British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 847

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 7:53 PM BST

So it seems Neil Gaiman may have an episode coming, either after Christmas, or in the next series. He's basically confirmed, whilst picking up an award for 'The Doctor's Wife', that he's writing one. There's a rumour he may be taking on a Cybermen story.

Please let them do a good Cybermen story.
Maybe set it in the seventies where their flares won't be so conspicuous.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 3 2012, 9:46 PM BST

It's pure nostalgic hope that keeps me watching the New Who. But I guess decent storytelling has no place in our modern TV digital age.

It often didn't have a place in 'classic Who' either, I'm afraid. The quality jumped all over the place.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 3 2012, 9:46 PM BST

Bit of a shame, but look, shiny things.

Yes, you smart, me jus' like pretty pics. *dribbles and coos*

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 3 2012, 9:47 PM BST

Please let them do a good Cybermen story.

They're bound to. Surely. They've had about five dodgy ones in a row,must be due a good one soon!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 9:50 PM BST

Yes, you smart, me jus' like pretty pics. *dribbles and coos*

That's not true - you also like pap soap opera gubbins, cynically plotted finale episodes and Captain Jack's tight trousers.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 9:51 PM BST

They're bound to. Surely. They've had about five dodgy ones in a row,must be due a good one soon!

I hope so too.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 3 2012, 9:54 PM BST

That's not true - you also like pap soap opera gubbins,

Such a silly thing to try and accuse a show of. It's just called drama in any other, you know, drama; add it to sci-fi and people lose thier minds.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 9:43 PM BST

He's written a few books, and some video bits, hardly makes him suitable to toss an episode of a modern TV show at. Yes, if he'd kept his hand in properly, but he hasn't. It's pure nostalgic hope to imagine that this bloke would somehow show how it's really done.

Much like how John Cleese 'threw' the directing of A Fish Called Wanda to Charles Crichton because he'd been out of the director's chair for 20 years and thus did a crap job of it. Pure fancy to imagine he could still show how it's done. I, for one, would look forward to an episode of Doctor Who bereft of the shite that has tainted the Matt Smith tenure.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 9:56 PM BST

Such a silly thing to try and accuse a show of.

The tacked on Amy / Rory divorce storyline and 'I love you', 'No I love you more', 'No, I love you more', was soap opera pap of the highest order. It added nothing to the plot and wouldn't have seen the light of day in pre-RTD Whos.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 3 2012, 10:04 PM BST

The tacked on Amy / Rory divorce storyline and 'I love you', 'No I love you more', 'No, I love you more', was soap opera pap of the highest order. It added nothing to the plot and wouldn't have seen the light of day in pre-RTD Whos.

Yes, because most of the characters back then barely had a real emotional life. We've moved on a bit and expect more from our characters these day.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 3 2012, 10:02 PM BST

Much like how John Cleese 'threw' the directing of A Fish Called Wanda to Charles Crichton because he'd been out of the director's chair for 20 years and thus did a crap job of it.

Yes, proves Dicks would do a brilliant job.

The fact is, he may write a good episode, but he's not owed the opportunity anymore than anyone else who used to work on the show.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 10:06 PM BST

Yes, proves Dicks would do a brilliant job.

Let's hope so. Perhaps he'll get the job for the 40th anniversary special. Moffat has never been able to top The Curse of Fatal Death.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 3 2012, 10:13 PM BST

Let's hope so. Perhaps he'll get the job for the 40th anniversary special.

He'll have to travel back in time first. (It's the 50th anniversary coming up!)

Quote: Kenneth @ September 3 2012, 10:13 PM BST

Let's hope so. Perhaps he'll get the job for the 40th anniversary special. Moffat has never been able to top The Curse of Fatal Death.

She has a name you know.
It's Catherine Tate

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 10:06 PM BST

The fact is, he may write a good episode, but he's not owed the opportunity anymore than anyone else who used to work on the show.

Can't they sack the twunts who've written all the recent Christmas episodes or anything with James Corden and let Dicks have a shot? In fact, with so many duff episodes, they should let all the old writers have a go.

The first Corden episode was excellent

Gaiman coming back is great; I'd actually quite like to see RTD come back for a one off. If he could go back to the dark well he dragged 'Midnight' from, at least. The guy who writes 'Luther' is doing one this series too. (After Christmas)

I'd like Paul Cornell to come back, too.

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 10:20 PM BST

It was indeed.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 10:23 PM BST

Gaiman coming back is great; I'd actually quite like to see RTD come back

Same thing isn't it?
*saves renegade the bother :D Whistling nnocently

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 10:20 PM BST

Are you talking about the flat share episode? Yeah, woot, drama at it's finest. Errr