.

I note Matthew that you haven't expressed your view on Asylum. Only told us that it was well reviewed.

Stott is an enigma wrapped in a riddle buried in a pile of crosswords.

As it is part of the of Dr Who is how variable it is.

There's almost some fun is swinging between a stinker like the one with Agatha Christie and a stone cold classic like the Drs Wife.