British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 985

This is the problem with digital TV you can watch nothing but people you agree with

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 16 2012, 3:27 PM BST

I think you're really against Twitter because you know you'd end up getting sucked in and having another thing you end up wasting time on by checking it every five minutes.

I wasn't sure about FB or Twitter...then I was told to join Twitter by some writers/actors, so I did. I swore I'd hardly use it, but I got used to it. You find your place. PLUS, there's no extra stuff going on you can't control or don't know about...like with FB. I like it now. I only follow a few people...plus only follow shlebs who follow me back and actually make conversation. If they're boring, I get rid.

FB, on the other hand, has just got more and more complicated for me. I'm too old for all this stuff. Other people my age and older cope very well, but I think I'm old in the brain...ya know?...no new brain cells for learning new stuff? After 30 seconds of looking down my stupid bloody new timeline, which makes no sense at all to me (done without my consent I might add!), I just log off. What with all the game requests and 'share this' and 'like this' business, I'm sorry...I have to say 'f**k this'.

But...yes...Twitter I like now.

Quote: Joyce @ August 16 2012, 7:01 PM BST

You find your place. PLUS, there's no extra stuff going on you can't control or don't know about...like with FB.

Exactly. I don't remotely feel in control of FB. Hate spending any time there.

Quote: zooo @ August 16 2012, 7:05 PM BST

Exactly. I don't remotely feel in control of FB. Hate spending any time there.

Yeah...all my 'friends' think I'm dead...suits me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19292164

:O

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 16 2012, 2:20 PM BST

It's Twitter's greatest strength and biggest weakness. I think I'm against it so much because there aren't any accountable 'gate keepers' and despite living in a tech savvy / media savvy world, people still believe something if it's written down.

A modicum of intelligence and common sense are required to distinguish between nonsense and fact. Many organizations have official twitter feeds. When numerous people are tweeting about the same fire or natural disaster or some other unfolding event, they are unlikely to be making stuff up - especially when they are uploading photos of said event. I only ever look at Twitter to find breaking news. Don't need to know that Stephen Fry is having a scrumptious wank over Katy Perry.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 16 2012, 2:20 PM BST

Still unsure why the UK is getting a bashing over Julian Assange? It's the Swedes who want him extradited, the Americans who want him prosecuted and the EU forcing us to go along with it.

Because threatening to de-register an embassy would set a terrible precedent and indicates a craven desire to suck up to the US, in this case.

Quote: sootyj @ August 16 2012, 2:23 PM BST

nb with Assange. He is wanted by Sweden for an alleged sexual assault/rape. A case in which their prosecutor has made a credible case... And if the US wanted to extradite him, why wait till he's in Sweden? Their extradition with the US are rather tougher than ours I believe.

It will be easier to extradite him from Sweden because the UK is less susceptible to pressure from the US (due to public pressure not to be bullied). Sure Assange has blood on his hands for not originally removing some of the names of informers in the cables leaked by Bradley Manning. And sure he has sexual assault allegations to answer - one case of refusing to replace a broken condom during consensual sex, a case of engaging in sex with a woman as she slept and then refusing to use a condom, and of holding down that woman's arms during another sexual encounter. The dilemma facing Assange is that Sweden has refused to guarantee that it will not extradite him to the US, where would be held in solitary while blindfolded and have electrodes attached to his testicles, all broadcast live on Fox News. The bigger picture is that he exposed US war crimes, for which no one will be punished, apart from whistle-blower Manning and Assange himself.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 17 2012, 2:40 AM BST

Don't need to know that Stephen Fry is having a scrumptious wank over Katy Perry.

Absolutely spot on!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19292820

Hungarian homosexual Heathrow hotel homicide (holy illiteratian Batman!) the story features a man who murdered a couple and then hid inside the bed to avoid the police. Lovely.

WTF is the matter with people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19287398

:O He is gay? anyway we won't be getting the 30c weather= only you lucky Southerners! Bah!

Support 'Pussy Rage' No to the salt-mines! very bad guys!

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 18 2012, 1:04 AM BST

WTF is the matter with people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19287398

I'm afraid it's a nasty outbreak of Pussy Riot-style free will and people not sharing your opinion.

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Lazzard @ August 18 2012, 10:53 AM BST

I'm afraid it's a nasty outbreak of Pussy Riot-style free will and people not sharing your opinion.

Whistling nnocently

"seeks asylum in Ecuadorian embassy"

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/assange-demands-end-to-witch-hunt

I'm starting to quite dislike him

I've gone through several stages of differing opinions on the fellow.
Yesterday I was fairly on his side.
But right now I'm thinking he should just go and get questioned and stop making such a fuss. He's not even been charged.

Apparentlyyyyy, what he MAY have done is have sex without a condom, rather than any of the scary things conjured up by the term 'rape' which is being bandied about.
But were those women under the impression he was wearing one? And he lied? If so, f**k him.

It varies on what you read, but if it's true it's definitely a criminal case.

And who really believes Sweden is more likely to deport him than the UK?