British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 845

New ep from Gaiman coming?

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/22535/is-neil-gaiman-writing-another-episode-of-doctor-who

Quote: Marc P @ September 3 2012, 9:51 AM BST

I don't think the tin pots have to develop,

No they don't HAVE to, but why not have a go? Show other elements, new elements, so you can approach them a little fresh, see them with new eyes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 10:01 AM BST

New ep from Gaiman coming?

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/22535/is-neil-gaiman-writing-another-episode-of-doctor-who

No they don't HAVE to, but why not have a go? Show other elements, new elements, so you can approach them a little fresh, see them with new eyes.

:D Good news Monday.

And yes you are right Matthew I just think the Moff would be better just writing for the show with some kind of associate producer/ overall creative consultant role. The American show runner model certainly works over there, not sure it does here on any of the shows that try and use it - mainly to do with money and back up/support I guess administratively as well as artistically.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 3 2012, 4:27 AM BST

The Dalek Asylum concept did not ring true, and anyone who thinks it was really good needs a firm kick up the backside. And they should quit smoking.

If as explained, the Daleks don't like killing their own kind - which is a well worn horror trope - then why not stick the faulty ones on a planet where they can get help?

Until Osrin started screwing with the computers, it was probably a really calm and relaxing environment where Daleks were nurtured and encouraged to face their disabilities.

*sits on unkicked backside and lights a Chesterfield Superking*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 3 2012, 11:35 AM BST

If as explained, the Daleks don't like killing their own kind - which is a well worn horror trope - then why not stick the faulty ones on a planet where they can get help?

Absolute poppycock to suggest the Daleks don't like killing their own kind or that they tolerate imperfection. In the old days, Daleks would kill each other. They would kill themselves for failure. What kind of evil, heartless villainous killing machine treats its disabled brothers with such kindness? Eh, put that in your pipe, old egg, and chuck it in the bin.

Think the bit of the show I had most trouble with was the daleks using nanobots to assimilate intruders. First off there is the tiredness of the assimilation trope which retrod the makeover of the cybermen,itself done much better in Star Trek with the Borg. Second there are technical issues, such as how Amy suffered no lasting ill effects from the process of physical restrucuring that had caused corpses to sprout maglites and turned Oswin into a tin can. Thirdly how does love, which under Moffatt seems to have replaced the sonic screwdriver as a panacea for all problems, exaclty combat nanotechnology. And, finally, though probably not exhaustively, are not daleks supposed to be quite hot on racial purity?

Quote: Kenneth @ September 3 2012, 12:53 PM BST

In the old days,

Key quote there; things have moved on! (For better or worse) :)

The Daleks said they find pure hatred beautiful, and that these Dalek's, though completely twisted and uncontollable, were now so full of pure hate that they couldn't bring themselves to destroy them.

To which you can either say, ooh, nice; or guh, new Who rubbish!

:)

Quote: Tursiops @ September 3 2012, 12:57 PM BST

Thirdly how does love, which under Moffatt seems to have replaced the sonic screwdriver as a panacea for all problems, exaclty combat nanotechnology.

It was about trying to hold on to her humanity, and un-Dalek like feelings, as long as possible, that's all. Trying to make her brain fight the effects as long as possible by holding onto a strongly human trait. It was also a trick to get Rory and Amy talking about their situation and bring them back together.

And, finally, though probably not exhaustively, are not daleks supposed to be quite hot on racial purity?

Meh, this is nothing new-

Blimey, can you imagine them putting something as gross as that in Who these days?!

Second there are technical issues, such as how Amy suffered no lasting ill effects from the process of physical restrucuring that had caused corpses to sprout maglites and turned Oswin into a tin can.

Well we don't know how far long the process was. It had started to affect her perception, but we saw no signs of actual, physical changes before the Doctor put the wristband on her.

Think the bit of the show I had most trouble with was the daleks using nanobots to assimilate intruders. First off there is the tiredness of the assimilation trope which retrod the makeover of the cybermen,itself done much better in Star Trek with the Borg.

Again, nothing new in the Daleks using one technique or other to use humans as drones, just a new technique-

Second there are technical issues, such as how Amy suffered no lasting ill effects from the process of physical restrucuring that had caused corpses to sprout maglites and turned Oswin into a tin can.

I have the strangest feeling Amy will sprout the eyestalk unexpectedly during her final episode. All she's gotta feel is hate and out it'll pop.

There was a bit early on when a Dalek said something and the doctor said something along the lines that he didn't think it was possible to hate the Daleks more but now he did. I wasn't really paying attention and it seemed a bit phoned in anyway. What was it the doctor was doing a half-arsed job of getting riled up about?

Quote: chipolata @ September 3 2012, 1:24 PM BST

What was it the doctor was doing a half-arsed job of getting riled up about?

I think it had to do with the Daleks saying that they find beauty in extreme hatred. Which is why they didn't kill off the wonky Daleks, as they thought they were well cool.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 3 2012, 1:14 PM BST

I have the strangest feeling Amy will sprout the stalk unexpectedly during her final episode. All she's gotta feel is randy and out it'll pop.

Mikey I think even Dr Who has a decency barrier.

When I watched Dalek in series one of New Who.

I thought ace not only is this spanking Dalek episode. But and more importantly either it's the last one and they'll replace it with something better. Or this is a new universe with the Dr and perhaps a few Daleks remenants of a far bigger war wondering through the ashes.

More interesting, darker, more mature. Like Dr Who had picked something up from the massive improvement in scifi in the intervening years.

But no just boring, repetation on a theme. Each Dalek incarnation getting sillier and sillier.

Well there were some passable bits. But not many.

The Daleks are turning into the VOyager Borg. A dull as dog shit alien race, being wheeled out again and again to make up for a complete lack of new ideas.

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 1:46 PM BST

A dull as dog shit alien race, being wheeled out again and again to make up for a complete lack of new ideas.

No, that's not why they're still 'wheeled out', it's because people want and expect them. Doctor Who is seen, by the wider public, as being The Doctor, the companion, the Tardis, time travel, and the Daleks. For better or worse the Daleks will always be a part of the show, just like the Tardis always will be.

Yes but they missed a chance to I dunno reinvent them. Like for example the Cybermen or the Cylons in BSG.
Or even the hoody triffids.

Dalek showed a very diferent and much cooler vision of the Daleks.

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 1:51 PM BST

Yes but they missed a chance to I dunno reinvent them. Like for example the Cybermen

They haven't reinvented the Cybermen, they've more or less ruined them! They should, basiclaly, be Zombies with brains, at the heart of horror stories. They should be scary, or creepy, in the same way the Angels, or The Silence have been treated, not metal, stomping soldiers with lazer guns. That's just dull. Redesign them and make them scary.

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 1:51 PM BST

Dalek showed a very diferent and much cooler vision of the Daleks.

Yes, they were treated well in that one. It made them seem dangerous. I quite liked the more odd, slightly horror take on them in Asylum though. Certainly a better treatment than in recent years.

Assignment: create a simple and credible dramatic scenario out of the following situation:

Two men, a bag of loot and a gun.

WRITER A:
Two men have robbed a bank. One man is wounded. The wounded man has a gun but can't move without the aid of the able-bodied man. The able-bodied man can't carry the loot and the wounded man. He can't run off with the loot or the wounded man will shoot him. The police are on their way...

WRITER B: (Steven Moffat)

One man shoots the other man killing him. The bullet splinters in half also killing the man who fired the gun. As falls he sets off a grenade he had hidden in his pocket which blows up the bag of loot.

Opening Credits.

Three NEW men come on followed by a helicopter and a speedboat and a dinosaur.