British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 844

Quote: Ben @ September 2 2012, 11:27 AM BST

Stott's broken and got involved! There's always a way!

Oh no, I'll always chat to you Ben; one hand on the keyboard, the other down my pants. Other's aren't so lucky.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 2 2012, 11:22 AM BST

Ha, really? If anything they could learn to slow things down a touch at times.

It is more a case of knowing when to slow down and when to speed up. They seem to think that if they whizz past anything remotely resembling exposition that the audience won't notice the massive holes in the plot; and then they give the audience time to lose interest by slowing down every time Murray Gold feels the urge to masturbate in front of his orchestra.

It's quite amazing, considering how many people saw it before broadcast, that they managed to keep THAT character a secret; and all they did was ask nicely. There are good people out there!

Quote: Ben @ September 2 2012, 9:10 AM BST

It seems to have received near unanimous praise from the critics.

Yep, lots and lots of good reviews; but the only one that matters is Renegade Carparks; will he appear, or did he suffer a rage induced aneurysm half way through?? Eh?

So we were promised an asylum full of the most bitterly evil, killer Daleks that were all so remarkably mental that even other daleks were too scared too enter.

I was really excited to see all the different types of Daleks locked away in different rooms on the way to the Doctors objective and how their madness and differences has effected them, each creating a new, original, problem for the doctor and his companions.

Unfortunately it appears that the doctor and his companions were sent to the Dalek special needs planet by mistake, full of sleepy Daleks having their naps and cerebral palsy Daleks who can't aim at a man standing a metre away. At least those Daleks had working guns though, it seamed to me in this episode that the doctor had developed Captain America's special power of, "not-ever-getting-shot-at-when-it-would-be-in-any-way-inconvenient" Even the world's sexiest Dalek, Oswin, didn't shoot the doctor when she decided to "eggsterminate" him.

The kicker for me was when the Doctor got safely back onto the ship in his Tardis, with millions of enemy Daleks outside, decided to step outside the Tardis to have a chat with them all. Remember when the Daleks would have shot foreign lifeforms on sight? Well never mind that because Mr Moffet has eliminated any illusion of danger in this show.

Quote: Jamey @ September 2 2012, 3:05 PM BST

never mind that because Mr Moffet has eliminated any illusion of danger in this show.

When it comes to the heroes, the baddies have always been slow, with the aim of a blind donkey.

I recall the end of one episode of (The brilliant) Remembrance Of The Dalek; one starts floating up the stairs towards the Doctor, screeching exterminate like a loon whilst the Doctor tries to get a door open; lasts about 47 minutes and he doesn't get fired at once! :D

Yeah there has always been baddy stupidity when it is convenient on New-Who (as on almost everything) but I don't recall an episode where I have genuinely got angry at the TV telling the monster to just kill the Doctor already.

I used to love watching the doctor and his companions figure out how to defeat the enemies over the course of an episode eventually coming up with a genius idea to defeat them, this episode was convenience after convenience and it pissed me off.

It was just a mess.

And aren't all daleks radio rentals any way?

Quote: Ben @ September 1 2012, 8:35 PM BST

I do hope Renegade Carpark is ok.

Controversy time: I enjoyed it. It had a plot, a beginning, middle and end. The new companion is a lovely bucket of sex sauce, the Dalek twist at the finale was unexpected and the Asylum concept was really good.

I was able to gloss over the latest Amy / Rory crap, terrible CGI, bad jokes and the weirdest thing of all - chained up Daleks. Why would you put an easily breakable chain on a Dalek?

Much better then I imagined - though next week's episode looks awful, so the show will balance out.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 2 2012, 5:54 PM BST

and the weirdest thing of all - chained up Daleks. Why would you put an easily breakable chain on a Dalek?

More importantly, how? Very fiddly for something with no 'hands'.

Controversy time: I enjoyed it. It had a plot, a beginning, middle and end. The new companion is a lovely bucket of sex sauce, the Dalek twist at the finale was unexpected and the Asylum concept was really good.

I was able to gloss over the latest Amy / Rory crap, terrible CGI, bad jokes and the weirdest thing of all - chained up Daleks. Why would you put an easily breakable chain on a Dalek?

Much better then I imagined - though next week's episode looks awful, so the show will balance out.

Why would you chain up a Dalek?

I think Russell T Davis could answer that...

Ha, that's only controversial on this thread.

And Oh f**k. I now have doubts... Teary

I wouldn't Matt, I suspect Renegade's spiked his own drink.

Again.

the Asylum concept was really good.

Has anyone said this premise was absolute rubbish? The Daleks and Davros never tolerated failure or imperfection of any kind. Surely the Daleks would just exterminate their faulty brethren. Even the lesser evil Nazis of real life had the tendency to discard the infirm and insane. The Dalek Asylum concept did not ring true, and anyone who thinks it was really good needs a firm kick up the backside. And they should quit smoking.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 3 2012, 4:27 AM BST

Has anyone said this premise was absolute rubbish? The Daleks and Davros never tolerated failure or imperfection of any kind. Surely the Daleks would just exterminate their faulty brethren.

They did explain it, but if you don't like the explanation, then you won't be happy, I suppose. Characters, even ranting tin pots, have to develop.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 8:52 AM BST

They did explain it, but if you don't like the explanation, then you won't be happy, I suppose. Characters, even ranting tin pots, have to develop.

I don't think the tin pots have to develop, it's a hive mind mentality. You can play around with Davros I guess, as they have done. But a mad/depressed Dalek is a bit like treating a Cyberman for lack of self esteem. I can see a rogue Dalek developing maybe, again as we have seen sometimes, but the Hive Mind creating an asylum doesn't really make sense in the history of them. But the reset button does and will get used again I guess.