British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 998

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 24 2012, 11:33 PM BST

It is entirely up to you whether you want to drag this conversation down to a personal level. I'd rather you didn't as there is already enough bad blood on this forum.

..and there's you with the "ignorant tit" remark, now trying to deflect the flak. No worries.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ August 24 2012, 11:37 PM BST

..and there's you with the "ignorant tit" remark, now trying to deflect the flak. No worries.

Did I specifically call you an ignorant tit or do you feel lumped in with other ignorant tits because of your own unfounded, trendy, liberal, anti-American stance?

Truly this is a battle between intellectual giants.

It's like Zombie Norman Mailer versus Reanimated Gore Vidal.

Quote: sootyj @ August 24 2012, 11:41 PM BST

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 24 2012, 11:40 PM BST

.. your own unfounded, trendy, liberal, anti-American stance?

You see.. there you go again, assuming that anyone who disagrees with your Chuck Heston neocon stance must be "anti"- american.

Quote: sootyj @ August 24 2012, 11:41 PM BST

Hey! You managed to spell it!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 24 2012, 11:33 PM BST

Just to change the subject somewhat - Polish Jersey Murderer, which sounds like a man with a grudge against turtle necks, apparently went on his nutty knife rampage because his wife had an affair.

That would somewhat explain his extreme reaction. It's not an excuse or a justification, but definitely a contributing factor.

Doesn't mean he should get anything but life imprisonment. And frankly, manslaughter should be things like driving badly and accidentally hitting someone. Not knifing your entire family to death because something bad happened to you.

Quote: zooo @ August 25 2012, 12:11 AM BST

Doesn't mean he should get anything but life imprisonment. And frankly, manslaughter should be things like driving badly and accidentally hitting someone. Not knifing your entire family to death because something bad happened to you.

It's a legal thing. Besides accidentally running someone over isn't manslaughter, in fact in the UK, there's no such crime as Vehicular Homicide, just causing death by dangerous driving.

But here is a good example - thug heads out on the streets with a knife in his pocket, gets into an altercation at the Asda cigarette kiosk with a stranger, pulls his knife and kills someone. He didn't know the victim beforehand and the motive for the killing was unclear / unpre-meditated. In the words of Alan Partridge, that is classic manslaughter.

As for the diminished responsibility - he hacked his family to death in broad daylight - hardly the actions of a cold blooded assassin seeking to conceal his crimes. So yep, manslaughter with diminished responsibility.

Neil Armstrong has died.

RIP Mr Spaceman.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 25 2012, 9:01 PM BST

Neil Armstrong has died.

RIP Mr Spaceman.

:( gutted.

I got accepted onto a US speakers Buru when my book came out. Strangely they listed the speakers on their website via first name. I was in the middle of Armstrong and Diamond. Still wish I had taken a screen shot......they went out of business.

RIP Armstrong. Fitting that he should beat Aldrin to death, though.

Quote: chipolata @ August 25 2012, 10:33 PM BST

Fitting that he should beat Aldrin to death, though.

Why wasn't this in the news? :O

Quote: Rob H @ August 25 2012, 11:07 PM BST

Why wasn't this in the news? :O

Read it again Sam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/tom-smith-rape_n_1834234.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Some people are just so... odd.
Maybe they have some mental deficiency where they can't empathise?

Quote: zooo @ August 27 2012, 11:29 PM BST

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/tom-smith-rape_n_1834234.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Some people are just so... odd.
Maybe they have some mental deficiency where they can't empathise?

Maybe he believes in the axiom 'Two wrongs don't make a right'?. Or more likely, the news people will always concentrate on the more extreme opinions of politicians.

I'm sure there have been loads of political types - including female politicians - who've been saying sensible things on the topics of rape and abortion, but they've been overshadowed by the more controversial opinions.

It does give you a massively skewed perspective of the political landscape.